CV axle replacement how to? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone I’m sure I’m missing it some how but I have used the search function (I promise) to try and find a how to for replacing CV axles and haven’t turned up anything. If someone could link me to one it would be appreciated. If some how there isn’t one I can put something together when I do it

See this CV Boots Replaced with directions. Disregard all the steps covering reboot

That's in the FAQ section.

Becareful not damage boots when inserting CV back in

Check the FAQ thread on the 100
Thank you, skipped over it because I didn’t think that was going to cover what I was looking for.

Can't replace an inner boot without taking everything apart.

Bumping this thread...

Is it worth trying to replace the CV axles yourself or should I have a shop do it? I've worked on lots of suspension jobs in the past, but never axles.

Bumping this thread...

Is it worth trying to replace the CV axles yourself or should I have a shop do it? I've worked on lots of suspension jobs in the past, but never axles.
Rebuilding the axle takes quite a bit more effort than the actual removal and replacement.

With the ability to rent tools from auto parts stores, it's not too bad of a job.

You'll likely need a puller of sorts to separate your ball joints.

Rebuilding the axle takes quite a bit more effort than the actual removal and replacement.

With the ability to rent tools from auto parts stores, it's not too bad of a job.

You'll likely need a puller of sorts to separate your ball joints.
I'm not planning on rebuilding it. I will replace the whole thing since the splines seem worn out and it clunks from Reverse to Drive.

I have a ball joint separator tool(s). Would there be any other special tools i'd need?

I've always found the guide from TLCFaq quite useful: Front Axle (CV) Assembly Replacement

Technically, you do not need to separate the ball joint to take out the CV axle. There is plenty of room to pull it out and I've done it a few times without taking it out. Although, separating does make the job easier, it saves you an extra step by not separating

I'm watching a video on the procedure and it looks doable. Do you guys recommend OEM axles or would aftermarket/autozone axles work just fine?

OEM ONLY! If you want to do it only once, do it right. A cheaper option would be to go with a re-manufactured OEM option, but please do not install aftermarket ones. I've had good experience with CVJ Axles in Colorado, but I'm sure others can chime in on some other reputable vendors.

I've rebooted mine as a complete newbie to CV/axel job. It's not easy but completely doable. I've damaged a boot while inserting back (there is a comment with details in the FAQ thread I linked above). Don't do that mistake, that will force you to get another axel or reboot. Take your time, do not hurry.

OEM ONLY! If you want to do it only once, do it right. A cheaper option would be to go with a re-manufactured OEM option, but please do not install aftermarket ones. I've had good experience with CVJ Axles in Colorado, but I'm sure others can chime in on some other reputable vendors.
Gotcha, yeah if someone can recommend a place to order from that would be great.

I second getting them at McGeorge Toyota. Cheapest place I could find online for OEM axles. Only go with OEM! I had some aftermarket axles in there for a while that were put in by my dealer and there was horrible vibration. Now nice and smooth.

No matter what I did, mine would not come out without separating the lower ball joint. If you have the right tool it's pretty easy. Overall, replacing the CV's is not hard. Make sure to put in new flanges and outer snap rings too. While the axles are out, you could replace the seal as well. Most would probably take this opportunity to replace or repack wheel bearings but CV's can be changed without touching them if needed.

Chris

I've always found the guide from TLCFaq quite useful: Front Axle (CV) Assembly Replacement

Technically, you do not need to separate the ball joint to take out the CV axle. There is plenty of room to pull it out and I've done it a few times without taking it out. Although, separating does make the job easier, it saves you an extra step by not separating

I had read this sort of comment before, but mine were definitely not coming out with that lower ball joint installed. I had quite a bit of force on it and still needed another inch or so. Maybe it's variable based on how much droop you have in that lower control arm?

I'm watching a video on the procedure and it looks doable. Do you guys recommend OEM axles or would aftermarket/autozone axles work just fine?

OEM 100%. That's the only way I feel confident the splines will be good. It's a very, very tight tolerance and you'd hate to finish up the job and realize you still have some play.

When I did mine just recently I also did new hub flanges. That way the mating splines are all brand new.

*Also note: to get the lower ball joint undone I had to remove the brake shield, which means the hub has to come off. Not a huge deal, but it meant a few extra steps I thought I could avoid. I'd plan on having to take the hub off entirely.

What kind of axles are CVJ? Would they be a good alternative to paying OEM price?

Last edited:
CVJ are OEM remans, they charge you a core and will only take your old OEM in return since that's what they use to rebuild.

I recommend upgrading the boots to OEM Toyota Boots. I upgraded previously to the High angle boots before, but they split after only a month of use for some reason (I was not lifted). They quickly replaced it, but it was just a pain having to do the job again.

I have replaced axles twice now due to torn boots.

I find removing the whole knuckle, which means removing the LBJ and UBJ made it easier for me. The first time I did it without removing the LBJ and I spent 1.5 hours of frustration getting it back in. Maybe I am missing something, but just wanted to share my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom