CV Boots Replaced with directions (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SUMMIT CRUISERS

SILVER Star
Threads
A few weekends ago I replaced my CV boots on my 99 LX470 which had one split and the other one was leaking. I chose not to disassemble the hubs because vehicle only has 56K. Reboot kits were purchased from Dan at American Toyota for about 30 bucks/side. For reference I used the 2004 FSM that I found here: PDF download for LC (pages SA-25 through SA-36 found under “Suspension and Axle”)

1. Jack up one side of the vehicle. Remove tire. Keep the side you are working on at least 4” higher to keep from losing differential fluid after pulling axle.
2. Remove the hub dust cap by tapping the seam with a very sharp screwdriver or scraper blade.
3. Remove the outer axle snap ring. New one not included in kit.
4. Remove the ABS sensor and harness (3 screws; 2 are 12m and a 10m holds it in place).
If the sensor does not remove, it can be left in place just make sure all the brackets holding the wire are removed to allow for additional movement needed when the ball joint(s) are popped loose.
5. Remove the brake caliper (2 bolts) and hang it up out of the way with zip ties or a bungee.
6. Remove the upper ball joint with a pitman arm puller. This creates a loud pop when separated. A large brass hammer works just as well by hitting the control arm downward in the sweet spot.
7. Go underneath and use 2 pry bars to work the inboard joint assembly out of the differential. Using the pry bars on the 9:30 and 2:30 position works great. (slightly above the horizontal middle line). Be careful not to bend the dust covers. If you do just straighten them prior to assembly.
8. Pull inboard joint assembly out of differential. Now pull outboard joint out of hub. Now pull complete unit out the outer side. I found it may be necessary to remove the lower ball joint in order to clearance the joints. This will be done with a pitman arm puller.
9. *In order to clear the shock mount and the stabilizer mount I turned the steering wheel to align the outboard boot with maximum clearance between the two.
10. Cut bands off the boots with a 3” air powered cutting disc or tin snips.
11. Place the inboard joint over a small pan to catch grease and cut the boot length-wise with a sharp knife or large scissors.
12. *Remove inner tulip ring next to the balls and cage with a very small flat screwdriver. (Very important)
13. Now the inboard balls and cage will slide out of the tulip. Make sure you have the cage and balls over a bucket so you don't lose any balls. Note cage direction before removal and marking of matchmarks using a paint pen (see FSM).
14. Remove the inner snap ring that holds the inner race on the shaft.
15. Remove the inner race by striking it with a brass hammer sliding it off the axle end.
16. Clean balls, cage and parts with brake cleaner. *Be careful while cleaning the cage it is extremely sharp and will cut your fingers.
14. Place outboard joint over a pan and cut and remove the boot.
15. *Outboard joint does not come apart. Clean with a can of brake fluid.
16. Position outboard joint and axle shaft vertically to fill with CV grease (larger tube).
17. Tape axle splines with electrical tape to protect boot installation. Install boot. *I chose to use 3/16” smooth band worm-drive hose clamps found here: McMaster-Carr
part #5574K25 4” to 4-3/4” and part #5574K16 1” to 1-5/8”
18. Slide inboard boot over shaft, then cage, note cage direction (smaller end goes first).
19. Remove tape and install inner race with brass hammer and install new snap ring.
20. Reassemble cage with balls while installing it in tulip or use CV grease to hold balls in place. Note to self and others: It's easier to grease the balls and they just sit in to the openings. Fill the tulip with grease, then insert the cage with greased balls into the tulip filled with grease. Install new inner ring.
21. Fill assembly vertically with smaller tube CV grease unless you already filled the tulip as noted in the second part of 20. above. Now slide boot over cage and install clamps.
22. Remove old and install new axle snap ring on the end of axle. Apply grease to snap ring in order to position it with the opening towards the bottom.
23. Insert axle into differential and apply pressure on the inboard tulip until in “locks” in. Look underneath at other axle to insure that full insertion is achieved. Try pulling it out to make sure it is locked in. Driver’s side went in easy. *Passenger side was a 1 ½ hour project which I couldn’t get it to lock in until I ended up tapping a 3’ 2”x2” with a towel on the boot end to lock it in.

Tip from @Asanka
"The only issue I came across is at inserting the axle back. Tried tapping using a 2x2 on a towel as described in step 23 and ended up with damaged inner boot. So after rebooting it with a new boot again I had to take a bit more look into how to insert it back. And figured out its not as hard as described here. I went under and aligned the axle by pushing slightly up and a another set of hands used a pry bar to give couple of taps on the grip/grove on inner end of the axle. It went in very easy. Please correct step number 23, that may help newbies like me."

24. Insert the outboard joint into the hub. Prior to I added some wheel bearing grease into exposed hub bearing and used a needle tip to insert grease into upper ball joint bottom boot opening.
25. *Pull the upper and lower arms together to set the ball joint by using a small ratchet strap. Torque the ball joint nut to 81 ft lbs. Install cotter pin. Install outer axle snap ring and dust cap.
26. Install brake caliper, abs sensor and tire/wheel.
27. 2 hours later, one side complete, now perform the same on the other. Plan on 3 hours per side if you including cleaning the hubs/rotors and repacking the wheel bearings.

(*) indicates helpful hints I learned.

1st pic is the Pitman arm puller on the upper ball joint.
2nd pic is the important inboard inner tulip ring removed in order to remove the cage and balls.
Last pic is installed with smooth band hose clamps.

More pics available.
1Upper ball joint removed by pitman arm puller resized.JPG
2Lexus 470 CV joints 023.JPG
CV Boots 017.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up.

I've heard those clamps are a bad idea, cause balancing issues and such.

Have any problems with them yet?

Thanks for the write up.

I've heard those clamps are a bad idea, cause balancing issues and such.

Have any problems with them yet?

None yet. Haven't really driven it. Tomorrow I'm taking it out for about 600 miles. You may be right about the balancing. I think I'll rotate the clamps opposite of each other to help eliminate that possibility. Thanks.

Very nice write-up, thanks!

Sounds like this is a job I want to wait until I get new Upper Control Arms and do it all at the same time.

Interested to hear if those clamps cause issues of not.

Somewhere around 6 and 7 did you pop the lower arm too or is there enough clearance removing only the upper?

As for the hose clamps and balance, I don't think the diameter of the CV is enough to get enough centripetal force going to cause balance problems. But who knows.

Somewhere around 6 and 7 did you pop the lower arm too or is there enough clearance removing only the upper?

As for the hose clamps and balance, I don't think the diameter of the CV is enough to get enough centripetal force going to cause balance problems. But who knows.

I only removed the upper ball joint. Clearance was a problem between the shock and stabilizer mounts until I turned the steering wheel, then the CV slides right out.

As far as the clamps go, I put standard hose clamps over my factory clamps on the small ends for more than 3 years with no problems. A friend of mine uses them on his FJ Cruiser and having never seen them before, I was impressed. The way they are made with rolled edges should eliminate the possiblity of cutting the boot caused by overtightening of standard hose clamps. They are also reusable for the next time.

Last edited:
Just did my passenger side boots and would like to add a few notes to Summit Cruisers excellent directions - probably more helpful for first timers like myself.

#1. I was using a bottle jack that couldn't get high enough. In the screw type jack location (behind front wheel), I was at about 18.5 inches and it wasn't enough to keep 0 diff fluid from coming out. Some dripped, not a lot though. Make sure you have a jack (and stands) that can lift you high enough to get those 4" above the other side.

#6. I ended up removing the lower arm as well - the pitman arm puller I bought at Advance Auto could not fit. Thankfully my neihbor is a gear head and had a 2 arm gear puller (jaws were ~5" long each side). That did the trick for the lower arm. Also, the nut on the lower arm is 24mm.

#7. I used the brass bar (9/16" diameter by 7"). At least for me on the passenger side, I could only tap it out a little bit (awkward angle), but it took a strong pull to get it out.

#9. I had difficulty getting it out without removing the lower arm - it could be that I didn't yank it out until after I took the lower arm off as well. For the Driver's side, I'll try just the upper again though.

#12. The FSM says to use a screwdriver and that made it easy. Snap ring plier is wrong tool for this.

#13. I made the matchmarks using an indelible marker and even after wiping it stayed on. However after cleaning with the brake cleaner, the mark was cleaned off so I wasn't able to put back together using the matchmarks.

#14. This was an extreme PITA for me - don't know why, but even though I had two sizes of snap ring pliers it was a challenge to get this sucker off. Hopefully next time it won't take me as long. My boot kit did come with a replacement ring which was good 'cause I bent the old one trying to get it off.

#15. I cleaned with brake cleaner, however since you can't disassemble the outboard joint, I couldn't really clean it as well as I'd like, and I couldn't even tell for sure if all the brake cleaner was cleaned out either. I let it dry and hope that no residue was left.

#17. I tried using the stock ear type clamp for the outboard side. I bought a universal ear clamp tool from advanced auto but it didn't work. I stuck with the same clamps as Summit Cruiser and counter balanced them. Way easier, adjustable, and reusable.

#25. Wish I had a ratchet strap available for that. I just muscled the lower one in first and loosely put the nut on, then muscled the upper joint into place and loosely put the nut on. Hub is heavier than I expected.

23. Insert axle into differential and apply pressure on the inboard tulip until in “locks” in. Look underneath at other axle to insure that full insertion is achieved. Try pulling it out to make sure it is locked in. Driver’s side went in easy. *Passenger side was a 1 ½ hour project which I couldn’t get it to lock in until I ended up taping a 3’ 2”x2” with a towel on the boot end to lock it in.

:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

Help I cannot insert the driver side axle all the way in to the diff !!!! I can't lock-in the inboard axle back into the diff!!! I tried muscling it in but it will not go back into the differential all the way and lock in.

Did you guys have to tap the inboard tulip pretty hard with a 2x4 for it to lock in? Did you guys tap it on the same lip that has to be also to pull it out?

HEEELLLLLP!!

:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

Help I cannot insert the driver side axle all the way in to the diff !!!! I can't lock-in the inboard axle back into the diff!!! I tried muscling it in but it will not go back into the differential all the way and lock in.

Did you guys have to tap the inboard tulip pretty hard with a 2x4 for it to lock in? Did you guys tap it on the same lip that has to be also to pull it out?

HEEELLLLLP!!

I used my brass hammer and gave the 2x2 a good firm hit. Here's a pic of it. Note the towel on the end to protect the rubber boot.
Lexus 470 CV joints 045.JPG

Thanks Summit! I actually had the truck all buttoned up and ready to get towed. I went underneath the truck again and used a short 5" 2x4 and whacked it in place. It look good now.

Thanks a lot guys for the fast response. BTW I had to use about 4 cans of brake cleaner to clean the outboard tulip. The grease on the inboard tulip was in bad shape and very runny.

Tony,

I'm glad the board trick worked out for you. I saw your reply this a.m. and remembered what a PITA it was trying to get that axle to pop in. The 1 1/2 hour of frustration, pushing with all my force and rechecking the snap ring direction over and over just about made me think "what have I done wrong?" especially since the first side had gone in without a hitch. Anyway, it's behind us now.

Steve

Hi guys,

I read almost every thread on this and this seems to be the best thread with the most info... So I hope this is the right place to post. I just got back from around a 2000-mile trip in Baja, Mex. Right before Ensenada I had a pretty foul sound coming from the drivers side rear tire.... Turned out to be a small rock in the dust shield. While looking around to find the problem I noticed my drivers side CV was starting to spit a lot of grease.... I ham guessing I have lost 1/2 the grease that should be in there. When I got to San Diego, I read through all these threads on the subject and attempted to do a reboot... However, I just didn’t have all the right tools and the guys I was borrowing stuff from didn’t have it either. So... needing to get back to San Francisco I installed a new clamp and checked it on my way back. It seems to have held everything great on the way back.

So...reflecting on where I got when I tried to get it done in SD, I have a few questions so I can knock this out right this time....

1. First is more of an observation and comment I didn’t see covered in any of the other threads... I went to a local dealer to pick up a reboot kit. When I went to the auto parts store to pick up a clamping tool, I noticed the kit had both the OEM style that every one has been saying works best and the new crimping style that are yellow like in the post 2000 put up. So, I went back to the dealership to ask about it. They told me there was no reason for the two different types and gave me all of the newer yellow crimping style (since these were supposed to be the newer and better version). Well when I got home I found that the yellow bands only fit one of the two boots in the kit. Crap right!!!!! The yellow crimping bands will only fit the larger of the two boots. You still need the older style for the smaller boot and two different tools for the bands.... as the kit came from Toyota. So...

2. First question - Where is the best source to get NEW boot clamps and the correct tool. I do not want to use the crimping style and would prefer to not use the standard band clamps at this time. I think they are great for a trail repair... but personally would prefer to not use them as a permanent fix at this time.

3. Which Pitman arm puller do you recommend? I tried two dif. types and neither would separate the Upper Arm and I broke one. Granted it was not very heavy duty and the other was too large to work right.

4. The instructions in the repair manual call torques in both inch pounds and foot-pounds. Is there (1) torque wrench you would recommend that can do both or can you recommend good wrenches I should get for each? I haven’t used one since I was an Engineman in the US Navy over 12 years ago. So, I am a little rusty on what is available.

5. In the repair Manual it has you remove the steering arm, but I am not seeing that step listed in the instructions for this thread. Did you find it was unnecessary?

6. Is it absolutely necessary to remove the dust shield? If so... It is absolutely necessary to reinstall them. I have had issues with them more than once.

7. Does any one have a pic of the outer axle snap ring installed? Would love to know what I am looking at first.

8. I didn’t see it anywhere, but I am guessing in order to tap the inboard side out of the differential you need to remove the skid plate right?

I think this is it for now. Thanks guys and sorry for the long post. If any one is here in San Francisco and wants to help out with this I will buy Pizza and Beer.... being able to use a drive way would be much better that street parked on a hill in front of my Condo....

-J

Hi guys,

I read almost every thread on this and this seems to be the best thread with the most info... So I hope this is the right place to post. I just got back from around a 2000-mile trip in Baja, Mex. Right before Ensenada I had a pretty foul sound coming from the drivers side rear tire.... Turned out to be a small rock in the dust shield. While looking around to find the problem I noticed my drivers side CV was starting to spit a lot of grease.... I ham guessing I have lost 1/2 the grease that should be in there. When I got to San Diego, I read through all these threads on the subject and attempted to do a reboot... However, I just didn’t have all the right tools and the guys I was borrowing stuff from didn’t have it either. So... needing to get back to San Francisco I installed a new clamp and checked it on my way back. It seems to have held everything great on the way back.

So...reflecting on where I got when I tried to get it done in SD, I have a few questions so I can knock this out right this time....

1. First is more of an observation and comment I didn’t see covered in any of the other threads... I went to a local dealer to pick up a reboot kit. When I went to the auto parts store to pick up a clamping tool, I noticed the kit had both the OEM style that every one has been saying works best and the new crimping style that are yellow like in the post 2000 put up. So, I went back to the dealership to ask about it. They told me there was no reason for the two different types and gave me all of the newer yellow crimping style (since these were supposed to be the newer and better version). Well when I got home I found that the yellow bands only fit one of the two boots in the kit. Crap right!!!!! The yellow crimping bands will only fit the larger of the two boots. You still need the older style for the smaller boot and two different tools for the bands.... as the kit came from Toyota. So...

2. First question - Where is the best source to get NEW boot clamps and the correct tool. I do not want to use the crimping style and would prefer to not use the standard band clamps at this time. I think they are great for a trail repair... but personally would prefer to not use them as a permanent fix at this time.

3. Which Pitman arm puller do you recommend? I tried two dif. types and neither would separate the Upper Arm and I broke one. Granted it was not very heavy duty and the other was too large to work right.

[tsarte] I used the bigger one from the pix below

4. The instructions in the repair manual call torques in both inch pounds and foot-pounds. Is there (1) torque wrench you would recommend that can do both or can you recommend good wrenches I should get for each? I haven’t used one since I was an Engineman in the US Navy over 12 years ago. So, I am a little rusty on what is available.

5. In the repair Manual it has you remove the steering arm, but I am not seeing that step listed in the instructions for this thread. Did you find it was unnecessary?

[tsarte] Nope not necessary

6. Is it absolutely necessary to remove the dust shield? If so... It is absolutely necessary to reinstall them. I have had issues with them more than once.

7. Does any one have a pic of the outer axle snap ring installed? Would love to know what I am looking at first.

8. I didn’t see it anywhere, but I am guessing in order to tap the inboard side out of the differential you need to remove the skid plate right?

[tsarte] Yes - remove the skid plate - gives more wiggle room to remove the axle

I think this is it for now. Thanks guys and sorry for the long post. If any one is here in San Francisco and wants to help out with this I will buy Pizza and Beer.... being able to use a drive way would be much better that street parked on a hill in front of my Condo....

-J

see my comments above. here are some pix below.
IMG_1120.jpg
IMG_1124.jpg
IMG_1135.jpg

see my comments above. here are some pix below.

the third pix shows me using the snap ring pliers but you don't need to use it for that snap ring. that snap ring is easiest to remove gently with a screwdriver

Unbolt the knuckle from the UCA. Just replace the cotter pin when you bolt it back up. Was easier for me, I had to do it twice in 2 days since Toyota assembled my CV with a cut boot.

And yes, the outer joint boot is bigger in diameter, that is why the clamps do not fit. The new part # CV and rebuild kits both have yellow (painted) stainless steel clamps and yellow clamps.

Hi Guys Great thread, I'v just done the inner boot on my right hand drive 100 and I now seem to have a wandering in the steering in a straight line. I followed the thread to do the job and it all went well, but do the upper ball joint and the steering ball joint have to be pulled back in or forced back in because I just greased them up pushed them in and did up the nut and put the split pin back. could you let me know if these ball joints need to be reassembled and forced back in.

Hi Guys Great thread, I'v just done the inner boot on my right hand drive 100 and I now seem to have a wandering in the steering in a straight line. I followed the thread to do the job and it all went well, but do the upper ball joint and the steering ball joint have to be pulled back in or forced back in because I just greased them up pushed them in and did up the nut and put the split pin back. could you let me know if these ball joints need to be reassembled and forced back in.

I've never had to force the tapers of the ball joints or steering knuckle bracket upon reassembly. FWIW I wouldn't grease the tapers just make sure they're clean.

First - if I understand your question about ball joints, if you torque the nut to spec they should be forced into the correct position.

Second - regarding your wandering, I know some people feel very strongly that a CV Joint job done right doesn't require an alignment but it can sometimes. Based on my (basic) understanding, as an example two people can put the same driveshaft back in since ours don't bolt in one person could force it in further than the other. The FSM basically tells you to eyeball how far in they need to go iirc. Also, there is a tolerance of +- Xmm for how long the reassembled driveshaft can be - it seems obvious to me that if you reassembled the driveshaft at to a different length than it was (even if it's within spec) then you will have caused your toe to get screwed up and would require realignment.

Bottom line - if you just did the job and your alignment doesn't feel right, get it checked and get it corrected if there's a problem. Obviously something's off if you're having wandering - best case it's your alignment, worst case you f'd something else up ;) Also, fyi, firestone has lifetime alignments for ~150 (pays for itself after 2 alignments) if you trust them with your car. Also some shops will either do free alignments, or nominal fee (like $25) to check it.

The outer end of the axle slides out the hub by just removing the outer snap ring? no need to remove the 6 nuts and special large nut?

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom