Custom Inside the Frame Exhaust using 105 header (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I always hated how the factory exhaust placed the cats outside the frame and looped under. For such a beast of an offroad machine it always felt like a dumb oversight that I wanted to change. After smashing my cat on my last wheeling trip, I decided I needed to reroute the exhaust this time around (and install sliders).

I found a set of APS headers on eBay (from Australia) meant for a 105 series that routed exhaust inside the frame. I bought a Flowmaster high flow catalytic converter, a Summit Racing turbo muffler, a short flex pipe, and a kit of mandrel bent 2.5" tubing and set to work fabricating a custom exhaust. This was my first ever attempt at custom exhaust work beyond making a test pipe to delete my second converter. It was a tight squeeze around the transfer case, and I'll probably end up having to delete the rear heater, but it fits and is much safer

I have everything tacked together and hangers placed. Now its time to pull it all out, finish weld, and paint the exhaust before final installation. I'm hoping for a low mellow sound that has some roar at WOT, but hoping it is relatively quiet at idle and cruise.

And yes, I plan to address all the surface rust. I tend to be lazy about cleaning mud off after wheeling and kick myself when I end up with surface rust to clean up.

PXL_20230206_024210216.jpg

PXL_20230206_024227625.jpg

PXL_20230206_024242265.jpg

PXL_20230206_024250463.jpg

PXL_20230206_024310610.jpg

I suspect Mr Ts engineers ran it out side the frame for a reason like to keep heat away from the transmission & transfer case ;)
Also looks like you have some wires that are dangerously close.
The 93-94 models go over the frame not sure why they changed that !
I still have to finish rerouting wires and will heat protect them. I agree heat was probably part of the consideration, but that was also using catalytic converter tech from 25 years ago too. The 105 uses the same running gear but routes inside the frame, so I don't think the heat was as big of a problem as packaging 2 massive suitcase cats.

I do plan on doing a few things to mitigate heat issues as well. I was hoping to have room for a heat shield around the cat but will have to make due with something else since I won't have room. I'll change T-Case fluid and trans fluid once a year just as an extra precaution

It looks great!
But my solution was a whole lot less expensive and invasive.

It looks great!
But my solution was a whole lot less expensive and invasive.
I thought about something like that but I was going to need new exhaust regardless because of how many points had been damaged. Picking up a fairly significant increase in flow too with fewer bends, larger tubing, and freer flowing cat and muffler.

I do ;)
And so do my Kids

You going to Cruise Moab this year ?

you probably shouldn't live in CA then, everything there causes cancer.. don't you see the Prop 65 warnings everywhere!?

You mention surface rust; all I see is experience and character. Good work!
That's all I see also, but all the guys in the South and West freak out when they see a little orange. I've lived in the rust belt my whole life. By my standards I own a rust free truck hahahahaha

That's all I see also, but all the guys in the South and West freak out when they see a little orange. I've lived in the rust belt my whole life. By my standards I own a rust free truck hahahahaha
If you saw what my Arizona truck looked like…. You’d cry….

If you saw what my Arizona truck looked like…. You’d cry….
I bet I would. But in my ownership it would probably end up looking like mine in no time. I get home from wheeling and just park the truck, then get mad at myself when I have to pressure wash it off to work on it and uncover more surface rust. If I owned a truly rust free rig, I'd probably feel bad even thinking about getting it dirty lol

I bet I would. But in my ownership it would probably end up looking like mine in no time. I get home from wheeling and just park the truck, then get mad at myself when I have to pressure wash it off to work on it and uncover more surface rust. If I owned a truly rust free rig, I'd probably feel bad even thinking about getting it dirty lol
Definitely. Makes me sad when people take desert trucks up to the north east

Definitely. Makes me sad when people take desert trucks up to the north east
There are some people in the rust belt that do a phenomenal job of keeping them nice and clean. I'm not one of those. Mine rarely sees salt but it sees a good amount of mud that I'm not good about washing off

This is the stupidest statement I have heard, living somewhere where there are no Prop 65 warning certainly won't save you from cancer. Nor will living where they have the warnings.
That being said I'm a Cancer survivor and feel more fortunate then you, they can cure cancer they can't fix stupid !!
It was a joke, but i’m very happy you are healthy even though i’m stupid 👌

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom