Custom 9.5 front axle build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am trying to build a front diamond axle with 9.5 3rd elocked and need a little help. I have an LX450 on 40s and I have a bent front axle housing. Can we flip the 9.5 elocked diff to make it more of a “higher” pinion. If no, can we point the diff at the tcase for the dc drive shaft to work properly? The angle looks very steep compared to my rear that is pointed at the tcase. Can we clock the knuckles to create positive caster.

I am trying to build a front diamond axle with 9.5 3rd elocked and need a little help. I have an LX450 on 40s and I have a bent front axle housing. Can we flip the 9.5 elocked diff to make it more of a “higher” pinion. If no, can we point the diff at the tcase for the dc drive shaft to work properly? The angle looks very steep compared to my rear that is pointed at the tcase. Can we clock the knuckles to create positive caster.
why not run the HP 8 inch from the 80 series

Sure, if want your front tires to spin the opposite direction of the rears. Might be fun

Sure, if want your front tires to spin the opposite direction of the rears. Might be fun
Lol. Got it.
why not run the HP 8 inch from the 80 series
I don’t think the HP 8 is as strong as the 9.5.

If I point the diff at the tcase, does anyone know the degree I should have diamond axle clock the knuckles for positive caster appropriate for good geometry. I have a 6” slee springs and arms.

Lol. Got it.

I don’t think the HP 8 is as strong as the 9.5.

If I point the diff at the tcase, does anyone know the degree I should have diamond axle clock the knuckles for positive caster appropriate for good geometry. I have a 6” slee springs and arms.

Is Diamond welding on all of your bracketry? I assume not as all the photos i see of fresh axles from them are just of housings, the end user is responsible for perches or link mounts etc. If you have more welding to do after receiving the axle, I would just ask Diamond to ship the knuckle balls loose or only tacked in place. That way you can set everything up the way it should be on your truck. Have whoever welds your suspension brackets on weld the knuckles to the housing once everything is setup and caster/pinion angle are properly set.

Asking someone on the internet to solve this problem for you is asking for trouble.

Is Diamond welding on all of your bracketry? I assume not as all the photos i see of fresh axles from them are just of housings, the end user is responsible for perches or link mounts etc. If you have more welding to do after receiving the axle, I would just ask Diamond to ship the knuckle balls loose or only tacked in place. That way you can set everything up the way it should be on your truck. Have whoever welds your suspension brackets on weld the knuckles to the housing once everything is setup and caster/pinion angle are properly set.

Asking someone on the internet to solve this problem for you is asking for trouble.
Good point. Thank you for your help.

if you are looking at a diamond housing why not go with a tundra 10.5 centre and dana 60 outers with toy wheel pattern.

if you are looking at a diamond housing why not go with a tundra 10.5 centre and dana 60 outers with toy wheel pattern.
$$$$$$$$ ??????

He probably has all the parts on his factory housing to swap to the diamond housing, so he's into it for 1000-1200, versus 4000-5000. Aren't the D60 RCV's something like $2800 for the set?

If we're playing this game, why diamonds when you can build JFH portal axles with cheap 8" or 9.5" toyota diffs?

$$$$$$$$ ??????

He probably has all the parts on his factory housing to swap to the diamond housing, so he's into it for 1000-1200, versus 4000-5000. Aren't the D60 RCV's something like $2800 for the set?

If we're playing this game, why diamonds when you can build JFH portal axles with cheap 8" or 9.5" toyota diffs?
stronger than 8 hp or 9.5 and can get matching gears to 5.29 without having to redo the rear axle at same time. If you are spending the $ to build a 9.5 hybrid it isnt cheap in the first place. Im in the same boat on 40's and thats what I am looking at. Can add a matching rear down the road vs haivng mix and match ratios with tons.

Diamond shipped is about 2k, 3rd with 9.5 locked is about $1k or less, 3 link is about $1.5, about $1k for high steer, about $1k for new gears (5.29) and I am hoping $500 for welding so $6.5 for 3 linked 9.5” front elocked. I have the RCV chromoly front shafts already. If I can get it down for less, I would like the input.

9.5 Ready to go

FF219EC6-46E8-4556-BA20-D6AE175DAA0C.jpeg

Curious as to why not upgrade to the hellfire 80 outer stuff or at least 6 shooter knuckles ?
I have found that no matter what extent the axle is built to the 9.5 carriers, detroit, arb, stock with lunch box locker, s*** the bed, the internals and cross shaft just are not big enough. Sure they run , no issues, for years, on 40's or whatever people say, they may not use their equipment the same as others. I am not hard on axles and never broke the axle, have spit out all three of the above named carriers, some still runing , minus teeth and pending failure but working.

Curious as to why not upgrade to the hellfire 80 outer stuff or at least 6 shooter knuckles ?
I have found that no matter what extent the axle is built to the 9.5 carriers, detroit, arb, stock with lunch box locker, s*** the bed, the internals and cross shaft just are not big enough. Sure they run , no issues, for years, on 40's or whatever people say, they may not use their equipment the same as others. I am not hard on axles and never broke the axle, have spit out all three of the above named carriers, some still runing , minus teeth and pending failure but working.
Was planning to do diamond high steer knuckles but if hellfire is better I will go that route. I really hope I don’t blow up the 9.5 diff. I am running steel rims and cooper STT pros. That combination is very little compared to trail grapplers and bead locks.

The Key steering arms from diamond are what i have. , i do not see them failing

The diamond arms are fine, and in my experience the axles are good and there are aftermarket upgrades in that respect, steering stops set properly help here.
The 9,5 is fine, kept in good working order, fluid changes, check pinion bearing, check axle splines periodically, etc.....

I used a 8x semi float rear and put balls on it turned it into a frt. Im running 40 inch stickies

75614231_2454481707980858_5821381123762028544_n.jpg

78772338_2495670217195340_6003075544806064128_o.jpg

76648961_402553367297035_3715441728048594944_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom