Custom 9.5 front axle build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a suggested/better choice of a 9.5 3rd member to use for a custom front build?
It’s gonna get an ARB so the original carrier will be gone anyway...I’ll be running a FF80 in the rear. Anything to avoid?
Thanks in advance.

Theyre all about the same, but I think there was some pinion spline changes and maybe pinion flange changes during the late 60 series or early 80 series.

Best would probably be late 80 series for a donor.

I think a russian fella has some pics of his with a 9.5" front and 80 outers in the 80 section running on 42's or bigger.

I don't recall off the top of my head, but there was some improvements made to the 9.5" diff in the 100. Could be just that the casting was slightly different, allowing for a ring gear thrust bolt to be installed.

I don't recall off the top of my head, but there was some improvements made to the 9.5" diff in the 100. Could be just that the casting was slightly different, allowing for a ring gear thrust bolt to be installed.
Interesting..

You might see if Brian Ellinger has any suggestions but I’d say 80-100 as well. I’ve read that the 80 series 3rd members are stronger because of additional ribbing but I can’t confirm that. Not sure is 100 series are the same or not..

For the front, staying Toyota, you're limited to 40 or 60 series. Unless you don't mind using a rear diff in the front and running on the backside of the gears. Others would know if there is a significant strength difference running them that way.

For the front, staying Toyota, you're limited to 40 or 60 series. Unless you don't mind using a rear diff in the front and running on the backside of the gears. Others would know if there is a significant strength difference running them that way.
Custom housing with a 9.5 center section and 80 series knuckle balls, running 80 series shaft, birfields, knuckles etc.

you can debate which is stronger between a 8” high pinion and a 9.5 low pinion in a front axle.

You might see if Brian Ellinger has any suggestions but I’d say 80-100 as well. I’ve read that the 80 series 3rd members are stronger because of additional ribbing but I can’t confirm that. Not sure is 100 series are the same or not..
Talked to Brian several times about this actually, his basic opinion was any of them would suffice but the 100...

Custom housing with a 9.5 center section and 80 series knuckle balls, running 80 series shaft, birfields, knuckles etc.

you can debate which is stronger between a 8” high pinion and a 9.5 low pinion in a front axle.
Not much debate really, hyoid ratios, gear contact, size, thickness etc all say the 9.5 is still stronger. Nice thing is the 9.5 is more of a mid-pinion design than something like a 9” Ford. The 9.5 pinion centerline is only approx 1.5” lower than the 8” hi pinion...
I’ve been in wheeling Toyota’s for 35 plus years and I can’t tell you how many 8” hi pinions I’ve seen blown up, especially if you have a tough reverse..

Unless you don't mind using a rear diff in the front and running on the backside of the gears.
Thats not how that works.

The diffs in a 40 or 60 can be swapped front to rear with absolutely no difference. Same as you can run an 80 or 100 rear diff in the front of a 60 or any custom application, drive is drive, coast is coast. They are the same.

The only weirdness is when it comes to high pinion diffs, but no one is talking about 9.5" high pinion diffs in a land cruiser.

Not much debate really, hyoid ratios, gear contact, size, thickness etc all say the 9.5 is still stronger. Nice thing is the 9.5 is more of a mid-pinion design than something like a 9” Ford. The 9.5 pinion centerline is only approx 1.5” lower than the 8” hi pinion...
I’ve been in wheeling Toyota’s for 35 plus years and I can’t tell you how many 8” hi pinions I’ve seen blown up, especially if you have a tough reverse..
I agree, I said that because people argue over which is better.

3DC399A7-3AAD-4294-A10C-0571AFEB0665.jpeg

i am in the 9.5 camp, that’s a SF rear housing with 80 knuckle balls.

The diffs in a 40 or 60 can be swapped front to rear with absolutely no difference
Yes, but aren't the gears turning the opposite direction?

I haved made the 9.5 front mod.... in our country the 9.5 change in 2003 front 30 spline to 32 spline ... but the carrier is the same... the only problem I found in this mod is the steering control arm... need to upgrade your knucles the steering need to move to the front..

I haved made the 9.5 front mod.... in our country the 9.5 change in 2003 front 30 spline to 32 spline ... but the carrier is the same... the only problem I found in this mod is the steering control arm... need to upgrade your knucles the steering need to move to the front..
Yeah that’s been addressed. Thx for the info

I built one of these using a 80 series rear semi float housing. It is not difficult but takes some depending on what tools you have.

There is another thread in this section where another member documented the build of a 9.5 front using a 80 series rear semi float housing.

At the time i was not aware that i could have got 80 Balls ,Had i known that i am not sure if i would change anything . Hellfire knuckles are hard to get. I am confident that the RCV axle will be just fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom