Custom 9.5 front axle build (1 Viewer)

Toyoland66

SILVER Star
There are definite advantages to using the 80 balls. Although the birfields aren’t the weak link anymore - even with mini truck sized birfs if they are 30 spline chromo the shafts break before the birfs - the 80 knuckles are stronger. The trunnion bearings are spaced further apart and the brakes are better. The steering options are the challenge, although the high steer options are limited (hellfire knuckles or Slee arms) they aren’t necessary unless running SOA leafs. Linked or SUA you can run a RHD steering arm on the drivers side knuckle and Chevy TREs.

RustyNailJustin

Supporting Vendor
It will never work 🤣
I have been running a Diamond Housing with 80 knuckle balls hellfire, hellfire, RCVs, ARB in a 9.5 3rd for several years.
Our original housing was trussed enough it never bent but we started crushing knuckle balls. Went to the Diamond with 80 balls and this thing has survive hell several times.
If you follow Ultra4 Racing you know.

_JM13416.JPG

It will never work 🤣
I have been running a Diamond Housing with 80 knuckle balls hellfire, hellfire, RCVs, ARB in a 9.5 3rd for several years.
Our original housing was trussed enough it never bent but we started crushing knuckle balls. Went to the Diamond with 80 balls and this thing has survive hell several times.
Why hell yeah, love it!!

It will never work 🤣
Awesome to know!! What gear ratio are you running?

Clutchee

I'm fun sized!
Have you gotten the housing yet? Worst experience in customer service ever from Diamond. Took multiple emails and contacts and still to wayyy to long.

*sorry to muddy your thread, just wanting to let you know my experience in case it occurred to you or can be avoided.

Last edited:

Firemedic831

Supporting Vendor
I have had great service and fast shipping. Brian always gets back to me quickly . Not sure why you are having issues

Tank5

SILVER Star
Maybe it helps if you are a vendor. When I ordered an axle from Brian my 6 week quote turned into 7 months before I got it and it took a lot of phone calls to get it.

Zjohnsonua

SILVER Star
As to the thirds' castings, I prefer the 80/100 since it's smooth, thus offering fewer (make that 0) oblique surfaces to snag on. I've been told that it offers improved oiling to the front pinion bearing, but I can't confirm that. As for the housings, I like the SF 80 rear with knuckle balls added. That's on the list of I-should've-done-that-in-this-build. Next time...

There are definite advantages to using the 80 balls. Although the birfields aren’t the weak link anymore - even with mini truck sized birfs if they are 30 spline chromo the shafts break before the birfs - the 80 knuckles are stronger. The trunnion bearings are spaced further apart and the brakes are better. The steering options are the challenge, although the high steer options are limited (hellfire knuckles or Slee arms) they aren’t necessary unless running SOA leafs. Linked or SUA you can run a RHD steering arm on the drivers side knuckle and Chevy TREs.
Where I wheel, the birfields are still the weak link. We break RCV or trail gear inner cages before anything else. They usually take out the splines on the inner shaft when they pop. I have broken 4 or 5 chromoly birfields and never an inner shaft other than the splines getting stripped off. In my opinion the 80 series balls provide you a stronger steering knuckle, but that is not the problem with breakage that my friends and I experience. Lots of guys with full hydro steering and trunion failures are way down the list.

Have you gotten the housing yet? Worst experience in customer service ever from Diamond. Took multiple emails and contacts and still to wayyy to long.

*sorry to muddy your thread, just wanting to let you know my experience in case it occurred to you or can be avoided.
No, not been received and emails have not returned last 2 weeks. Not my preferred way of doing business, especially when they have your money.

Tank5

SILVER Star
As to the thirds' castings, I prefer the 80/100 since it's smooth, thus offering fewer (make that 0) oblique surfaces to snag on. I've been told that it offers improved oiling to the front pinion bearing, but I can't confirm that. As for the housings, I like the SF 80 rear with knuckle balls added. That's on the list of I-should've-done-that-in-this-build. Next time...
I agree with your assessment. I was told all the 9.5 housings are strong but went with an 80 series because the outside had better lines and expected it would slide off or deflect objects better.

Where I wheel, the birfields are still the weak link. We break RCV or trail gear inner cages before anything else. They usually take out the splines on the inner shaft when they pop. I have broken 4 or 5 chromoly birfields and never an inner shaft other than the splines getting stripped off. In my opinion the 80 series balls provide you a stronger steering knuckle, but that is not the problem with breakage that my friends and I experience. Lots of guys with full hydro steering and trunion failures are way down the list.
If I read that right you are blowing 80 series RCVs? What kind of rigs are you running and whats the terrain and driving style?

What size tire and what rig/power plant!

EWheeler

2 Cruisers, No Garage
It will never work 🤣

View attachment 2641021

Does Diamond make their own 80 series balls, or do they re-use factory ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom