Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice. I am running stock with a pretend vacuum pump, not good.. I want to go hydro boost, I love how good my F250 stops with the hydro boost. Thanks for the update, it's nice to see the long term issues that come up on swaps.

So this happened today.
B0B740DE-8445-4CBC-96F1-422A6A285934.jpeg

54A20A5A-E813-4C2B-9D19-AD90EA3EAB70.jpeg

8195974C-8008-444A-9424-D260588FA95F.jpeg

I was driving down the road and the shifter shaft broke while shifting out of third gear. I was able to turn and get off the road to check it out. I had nothing on me to rig up something so I had to drive back home with only 3rd. For the time being I pulled the Hurst shifter from the 75 truck project. It rattled like crazy and I just now realized, from looking at the photo I posted, that I didn’t put the rubber isolator back on. Hopefully that’s it. The shifter is way long so it feels like driving a hot rod Dump Truck. It also felt like the shifts were shorter than the short shifter I had on.
BCF4C997-ADBF-499E-8E00-1B883B74DB91.jpeg

B367E008-1D71-430D-821A-7845D3B27C06.jpeg

So this happened today.
View attachment 2599828
View attachment 2599829
View attachment 2599832

I was driving down the road and the shifter shaft broke while shifting out of third gear. I was able to turn and get off the road to check it out. I had nothing on me to rig up something so I had to drive back home with only 3rd. For the time being I pulled the Hurst shifter from the 75 truck project. It rattled like crazy and I just now realized, from looking at the photo I posted, that I didn’t put the rubber isolator back on. Hopefully that’s it. The shifter is way long so it feels like driving a hot rod Dump Truck. It also felt like the shifts were shorter than the short shifter I had on. View attachment 2599834
View attachment 2599833
So this happened today.
View attachment 2599828
View attachment 2599829
View attachment 2599832

I was driving down the road and the shifter shaft broke while shifting out of third gear. I was able to turn and get off the road to check it out. I had nothing on me to rig up something so I had to drive back home with only 3rd. For the time being I pulled the Hurst shifter from the 75 truck project. It rattled like crazy and I just now realized, from looking at the photo I posted, that I didn’t put the rubber isolator back on. Hopefully that’s it. The shifter is way long so it feels like driving a hot rod Dump Truck. It also felt like the shifts were shorter than the short shifter I had on. View attachment 2599834
View attachment 2599833
Of all the things tht could break, that wouldn't be high on my list. Glad it didnt affect anything for safe driving. Had to get your attention tho real quick. Do you have any clutch left?

Nice. I am running stock with a pretend vacuum pump, not good.. I want to go hydro boost, I love how good my F250 stops with the hydro boost. Thanks for the update, it's nice to see the long term issues that come up on swaps.

What is the “pretend” vacuum pump you are using?

I went to an alternator with oil and vacuum lines last year and it was an improvement over the two tired diaphragm pumps that were there before

Of all the things tht could break, that wouldn't be high on my list. Glad it didnt affect anything for safe driving. Had to get your attention tho real quick. Do you have any clutch left?
No issues noticed. I only had to start 3-4 times from stop to get back home. Plenty of torque to get going without burning it up. It will almost move in 3rd just by letting out the clutch nice and slow.

I went to an alternator with oil and vacuum lines last year and it was an improvement over the two tired diaphragm pumps that were there before
NPR truck alternator?

It is from a volvo that had a turbo, really only designed to assist, still want to go full hydro..

Hot rod dump truck!

Glad you made it home safe and if nothing else now you've got another misadventure story to tell about your Cruiser.
I have so many now with all my cruisers. It never ends. My wife just laughs now when I tell her the stories of what broke and how I got home. I like fixing stuff just as much as I enjoy driving so for me its just another leaning experience.

Yes. I think I did a thread in the diesel section about it
I'll have to check it out as my alternator may have bit the dust. Not charging at the moment but I'll look into that after I do my transfer case swap this weekend.

I'll have to check it out as my alternator may have bit the dust. Not charging at the moment but I'll look into that after I do my transfer case swap this weekend.

I was able to salvage the stick. I got the bolt out by welding a nut to it although it took a few attempts.
4C1C9AED-2C98-410D-9FC5-5B4182831BDE.jpeg

D4238183-C14A-46E2-9B65-4F5B5F5F3317.jpeg

I had to do something similar with lock nuts and a lost lock nut key the other week (39.5 iroks on DC-1 wheels). I actually use a bolt with the end tapered down more to a point so I could get better over lap and penetration. Though an oversized nut so you can really get in there with a mig and get good heat penetration helps.

I had to do something similar with lock nuts and a lost lock nut key the other week (39.5 iroks on DC-1 wheels). I actually use a bolt with the end tapered down more to a point so I could get better over lap and penetration. Though an oversized nut so you can really get in there with a mig and get good heat penetration helps.
I ended up having to cut the adapter piece down 1/16" to expose a bit more of the bolt so I could get more weld on it. I put so much heat on the nut it deformed and had to use my extractor socket to grip it.

Pulled the NV4500 and HF2A from the 75 build to put in the 80 this weekend. Split case is coming out! Kinda going backwards but it keeps me from having the 80 down while the trans gets rebuilt with the correct main shaft for the HF2A. The TC shifter I made won’t work in 80 so that will need to be bent or redesigned.
20A865E3-255E-4463-A01B-80E392423903.jpeg

021771E0-DD3C-4D78-82A5-F3DAB5333303.jpeg

I also swapped out the Wits' End HF2A adapter plate for the Adventure Vehicle NW adapter. The main shaft I got machined will be a better fit this one since the adapter is a tab bit thicker. I'll use the Wits' End adapter with the Wits' End shaft in the NV4500 that is coming out of the 80.

Well just my luck I had a issue with the rebuilt NV4500. For some reason it won’t go into first when the the truck is off or running. All other gears work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom