Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is a separate hydraulic line for the ram. I don't know anything about them, but there must be something going on inside. lol

Looks like fully hydraulic steering with the ram mounted on the differential housing.

There is a separate hydraulic line for the ram. I don't know anything about them, but there must be something going on inside. lol
The line on the front looks like a breather to me. Hydraulic would typically have a line to actuate and a line to de-actuate (not a word).

Nope not a breather. That second line is inboard hydraulic brakes! Very interesting setup. Hope you find out what they are and get some more info. I am sure they won't have much application for you but maybe a buggy guy will want them.

The line on the front looks like a breather to me. Hydraulic would typically have a line to actuate and a line to de-actuate (not a word).

Build thread. I also posted some more photos of the hydraulic system.
75 Series cab on 80 series chassis with Cummins 6BT

Big weekend planned. I’m swapping in another NV4500 since the “rebuilt” one I bought originally has been whining since it was installed and has gotten louder over the 30K of use. I’m really dreading it since I have to tear apart the splitcase to remove. I will also be doing it solo like usual so I’m sure I will be getting creative lowering it down. My plan is to lower the skid plate since it’s mounted to it. Hoping that makes it easier.
BC55066C-D634-4C24-A6FB-7A8C93E5AA23.jpeg

Big weekend planned. I’m swapping in another NV4500 since the “rebuilt” one I bought originally has been whining since it was installed and has gotten louder over the 30K of use. I’m really dreading it since I have to tear apart the splitcase to remove. I will also be doing it solo like usual so I’m sure I will be getting creative lowering it down. My plan is to lower the skid plate since it’s mounted to it. Hoping that makes it easier.
View attachment 1738330

Wow solo
Way to man up as long as it doesnt pin you under the LC and you make the news:hillbilly:

May the force be with you... im going to be pulling my trans and case solo this next week also, for a broken flex plate so it can stay on the jack under. Last time I had help and with out jacks my rh truck up the tranny jack had to be unloaded to get it out from under the truck. Rolling it on and off the jack was the hard part.

I got it out! Wasn’t near as sketchy as I thought it would be. Bolting the plywood to the floor jack was key. Leaving the IPOR skid plate helped balance it while lowering it. Once down I had to slide it off the floor jack to then slide it under the frame rail. I had about 1.5” of clearance.
13543A51-2461-44B0-BF66-89E599F43A11.jpeg
443C1DAD-6947-4C58-9E6E-9AC0FD0ABE9C.jpeg
8903CFF9-0DA9-4668-8F40-18877CFBD317.jpeg

Here is the one issue I found in the split case. The oil slinger that mounts to the gear at some point broke and was mangled into a handful of pieces. No gear teeth we damaged. I don’t know what went wrong. When I rebuild the case and installed Marks gears I just swapped the slinger onto the new gear. Maybe I put it on backwards? I do remember spinning the gears and didn’t hear any noises during assembly.
6C85571F-E1BA-421F-9CF3-70E32073D5CE.jpeg
61FBA610-8601-46CD-A365-A029D6AEBB08.jpeg

Now for the big issue! Wrong NV4500. I was sent the GM version not the Dodge diesel one. I should have looked closer when I received it but it didn’t. It was obvious that the output shaft was not correct. Bummer because it is loss of time even if I get it sorted quickly. Quickly on this will be at least a week due to it ships freight.
I have to finish before the 26th. On the 27th I drive it to Chicago and then on to Ouray for SAS#2.
I can drive the BJ40 if needed but that’s a long triangle of driving that would add a few extra days I don’t have.

I have a GM to Split Case spud shaft being drop shipped to fix my mating issue. I feel a lot better now. Although the beer still tastes better than normal at the moment.

View attachment 1738330

Where did you source the new NV4500?

While you have that out, check the bearing in the AA adapter, the one with the split ring on it.

I did some work on mine years ago and the outer bearing body cracked and split in two, couldn't see it without pulling it, a weak spot on the bearing where they machined for the split ring. Yours is probably ok, but I would check it. And don't be afraid of gasket maker on the surfaces when you put it back together.

I'm ordering the adapter plate to go to the 80 series AWD case soon.

In the long term I'll sell of my AA adapter/cut NV4500 output shaft and split case when I get all the parts and a rebuild kit for the NV4500.

Is that duiseroffroads new company or is it associated with the original Jonesy's shop?
Jonesy's sold Duiser to Dustin years ago and thats when everything went south. This is their new website I guess. I usually just go through Joel Jones since he did my swap. He's always taken care of me.
I do have a Dodge trans now being sent to replace the GM since AA was backordered on the GM adapter.

While you have that out, check the bearing in the AA adapter, the one with the split ring on it.

I did some work on mine years ago and the outer bearing body cracked and split in two, couldn't see it without pulling it, a weak spot on the bearing where they machined for the split ring. Yours is probably ok, but I would check it. And don't be afraid of gasket maker on the surfaces when you put it back together.

I'm ordering the adapter plate to go to the 80 series AWD case soon.

In the long term I'll sell of my AA adapter/cut NV4500 output shaft and split case when I get all the parts and a rebuild kit for the NV4500.
I will look at the bearing. I also realized that you could take the split case off the trans without tearing it down by just removing the tail housing on the trans. Good to know if I ever have to tear it apart again.
I got my 2WD shaft in for my other build which will have the 80 case. I will wait till next month to send off for medication as I am over my spending budget this month.

Haven’t posted much in awhile. Long story short I swapped in the new NV4500 trans and on first test drive the engine was puking oil out the rear main seal area. So it all came back apart plus more to get to seal. From what I can tell it was leaking from the rear seal cover thing and the oil pan. The rear main will get replaced along with a gasket for the cover and some sealant on the rear part of the pan.
C48A79B2-4EE6-4B5A-94C9-3BE144691F2A.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom