Cruiser Dan's knuckle rebuild kit question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know from years of expereince in dealing with Dan (and Beno) that there is NO rounding of prices what so ever.

I imagine he did because I do remind folks in occasion about the original sale price of the vehicle.

No, the price quoted by Dan above does not include wheel bearings.

Those are extra.

Doh!! you would think after buying two from Dan i'd remember that.... especially since I live 20 minutes from a Timken plant and just picked them up from there. :doh:

I don't need wheel bearings as I recently did a repack and got a chance to inspect them (one of which was replaced with a Timken at that time), I just didn't have time to do the full knuckle rebuild at the time.

I ended up just ordering this kit which does include their Eco-seal axle seals-
Knuckle Seal Kit | Marlin Crawler, Inc.

I slso ordered 2 of their spindle nut kits which include the thrust washer and are all oem parts. Sure it doesn't include knuckle bearings, but if I get in there and the knuckle bearings are less than perfect, there is a local bearing shop that stocks every bearing I have ever needed.

Thanks all for the input.

Most aftermarket knuckle kits include no OEM parts from OEM suppliers except for the Koyo bearings which is a subsidiary of JTEKT which is owned by Toyota.

:meh:

I recently ordered a front end rebuild kit from Beno and I couldn't have been more satisfied. When my box of parts showed up, it came with everything I needed to rebuild the front end on my part time 4wd 80. When I spoke to Onur on the phone, he was extremely helpful and answered every question I had with speed, precision and an obvious level of indepth knowledge. Within days of our conversation and my order, I received a complete set of parts and was able to rebuild my front end(for the first time) with out any difficulties.

Conversely, my friend ordered a "rebuild kit" for his 60 series landcruiser from XXXXX and now his ride is sitting on jackstands in my garage for at least another week awaiting additional parts. Why? Because their 60 series "knuckle rebuild kit" does not contain the rubber wipers or metal bands. I know XXXXX is a reputable company with a strong following on this forum and I'm not trying to slight them in anyway but, had their sales person been as knowledgeable as Onur or Dan, I'm sure we would have finished his Cruiser last week and I'd have my garage space back.

My point is: You might be able to save a few bucks piecing together a kit from different sources or other companies but like others have said, "there's nothing more frustrating that being in the middle of a job and then finding you don't have the correct part". Trust me, it sucks. That is all.

Edited out of respect for a company who has actually done a lot for our Cruiser community.

60rebuild007.jpg

Last edited:
Very true, but the lesson there is don't tear your truck apart until you have all the parts in hand, oem or aftermarket. This was the reason this whole thread began, because I wanted new thrust washers and was curious if the oem kit included them.
Don't get me wrong, oem parts are great and in many instances I would never deviate from them, such as a HG. But for this, the kit I ordered is complete in terms of seals, both the knuckle and wheel bearings are available locally (Timken brand),and I think ill be just fine.

When you order parts from many places including many dealers, you get exactly what you order.

When I call Dan and order parts, he asks me what I am doing and lets me know the other parts I might need so I am not short on something when I tear it down. Sometimes, Dan will even tell me I don't need the part I am ordering because the issue is likely something else and points me in the right direction

Kurt at Crusieroutfitters, Marlin and Slee are great vendors with wonderful customer service. I buy parts from all of them and have had no issues.

As a personal preference, I don't like Marlins seals beacuse they are too stiff, several threads here to research. That kind of seal is superiop (IMOP) on a mini-truck and several other applications, the 80 does better with a softer seal and will hold up longer, again IMOP. Several threads on this. I know many are happy with them as well.

There are parts I will but aftermarket like the wipers, charcoal canister, rotors and a few others, but I personally want the OEM parts the truck was designed for on the axle as I trust those off road, and don't want to tear into them more than I have to

...Conversely, my friend ordered a "rebuild kit" for his 60 series landcruiser from XXXXX and now his ride is sitting on jackstands in my garage for at least another week awaiting additional parts. Why? Because their 60 series "knuckle rebuild kit" does not contain the rubber wipers or metal bands. I know XXXXX is a reputable company with a strong following on this forum and I'm not trying to slight them in anyway but, had their sales person been as knowledgeable as Onur or Dan, I'm sure we would have finished his Cruiser last week and I'd have my garage space back...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume XXXXX is me, primarily because I had a customer call back earlier this week looking for the metal split wiper (our kits always have the rubber wipers) and metal wiper retainer plates he had assumed would be in his kit. If any mistake was made it was absolutely a communication error and I'll assume all the blame for that. I've sold and installed thousands (yes thousands) of these knuckle kits and our FA7590 kit has never included the split metal wiper nor the retainer plates, in 95% of rebuilds they are completely re-usable and in the rare cases they are needed we have them in stock and available. To be fair the description on our website as well as the photo of the FA7590 does not show them. Where the confusion occurred is that the customers friend (presumably you?) had ordered a 80 Series knuckle kit (FA9097) kit which always does and always has included the split wiper and retainer plates. I wish I had a really neat answer for why the 80 kit includes them but the 40/55/60 kit does not but the truth is that is the way the shim/gasket kits are assembled overseas and it would cost me more to order something 'different' than it would be to work with their existing offering. I'm going to update the website to make the kit ingredients more clear, I can't recall it happening in the past but its an easy fix on my end to hopefully spare the headache for the customer. I apologize for the mix-up for both your buddy and you. His parts went out the same day he called me on the issue, hopefully the arrive safe and sound and you can get the overdue project all buttoned up. Again, sorry about that.

When you order parts from many places including many dealers, you get exactly what you order.

When I call Dan and order parts, he asks me what I am doing and lets me know the other parts I might need so I am not short on something when I tear it down. Sometimes, Dan will even tell me I don't need the part I am ordering because the issue is likely something else and points me in the right direction

Kurt at Crusieroutfitters, Marlin and Slee are great vendors with wonderful customer service. I buy parts from all of them and have had no issues.

As a personal preference, I don't like Marlins seals beacuse they are too stiff, several threads here to research. That kind of seal is superiop (IMOP) on a mini-truck and several other applications, the 80 does better with a softer seal and will hold up longer, again IMOP. Several threads on this. I know many are happy with them as well.

There are parts I will but aftermarket like the wipers, charcoal canister, rotors and a few others, but I personally want the OEM parts the truck was designed for on the axle as I trust those off road, and don't want to tear into them more than I have to

Fact. :cool:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume XXXXX is me, primarily because I had a customer call back earlier this week looking for the metal split wiper (our kits always have the rubber wipers) and metal wiper retainer plates he had assumed would be in his kit. If any mistake was made it was absolutely a communication error and I'll assume all the blame for that. I've sold and installed thousands (yes thousands) of these knuckle kits and our FA7590 kit has never included the split metal wiper nor the retainer plates, in 95% of rebuilds they are completely re-usable and in the rare cases they are needed we have them in stock and available. To be fair the description on our website as well as the photo of the FA7590 does not show them. Where the confusion occurred is that the customers friend (presumably you?) had ordered a 80 Series knuckle kit (FA9097) kit which always does and always has included the split wiper and retainer plates. I wish I had a really neat answer for why the 80 kit includes them but the 40/55/60 kit does not but the truth is that is the way the shim/gasket kits are assembled overseas and it would cost me more to order something 'different' than it would be to work with their existing offering. I'm going to update the website to make the kit ingredients more clear, I can't recall it happening in the past but its an easy fix on my end to hopefully spare the headache for the customer. I apologize for the mix-up for both your buddy and you. His parts went out the same day he called me on the issue, hopefully the arrive safe and sound and you can get the overdue project all buttoned up. Again, sorry about that.

good on ya Kurt :cheers:

Does anyone know of any Toyota dealers that sell a rebuild kit without having to give them each part number? I thought I saw a dealer doing so on here at one point. Maybe I'm wrong. TIA

In other words, now you know where to buy it. ;)

Man, you must be in witness protection with all the places you've lived...

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom