Cruiser Corp fuel pump for FJ40 '77 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone tried this fuel pump? I need a spare and i was wondering if anyone could speak to the quality or longevity of this one.

In case the link doesn't work, it's Cruiser Corp mechanical pump SKU: 553-129

I know the advantages of an OEM, but specifically, i'm looking to hear from anyone who actually purchased this one, and have actually used it in a vehicle.

Thanks

I can’t give you the experienced advice you’re looking for, but I will comment that I just replaced a bad fuel pump with OEM from my local dealer for $180. I like your idea of having a spare in the rig on long adventures, and I’d be comfortable using the aftermarket to get me home, but then repair or replace the OEM one.

All this assuming that you’re a Resto/Mod rig. If you’re more Mod than Resto, then who cares about OEM. Get the aftermarket and save a buck. My rig is still correct enough that keeping the fuel pump correct has some value to me. My $0.02

thanks, i'll probably get this one (or one similar from JTO). I have the Toyota brand that was on the vehicle when it was installed, but a little voice is telling me to have a replacement handy. I sometimes have lower fuel pressure than i'm comfortable with (I have a fuel pressure gauge installed) and it sometimes reads 2-2.5, and the vehicle stumbles a bit when the pressure drops. It only happens once every 3-4 weeks, so it's one of those things that i want to be ready for if it happens.

thanks, i'll probably get this one (or one similar from JTO). I have the Toyota brand that was on the vehicle when it was installed, but a little voice is telling me to have a replacement handy. I sometimes have lower fuel pressure than i'm comfortable with (I have a fuel pressure gauge installed) and it sometimes reads 2-2.5, and the vehicle stumbles a bit when the pressure drops. It only happens once every 3-4 weeks, so it's one of those things that i want to be ready for if it happens.

The fuel filter could cause lower fuel pressure under higher fuel usage if it is partial plugged.

Just ashame Toyota doesn't offer rebuild kits anymore. Pre 1/79 was just a replaceable diaphragm and two reed valves. Seen four reed valve style but that was a later replacement.

That makes sense.
I replaced the fuel filter after the first time I experienced the problem. At the same time, I removed the fuel pump just to see if it operated. As I operated the lever, it seemed to have strong suction, and it even held pressure when I blocked the output nozzle. I reinstalled the pump and added a fuel pressure gauge at the carb. The problem has occurred a few times since then. Normally, the pressure is around 3 or 4 psi, but when the "problem " does occur, the pressure is about half.
The only thing I haven't done is replace all the rubber fuel lines and blow out the metal lines.
I hate replacing parts that don't seem to be problematic, so that's why I'm not so anxious to replace the fuel pump.
And yes, it's too bad that noone makes a rebuild kit. I'm surprised that there is not a close compatible fuel pump rebuild kit that could be adapted.

On eBay there are rebuild kits from Indonesia. I’ve ordered one. Actually I only ordered the diaphragm. I’m told that the reed valves are super durable. My pump was dripping fuel from the weep hole so I know the diaphragm is bad. I’ve replaced the pump with an OEM pump and will keep the rebuild original on hand for parts.

I got my OEM pump from Mr T. for $150.

I also have a rebuild kit enroute to fix up the pump I replaced. It will then become a back up.

Do you have the eBay link to the kit/diaphragm?

Thanks for your help, guys. I decided to go ahead and order a new OEM through my dealership.

Toyota surprised me with this one. I got it for $164.62, including the gasket. And, it's in their "warehouse", so it will arrive tomorrow.
you can't beat that. overnight shipping.

And, while I was at the dealership, I was able to look at a beautiful FJ40 that was on display. I needed the inspiration. So it was a fruitful trip.

On eBay there are rebuild kits from Indonesia. I’ve ordered one. Actually I only ordered the diaphragm. I’m told that the reed valves are super durable. My pump was dripping fuel from the weep hole so I know the diaphragm is bad. I’ve replaced the pump with an OEM pump and will keep the rebuild original on hand for parts.

The reed valves are durable, but that goes out the window when grit from a dirty fuel tank get lodged in one and you no longer get adequate pressure.

OP - is your fuel filter in the original location upstream of the pump or is there an only an aftermarket filter after the pump?

Thanks for the information. Has anybody actually replaced a diaphragm? If so, how did you disengage the diaphragm "T" stem from the metal collar inside the lower case seal? What is the "trick?"
Thanks

Here is a picture.... It has got to be simple...

IMG_20210327_091523477.jpg

IMG_20210327_092149050.jpg

IMG_20210327_092154911.jpg

IMG_20210327_092435555.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom