CruisD64's FJ62 Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been enjoying watching your progress on the build. And that's awesome that your brother and his wife got a 2016 from the San Rafael Toyota.

I had mounted my temperature sensor in the upper radiator hose with probably the same setup as you.

Nice looking roof rack BTW!!

Dude! Thanks man :)

Their Cruiser is a beast. Bros asking about mods now that his wife is completely against. Haha!

I actually have a lot of updates for this thread but haven't gotten to it. One of them is a Trustmade RTT arriving in the next week or so.

What temp do you read with your sensor up there? My "normal" is 197. Thermostat is 190

Last edited:
I just f***ing love her... :)

PXL_20210608_033017626.jpg

@CruisD64 I think the location of the aftermarket temp sensor is debatable. On the upper hose you are reading the heated water coming out of the motor after the t-stat opens....so is it "real time"?...eh, not exactly but it's consistent with what's going on inside the motor immediately as long as the t-stat is working correctly.
I would think the lower radiator hose is a bad place to locate a temp sensor. You are reading water temps AFTER they have been cooled by the radiator and before it gets to the motor, not really an indication of what's going on IN the motor. You will see consistently lower unrealistic temps here. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. (?)

Agree the best location for a sensor is inside the loop before the t-stat. But the 3FE doesn't have a great spot to locate a temp sensor on the t-stat housing or on the head somewhere...at least none that I've ever seen consistently documented here on Mud. That's why people go with the upper rad hose location.

The accuracy of the stock gauge in the dash has long been in question, but they tend to be consistent with what's going on under the hood. Mine fluctuates a good bit (and pretty darn accurately) according to conditions, I can see when the t-stat is holding, then when it opens, I can see fluctuations in the needle when I'm running the heaters, when it's cold outside, or hot, load on the motor, etc.... So aside from the gauge spike anomalies, the stock gauge can be a good indicator. The aftermarket gauge is an important check n balance against the stock gauge.

Your stock gauge readings at 1/2 to 3/4 sound normal, just watch for consistencies.

Whoa. Must've brushed over this response initially. Hello 7 months later. You are 100% correct. I can see the temps jump when the tstat opens. Unfortunately the "overheating" is still occurring. My latest theory is that my AC condenser is too clogged. It's bad. I just figured enough air could move around it. Rookie thought. It's gotten warm up here in the past couple of weeks and I noticed the AC doesn't blow nearly as cold as it should. It's to the point where I'm not sure it's working even though I know it is. I ordered this guy from Summit and will be replacing it in the next week. Makes sense but I might be getting excited for nothing again. Of course I'll update...eventually. As much as I love this truck it sucks that I have to stare at the temp gauge(s) constantly. TBH it's held the project back substantially.

Last edited:
So today I pulled out my AC condenser after have the R134 evacuated from the system. I drove from Truckee to Verdi hitting some hills that would have my temps normally in the 215+ (208 actually) range. Hottest I hit was 201 (194 actually) and that was only for an instant. I think a clogged condenser might have been the reason for the overheating and AC not blowing super cold. I'm not calling it a win yet but will be putting the new condenser in tomorrow and testing again. Fingers crossed!

EDIT: 197 F is my baseline considering where my aftermarket temp sensor is positioned. So 197 there means 190 in the block is my thinking.

Last edited:
Seen them on big vendor sites very expensive. I really need a frame. God dont want to that is a HUGE amount of work.
Call Ron Diaz at Custom Cruisers FJ40 in Gilroy. He has a frame from a 1989 FJ62 he'd probably sell. You'd likely have to pick it up though.

408-842-3540.

I'm out west probably just sell the truck. BTW are you located in part of the west coast ?
Yeah. I'm in Truckee. Near Lake Tahoe. Heaven on Earth if you ask me :)

Last edited:
Put together a little video of my trip to Boca reservoir yesterday. Boca is between Truckee and Reno. It's where I learned to waterski as a kid. It's dashcam footage so it's not the greatest quality but I hadn't planned on putting a video together until I reviewed the footage. :)

Got the roof top tent installed yesterday. Pretty happy with how it looks! A major plus is that I'll fit in the garage!

rtt1.jpg

So I've been looking into getting one of those tailgate cutting boards but decided I'd rather utilize the tailgate space and ordered a Huracan Fabrication storage unit (jumper cables, yankum rope, small toolkit, and whatever else I can fit). One of these. Thinking about it further and knowing I still want a tailgate cutting board I decided to give TAP Plastics a call. They made me a 1/2inch x 51 x 12 cutting board for 60 bucks that I'll just throw on the tailgate whenever I need it. Food grade plastic as shown here. I plan on storing it on the underside of my roof rack. I'll make a little track for it with tabs that keep it from falling out.

Anyway, here's the cutting board. I'm very impressed for the price!

cutting board.jpg

So I got the Huracan tailgate storage unit installed. It hurt to cut as much metal out as was necessary to get it installed but overall it is a nice unit and I've already put everything into it that I had hoped. Plenty more room for a small toolkit and belts and other things etc... Last shot is the cuttingboard. :)
PXL_20211113_211134079.jpg
PXL_20211113_211142766.jpg
PXL_20211113_211245768.jpg

Didn't fit in the garage with the old RTT so picked up a Roofnest! Not as roomy but the build quality is spectacular! Love it!

PXL_20220618_214208233.jpg

PXL_20220618_214153566 (1).jpg

PXL_20220511_010128138 (1).jpg

So just a heads up. Life is weird and motivation to post wavers as things go on. Been dealing with a lot of personal stuff for a while which puts a back seat to all of this unfortunately. I did buy an 80 recently which is getting a lot of love now but the 62 isn't going anywhere. Updates will happen at some point.

PXL_20231116_224525537.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom