Crater Lake, Oregon vacation property build thread - BASE CAMP ⛺️ (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Decided today it was time to jump and purchase a portable sawmill. I’ve got Doug Fir timber on my property at home and Lodgepole Pine at the Crater Lake property. I have a very big fir at the house that’s been stressed from the dry summers and will be taking it down if it’s health continues to go down. It’s got enough lumber to build a house. Decided to go with the wide 36” model due to the fact that many of my fir trees here at home are too big for a standard lumber mill. Anything over 32” needs to be transported to Siuslaw at the coast to mill that can handle big trees. The wide Woodizer mill will take care of that. Also decided to add the trailer so I can take it to both properties and to side jobs and make lumber for people. I’m in line with the down payment but am out 36 weeks. It will put off some projects I had planned but I
A0AE54E1-F173-4590-834A-EE7A9A51A00E.jpeg

47F5BFCB-6A9A-4631-A269-10A1DA12B03C.jpeg

BTW I went with the diesel motor.

Decided today it was time to jump and purchase a portable sawmill. I’ve got Doug Fir timber on my property at home and Lodgepole Pine at the Crater Lake property. I have a very big fir at the house that’s been stressed from the dry summers and will be taking it down if it’s health continues to go down. It’s got enough lumber to build a house. Decided to go with the wide 36” model due to the fact that many of my fir trees here at home are too big for a standard lumber mill. Anything over 32” needs to be transported to Siuslaw at the coast to mill that can handle big trees. The wide Woodizer mill will take care of that. Also decided to add the trailer so I can take it to both properties and to side jobs and make lumber for people. I’m in line with the down payment but am out 36 weeks. It will put off some projects I had planned but I
View attachment 2626629
View attachment 2626630
With the price of Lumber these Days it should pay for it's self in short order!!

Nice! Just curious, did you look at any other sawmills before going with the Woodmiser? I was looking at the Woodmiser and the Norwood mills as well.

View attachment 2626629
View attachment 2626630

I would really like to buy one of these for my place; maybe if my business picks up again. Very interested to see it in action and how you like it.

With the price of Lumber these Days it should pay for it's self in short order!!
Especially because I own my own timber. Just need to have it graded and stamped to build my cabin. This just turned into a game changer! Currently 36 weeks out on getting mine😩

Nice! Just curious, did you look at any other sawmills before going with the Woodmiser? I was looking at the Woodmiser and the Norwood mills as well.
I know multiple people with the Woodmizer and they all love them. The Woodmizer distributor for Oregon is in Wood Village which is 15 minutes from my work. Also an added plus. Awesome people and an outstanding product. Can’t wait to be milling my own lumber.

Skeet- Oregon Timber Grader
+1 (360) 608-9556
Talked to Skeet 1/2 hr. $450 1/2 day to come grade lumber. He said that’s plenty of time to grade enough lumber for entire house. He said the demand by people with portable sawmills grading is through the roof.

View attachment 2626629
View attachment 2626630
Wife’s uncle up in Kitimat has a big portable mill, it’s impressive, you’ll love that thing!

199F2B84-3204-494B-B5D4-6C0ADDEC0F51.jpeg

The big fir to the right is one that’s been battling the dry summers. I’ve been watering it to help it out but it’s the tree I’ll be milling if it doesn’t green up this year.

How long will you need to let it dry out before you can build with it?
Depends on time of year. Summer, few months. Winter probably 6 months. I’ll be researching this.

That will be awesome to have your own milling options. Bummer lead time is so long. It'll almost be like a forgotten Christmas present.

That will be awesome to have your own milling options. Bummer lead time is so long. It'll almost be like a forgotten Christmas present.
Thanks for joining in on the fun buddy!

What ever you do with the lumber allow it to air dry.
When you stack the lumber put some 1x2 or some thing in between the individual pieces.
Allow space when you stack the individual lumber side by side on the 1x2 allow a little air space next to each other.
Keep lumber out of the sun and keep it under a tent, this way it will shrink naturally and the pieces will have minimal twist or crowning.
Have fun

“no cherry picking allowed.”

I would have told them that doesn’t apply to sheets “they” damage trying to get onto my trailer, that would apply to blemishes. What exactly was wrong with them?

I think I’ll take your advice. All I’ve built are remote 4WD trail outhouses.

View attachment 2636980

Is this true? I would not build a cabin with those plans I gave you as your first run at things. The roof was a complicated pain in the ass. It stretched my mind for sure.

Start watching Larry Haun stuff on Youtube. He is a production framer, but there are endless tips to pick up that will help you build stuff.

Larry Haun has been contributing to Fine Home Building magazine since early on 1984? , have all issue since #2 way before YouTube.
He has solid framing techniques and very skilled.

Headed to the CL property early Friday morning.
61FAC394-014F-4B61-9200-171A7A2427DF.jpeg

Headed east with the moon over the Ski Bowl Outback.
1B8EC80E-844C-4D51-AE2D-F5A787198EB0.jpeg
285D7FCE-9AF9-43C5-A7C2-4A431B154329.jpeg

Sun rise creating a beautiful sunrise at Government Camp.
F0B87B9E-6C4B-4975-841A-F44ED4D62479.jpeg

Made it safely to property. Dropped Travis and his trailer off at his property down the road. Travis and I were both at the same stage of construction and ready for metal roofing. Unloaded the new doors and the locseam metal. First line of business was using the Stihl Pole saw and cut the limbs over the pumphouse.
04460E2C-5B47-4292-A30F-7FB3ABF152E6.jpeg

Cleaned up the limbs and laid the 30 pound tar paper. Next up was starting to install the locseam metal roofing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom