Cowl part# help please, for the passenger foot well leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I tried the plastic flashing method that this guy on YouTube used...

I put my hand over the dash vents with the fan on high and found that the airflow was greatly reduced when I had the flashing on vs off. I was surprised at the amount of suction that AC fan has under the dash when the vent is pulling outside air vs on recirculate. Do you notice any reduction in airflow with the intake guard you used? Can you send a side pic of how the 1" foam elevates the vent guard? I am always trying to DIY if possible, but to avoid the water on the electronics below the dash and related expenses, I may just bite the bullet and buy a new cowl. Did you remove and replace the foam along the entire upper portion of the cowl? I have the M-D expanding 1/2"x 1/2" expanding foam shown in the other threads, but curious what you are using since it looks slightly different than the foam in the pics you posted. Thanks!

That’s the primary reason I won’t consider installing a deflector.. secondary is when the cowl is in good shape and installed correctly this isn’t an issue.

I put my hand over the dash vents with the fan on high and found that the airflow was greatly reduced when I had the flashing on vs off. I was surprised at the amount of suction that AC fan has under the dash when the vent is pulling outside air vs on recirculate. Do you notice any reduction in airflow with the intake guard you used? Can you send a side pic of how the 1" foam elevates the vent guard? I am always trying to DIY if possible, but to avoid the water on the electronics below the dash and related expenses, I may just bite the bullet and buy a new cowl. Did you remove and replace the foam along the entire upper portion of the cowl? I have the M-D expanding 1/2"x 1/2" expanding foam shown in the other threads, but curious what you are using since it looks slightly different than the foam in the pics you posted. Thanks!

New foam was sufficient for me, just the section above the airbox. I got some foam weatherstripping at ACE that said it was good for wet environments. It ended up being slightly larger than the old foam, but worked fine. It passed a hose test, and several days of heavy rain.

Hello,
Sorry I don't have a pic other than the one I posted - but I will attempt to describe how I did it.
YES, I replaced all the OEM foam on the cowl as others have done, I then test fit the deflector in place on the passenger side intake and marked where it would come into contact with the intake molding. Then I used a 1 inch wide/tall strip of expanding foam (in the pic it isn't expanded yet) and doubled it up (for 2 inch thickness) to "elevate" the deflector above the OEM intake housing, That way if it ever retracts/shrinks it would still have at least 1inch clearance. I only did the front side (in the pic) facing towards the front of the LC - not the whole air intake box, to give adequate clearance for unobstructed air around the rest of the box. (I hope this make sense?)
I didn't notice any measurable decrease in airflow, but could there be, absolutely. I just didn't notice any. AC still works like it did prior.

I got the idea from another member testing a similar fix on another "cowl leak" thread, just added my own idea/research on keeping the deflector enough above the intake box for airflow. And @bloc is correct, with new foam you shouldn't need to also put the deflector, I just figured since I'm in here, I'd try the deflector idea and see if that and the OEM cowl foam replacement took care of the issue 100% and it did. But again, it's not necessary. It was simple enough to reverse if it became an issue.
@bloc and @CharlieS really know a LOT more about these LC200's than I do, I'm following their leads on most of my DIY's

Hope this helps and clarifies my post

20230415_160302_resized.jpg

20230415_134514_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure I have more to add as I posted a bunch on the other thread.

Short version. I had the leak, it would be random, I tried new foam, weather stripping, a “hood”. None of it worked until I just replaced the cowl. I’m due another windshield and will remove the cowl before I take it to the glass shop.

It’s an easy install if you just take your time and make sure the tabs on the cowl line up with the slots on the truck and don’t break the tabs off.

Last edited:
Are there bolts or does the cowl just pull out? Couldn’t really find a video on this.

There are some threads that detail it, but essentially you remove the windshield wipers and then there are two plastic bolt/clips (one on each side) and then it is all clips. Pull towards the front of the vehicle to release.

Can anyone confirm the part number for a 2013 LX? I think I found it at 55708-60131 - super expensive though. I read another thread that the cheaper toyota part 55708-60091 might work but it won't connect to the engine surrounds correctly? Has anyone made it work?

When my windshield was broken/replaced by a body shop my right side washer came back working poorly and the whole cowl was a bit off. So I pulled it apart today and it had been mangled badly and in two pieces. I previously did the foam seals and now I'm gluing it back together. That could work for a bit but it is time to replace!

55708-60131 shows a production date range from 01/2012 to 09/2015.

Yeah, it's pricey. $776.11 at lexuspartsnow.com
Thanks. The one I glued together wasn't happy going back in tonight. Fitment is terrible. It'll do until the new one arrives. Found it for just under $700 with free shipping out of Florida of all places - Lexus of Wesley Chapel.

That’s the primary reason I won’t consider installing a deflector.. secondary is when the cowl is in good shape and installed correctly this isn’t an issue.
Respectfully have to disagree. A proper shaped and installed deflector should let enough air by, get around the effectively one barrier seal design of the cowl which sooner or later will deteriorate and for those who mostly have internal recirculation on is not a major setback anyways.

Thanks. The one I glued together wasn't happy going back in tonight. Fitment is terrible. It'll do until the new one arrives. Found it for just under $700 with free shipping out of Florida of all places - Lexus of Wesley Chapel.

Replying to myself! Scratch that - they won't ship the cowl saying it is too big and likely to get damaged. I'll try lexuspartsnow as mentioned above. My local dealer wants over $900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom