Could this be an axel seal? (pics attached) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Smoke coming from DS front wheel. Could this be an axel seal?

See pics.

How long can I drive it like this?

2017-02-20 21.25.05.jpg

2017-02-20 21.23.15.jpg

2017-02-20 21.25.05.jpg

Yes that's the inner axle seal. I would rebuild the knuckles pretty darn soon. I wouldn't take any long trips and just keep the axle oil full untill you can fix.

What do I tell the mechanic to do exactly? Front axel rebuild?

Anything I can do in the meantime to keep it rollin?

Really wish I knew someone in Denver that wanted to earn some extra cash to do this for me, anyone interested?

Put a tarp down get a box of towles from the auto shop, 6 cans of chlorinated brake cleaner and a big trash can.

That's the key to quick clean up

What do I tell the mechanic to do exactly? Front axel rebuild?

Anything I can do in the meantime to keep it rollin?

Really wish I knew someone in Denver that wanted to earn some extra cash to do this for me, anyone interested

To keep it "rollin" you fix it now. You are rolling on a ticking time bomb. In your neck of the woods you have Robbie Antonson in Boulder who is arguably the best 80 Series Land Cruiser mechanic in the United States.

Did you say smoke is coming from this wheel? That may be worse than a seal R&R. Git 'er done!

Get dirty!

It's a fun job for a beginner. I did that twice in six months since I punctured the oil seal when re installing my DS shaft. Learned from my mistake.

If you were closer I'd do it for you, just baby sit my 2yo son for a week.

Good luck.

Unfortunately I'm gonna have to pay someone to do this. Work and everything is crazy busy to tackle this myself right now.

I'd be careful here and not "keep it rolling". The reason is this--when it fails catastrophically like that, it often means the knuckle studs on the bottom have backed out or failed. At least put a 17mm wrench on them and assure they are tight or you risk the whole thing coming off at speed. Have you at least checked the front diff to make sure it is full of oil? If you run that low, your repair price will go from very expensive, to "take out a home equity loan".

Also, that much oil will wash all the grease out of the birfield joint and wheelbearings, and new birfields will add many hundred more $$ to the cost of the repair.

It's going to be an expensive repair no matter who does it. But Robbie and Slee are both close enough to you. And both will do it correctly. Many local mechanic types don't understand the toyota set up and will do it incorrectly. Start making some calls.

Any competent Mechanic should be able to handle the job, I don't see much difference from any bolt on king pine style front axle.

Ok. Calling around. Christo and Robbie are too far at this point.

I want to be very specific on what I have the shop do.

What am I asking to have done specifically?

You are asking for a knuckle rebuild with axle seal replacement. They should also repack the wheel bearings while it's apart.

Find a Toyota specific shop. One that does minitrucks and old land cruisers.

Having been to both Slee Offroad and Robbie's place, neither is far from Denver. Just sayin'...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom