Could leaky radiator ruin alternator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went out to my car today to fired up, and got a “check AHC system” message, and a dead battery. Once I started taking away the engine, cover to get a jumpstart, I noticed that there was residue on engine components, and an indication that it was coming from the top seal of the radiator.

Battery is felt strong until about two nights ago when I felt it seemed weak upon starting. Is it possible that the leaky radiator might’ve ruined the alternator? I’m going to start by changing the battery.

This ever happened to anyone before? I never once noticed a puddle under the car, but I do have a clear indication that it was spraying under the hood and an empty overflow.

You should stop driving the truck!
You could damage the engine and have to replace/fix the head gasket, etc. You need to replace your radiator first.
You are not specifying the year (good idea to put it in your signature) but it looks like you have the radiator with well known problem. Have a read here:

Sorry about that. 2011 LX. Just noticed it last night and drove it home 1 mile.

You should stop driving the truck!
You could damage the engine and have to replace/fix the head gasket, etc. You need to replace your radiator first.
You are not specifying the year (good idea to put it in your signature) but it looks like you have the radiator with well known problem. Have a read here:

I suppose it's possible that an excessive amount of coolant leak onto the front of the engine could cause the alternator to fail. It's also possible that the battery is getting weak, the first cool nights of the year usually kill batteries.

As an order of operations, I would suggest:
1) Replace radiator and hoses. This is also a very good time to do the serpentine belt, tensioners, and water pump. On a 2011 if these haven't been done before, they are overdue and should be replaced.
2) Have the battery tested, or at least put the battery on a charger. Replace or recharge as necessary.
3) If replacing or recharging the battery doesn't help, then have the alternator tested. Replace accordingly.

On a 12 year old truck, a radiator, alternator, or battery failure wouldn't be surprising, even if they weren't entirely related.

I don’t see how it could hurt it. The only time contamination seems to hurt the alternator is mud or dirty water rising from below.. which makes sense. The older cruiser alternator I disassembled had the brushes in something of a “diving bell”.. open from the bottom but from the top and sides the wear parts were guarded from contamination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom