Dead alternator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting but I don’t think I’m looking to do something custom here.

This is my first alternator, I know rebuilding them is pretty common but I’m surprised that I can’t find a new Denso anywhere.

Remanufactured is ok?
There is a good motor shop near me and when I was replacing my alt I took the old one to them for rebuild (I installed a new OEM but thought I’d rebuild the old one just to have as a ready spare). They tested and inspected it and said there was really nothing wrong with it. They said they could refresh it (brushes, bearings, & rectifier) but getting the real Deso parts is long lead and total parts and labor would be near $400 which was about the cost of a new OEM alt. Maybe they just didn’t want to mess with it. I thought about getting the parts and installing myself but never did.

The outfit from whom I bought my upgraded alternator advertises Denso parts. This was extremely important to me too. I know you said you didn't want to upgrade but an upgraded alternator in hand might be better than an OEM alternator with a long lead time. And you certainly don't have to upgrade to the extent I did; the higher capacity alternators cost more as you'd expect.

I'm hanging on to my OEM alternator "just in case" too, LOL!

This is the company that makes the alternators:
M2kinc | Automotive Diagnostic,programing Tools. - https://m2kinc.com/

This is their consumer facing website:
SBC | Automotive Alternators - https://smartbatterycharger.net/

I do have a battery light which I assumed just meant low voltage but according to the manual it means there’s a problem with the charging system.

I got my battery back charged from AutoZone and they said it looked fine, I put it back in and the car starts and runs but the battery light remains so I don’t think it’s being charged. My dash meter shows just under 12v.

Yea, battery idiot light on = alternator not charging. Which means you could have a bad alternator and maybe 1/2 hr. before the truck dies (assuming the battery was fully charged). Shut off as many electrical accessories and get home or to the shop ASAP before you get stranded on the side of the road. Or worse, if you also loose power steering, it means the serpentine belt broke and your water pump isn't turning either, so in that case you would want to pull over and turn off the engine ASAP to avoid overheating the engine.

Your LX also has a voltmeter in the dash. That should be reading right in the middle when the engine is running (about14V). If it isn't, you have problems with your charging system (battery light or no battery light).

Today was a massively frustrating and difficult day of rounded bolts and really hard to get to spaces. Took all day (and a few new tools) to FINALLY get to the alternator and get all the bolts and nuts off of it to find that it's seized to the mounting spot, I can't break it free.

SERENITY NOW!

Closing up shop for the night, maybe it will slide out tomorrow...

Today was a massively frustrating and difficult day of rounded bolts and really hard to get to spaces. Took all day (and a few new tools) to FINALLY get to the alternator and get all the bolts and nuts off of it to find that it's seized to the mounting spot, I can't break it free.

SERENITY NOW!

Closing up shop for the night, maybe it will slide out tomorrow...
Rough time. Can you hit the mounting locations with some penetrating oil for overnight?

There are five mounting bolts, correct (4 bolts and one nut on a stud)? Plus the stud for the battery.

Do you have to remove the upper right stud to get this thing to move?

I got it out today, hallelujah!

A question, though. On the old alternator there are two little sleeve things inside two bolt channels. These aren’t in the new one.

Do I need to move these to the new alternator? One came out easily, the other isn’t budging yet.

IMG_5403.jpeg

IMG_5404.jpeg

I got it out today, hallelujah!

A question, though. On the old alternator there are two little sleeve things inside two bolt channels. These aren’t in the new one.

Do I need to move these to the new alternator? One came out easily, the other isn’t budging yet.

View attachment 3589229

View attachment 3589230
I'm betting those sleeves need to be in-place whether they came with the new alternator or not. That's the best way to make sure everything is truly lined up, and without them.. that's not happening.

Also sand and put some anti-seize on them to prevent getting stuck again. Though hopefully the alternator doesn’t need removed as long as you own it.

Well, I didn’t use them. They just floated in the channels and slid over the bolt. Maybe they’d do something significant but I couldn’t see how so I slipped them.

Got everything put back together and all seems well, I guess I’ll discover if they were critical when the belt gets chewed up.

Well, I didn’t use them. They just floated in the channels and slid over the bolt. Maybe they’d do something significant but I couldn’t see how so I slipped them.

Got everything put back together and all seems well, I guess I’ll discover if they were critical when the belt gets chewed up.
Meaning the holes in the replacement alternator were larger than the original? Was this the denso reman?

They didn’t seem to be larger, once I freed the sleeves they slid around in the original alternator as well.

I got a new (not reman) Denso.

They didn’t seem to be larger, once I freed the sleeves they slid around in the original alternator as well.

I got a new (not reman) Denso.
Ah, I get it. So it was a snug (just meaning not wobbling around) fit but could just slide out the other side?

So I think they are supposed to be a press fit into the alternator bracket and then just line up the alternator when it is attached.

Yeah, keep an eye on that belt. If the other holes didn’t do a better job of aligning things I fear it’s time may be reduced.

Interesting. Neither my OEM alternator nor my upgraded replacement alternator had these sleeves. I have a 2018.

Interesting. Neither my OEM alternator nor my upgraded replacement alternator had these sleeves. I have a 2018.
Are you sure they weren’t in the bracket mounted to the engine block?

Edit: I dug around in the parts catalogs. Those are 90253-11021 and they are inserted into then protrude from holes in the timing cover on both sides to locate the alternator and AC compressor.

I hate to say this @Bryanmc but you should probably consider putting them back in place.

Last edited:
Are you sure they weren’t in the bracket mounted to the engine block?

Edit: I dug around in the parts catalogs. Those are 90253-11021 and they are inserted into then protrude from holes in the timing cover on both sides to locate the alternator and AC compressor.

I hate to say this @Bryanmc but you should probably consider putting them back in place.
Well now that you mention it I have to admit no I'm not 100% sure. The new one didn't come with them and they weren't left over in the OEM unit. But I must say I did not witness the swap. So I indeed could be wrong!

Ugh. I'm going to have to be convinced. That's not a journey I want to repeat...

What do you think are the potential issues? Everything *seems* to be ok, if the alternator isn't aligned perfectly what could happen? It's been running well the last two days, the belt looks ok currently.

My memory is fuzzy but I do seem to recall there were these locating sleeves. They didn't come off with the original alternator so I didn't have to manage that complexity. New alternator didn't come with them. I unfortunately don't have pics of the bracket to show them there.

Pics of the old alternator I just dug out seem to bear witness marks of said sleeves?

These sleeves tend to be used a locating sleeves for alignment when installing. They would add to stability of the part too. Best would be to have them in. My homebrew side says you're probably fine?

1711484181052.png

I did the alternator last summer and dont recall those sleeves whatsoever. Been running fine for about 10k miles since then. Looking at the serpentine belt while the car is running should show if there is any problem with the alternator alignment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom