Dead alternator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My battery is a little over a year old, multimeter reads 12.2 when cold. My LX clicks rapidly when I try and start her.

Cleaned the terminals, no help.

She will start when jumped but after a few minutes dies a slow death, and the battery drops in volts as it runs.

Would seem the alternator isn’t charging the battery. Sound right?

Sounds like an alternator problem. If the battery is fully charged how long it takes before the engine dies?

I’ll find out tomorrow, I left it with AutoZone to charge and test.

I know you said your batt is newer, but I would start with replacing that just to eliminate the simple thing. The symptoms could be of a battery that is failing under load even as it reads okay voltage at rest. It could be the starter or alternator too. With a failing alternator, it's likely the battery is compromised anyways as it hasn't been fully charged and is more deeply drawn, both of which will kill batteries in short order.

I do have a battery light which I assumed just meant low voltage but according to the manual it means there’s a problem with the charging system.

I got my battery back charged from AutoZone and they said it looked fine, I put it back in and the car starts and runs but the battery light remains so I don’t think it’s being charged. My dash meter shows just under 12v.

What does the battery voltage show on the multimeter when it's running? Should be 13.6ish volts. Much lower and I'd definitely suspect the alternator.

What does the battery voltage show on the multimeter when it's running? Should be 13.6ish volts. Much lower and I'd definitely suspect the alternator.
I didn’t check today after having the battery charged but last night it was showing 7-9 volts when running.

I didn’t check today after having the battery charged but last night it was showing 7-9 volts when running.
Yeah I'd definitely put money on the alternator then. When you do get it sorted out, you may have to get a new battery (or at least load test your current one). You can only torture the battery a few times with low voltage before irreversible damage occurs to its capacity. Unless you're not rocking a lead acid battery.

Just curious on your year and miles? I'm at 236k on a 08 LC original alternator.

155K, 2010.

Reviewed several threads, I’m confident this project is within my abilities. Haven’t ever drained a radiator before though, that will be new.

Searching now for a replacement alternator.

I don't know if upgrading the alternator is worthwhile with the "smart alternator" . With my FJ60 with every replacement I'd upgrade if possible.

Check out this thread.

Check out this thread.

Interesting but I don’t think I’m looking to do something custom here.
OEM denso
This is my first alternator, I know rebuilding them is pretty common but I’m surprised that I can’t find a new Denso anywhere.

Remanufactured is ok?

You might shop around but $400-ish is what I paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom