Cool Box; I used to be all “meh” now I am all “WooHoo!” (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought my LC earlier in the year and was initially underwhelmed with the cool box. I thought it was a giant waste of space and an unnecessary feature. Well this weekend I did my first long road trip in the LC from Western Washington down to Eastern Oregon and I am converted.

I loved having cool beverages at hand for the long drive and we packed it full of beers for after mountain bike rides.

I will never speak badly of it again. It made me a road trip hero.
DILLY DILLY

For the 2018, you actuall cannot turn off the ac when the cool box is on. I thought there was something wrong with the ac controller at first but found out late that the switch in the cool box is the master switch. However the ac outside runs on minimum fan and does not vary fan speed even if your last setting was on auto. With the ac on, switch on the cool box. Try turning off the the ac via the ac control on the dash, the fan speed will quickly go to minimum but not totally off.

For the 2018, you actuall cannot turn off the ac when the cool box is on. I thought there was something wrong with the ac controller at first but found out late that the switch in the cool box is the master switch. However the ac outside runs on minimum fan and does not vary fan speed even if your last setting was on auto. With the ac on, switch on the cool box. Try turning off the the ac via the ac control on the dash, the fan speed will quickly go to minimum but not totally off.

These trays make the coolbox a notch better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K...=land+cruiser+accessories&dpPl=1&dpID=41SEAdW

ref=mp_s_a_1_3
Picked up one of those myself. Almost doubles the usefulness.

For the 2018, you actuall cannot turn off the ac when the cool box is on.

All 200's work this way.

Keep in mind that the AC system has a minimum temperature where it will automatically not engage. Depends on incoming air temp and humidity. Protects the evap coil from freezing.

Reactions: MaQ
Who knows how to dig down to the fan motor in the coolbox???

The computer I had the service manual on went poof recently. :(

Just back from 5 week road Trip. There’s a reason they call it a cool box! Love it.

My only complaint is that the coolbox doesn't work when the weather is cold. I understand why (inlet temps and freezing) but it would still be nice to have it when on a cold road trip. Oh well. First world problems.

LOL. Over the past year I have read so many comments about the “uselessness” and wasted space of the cool box. I also remember comparing cars a few years ago and told one dealer that his competitor had a cool box. He rolled his eyes and said he would buy me a cooler. No respect for the cool box.

Great to see that so many have realized its value in a vehicle that is used for long trips. We love it and use it 90% of the time we are in the LC. But of course the LC is our road trip vehicle. My wife has one of those soft-side, insulated lunch box bags that fits just about perfectly. She puts lunch, snacks and adds a frozen bottle of water in the bag and the bag goes in the cool box. When we stop for lunch along a river or at the top of a mountain pass or in a Walmart parking lot out comes the bag. I also leave some fortified GORP in there as emergency food. (“Fortified” GORP is trail mix with peanut M&Ms added. Lots of peanut M&Ms). ;).

We have the tray but I got tired of taking it in and out so I leave it out now. We have a lot of other storage options in our LC due to it only being my wife and I.

And, yes, we do have the challenge of forgetting things in the cool box. My wife leaves a strip of cloth hanging out her side of it but I like the spare key idea. Which works unless you lock your LC with the remote. I believe that is the way to lock your LC with a key in it.

Glad someone commented about using the cool box with the tray. I wasn’t sure if it blocked the vent or not and hadn’t measured or tried using it yet with the tray in place.

... I like the spare key idea. Which works unless you lock your LC with the remote. I believe that is the way to lock your LC with a key in it.

Yes, this is true (just tested to confirm, I didn't know this!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom