Converting a U.S. Spec 80 to Manual Transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

suzuguru

SILVER Star
Threads
Okay, I used the search option, but could not find anything on this. Does anyone know how easy (or difficult) it would be to convert a U.S. spec 80 to a manual transmission? What manual transmissions are best suited for this swap?

5 second find. When you search, go to google an search: 5 speed manual transmission fzj80 ih8mud

How difficult? How deep are your pockets?

5 second find. When you search, go to google an search: 5 speed manual transmission fzj80 ih8mud

How difficult? How deep are your pockets?
I guess I suck at searching, because I searched on here and also did a google search. Next time, I'll try the google search in your format.

I don't mind the money so much, but the process looks like a PITA.

Last edited:
Probably easier and cheaper if you start with a FJ80 with the 3FE

Thanks for the advice, but I would definitely rather have the 1FZFE.

Thanks for the advice, but I would definitely rather have the 1FZFE.
For the trouble, maybe a completely different engine/trans would be smart.

Maybe look out for a stock manual import. Then swap over your goodies and sell your rig.

Maybe look out for a stock manual import. Then swap over your goodies and sell your rig.

Good idea, but I don't even have one yet. I'm thinking about getting one just for that purpose.

Actually, I've wanted an 80 for a long time, but having an auto option only, has always stopped me.

It's about 8-10k to get an h151f swap done in an 80, and If you can't weld your self you'll need to pay a shop to fix your trans/tcase mount issue. Drilling the firewall for the master cylinder requires tool and knowledge and there is a small amount of wiring that needs to be re done, lastly you'll need to sort out your shifter console and trim should you choose to put it back. Add to that the cost of an 80 and now your what 20-25k into this project assuming you do all the work yourself and only have parts costs? I swapped mine and it's not crazy difficult if you have some knowledge.

It's about 8-10k to get an h151f swap done in an 80, and If you can't weld your self you'll need to pay a shop to fix your trans/tcase mount issue. Drilling the firewall for the master cylinder requires tool and knowledge and there is a small amount of wiring that needs to be re done, lastly you'll need to sort out your shifter console and trim should you choose to put it back. Add to that the cost of an 80 and now your what 20-25k into this project assuming you do all the work yourself and only have parts costs? I swapped mine and it's not crazy difficult if you have some knowledge.

I don’t have specific Land Cruiser knowledge, but I’m pretty mechanically minded. I do industrial maintenance for a living. Welding and fabrication isn’t a problem for me. My main concerns are knowing where exactly to put this and that. I’m not real keen on automotive wiring, though.

I have discovered that google is far more effective in searching for topics on IH8MUD Too. The search on this site aint the best.

I don’t have specific Land Cruiser knowledge, but I’m pretty mechanically minded. I do industrial maintenance for a living. Welding and fabrication isn’t a problem for me. My main concerns are knowing where exactly to put this and that. I’m not real keen on automotive wiring, though.
Then your most difficult part will be getting all the parts together, none of these items came to the usa so you'll have to get everything imported. It can be done, it's been done plenty of times and documented fairly well on here. The parts are no different than any other manual trans truck and the technical service manuals are all posted on here as well in the resources section.

When the time comes, I'm sure there are some members here who can help me source needed parts also.

Will and H151 Bolt up to a 1FZFE, or do I need to use an adapter plate?
Edit: After reading through the entire thread that OGBeno mentioned previously, I *think* the transmission would mate up to the 1FZFE, but it seems there might be some trouble with the transmission input shaft length due to differences in the back of the engines??

Last edited:
When the time comes, I'm sure there are some members here who can help me source needed parts also.

Will and H151 Bolt up to a 1FZFE, or do I need to use an adapter plate?
Edit: After reading through the entire thread that OGBeno mentioned previously, I *think* the transmission would mate up to the 1FZFE, but it seems there might be some trouble with the transmission input shaft length due to differences in the back of the engines??
The h151s were offered behind several engines including the 1fz, but yes the h151 can 100% bolt onto a 1fz using all oem toyota parts

The h151s were offered behind several engines including the 1fz, but yes the h151 can 100% bolt onto a 1fz using all oem toyota parts

Awesome! Good to know. Thanks!

Good idea, but I don't even have one yet. I'm thinking about getting one just for that purpose.

Actually, I've wanted an 80 for a long time, but having an auto option only, has always stopped me.
Sooo, you don't even have an 80 yet? Hmmmm, As was mentioned before, get one that was manual, factory built. Since you're in still the looking mode, make the manual tranny a must on your list of features for your prize 80. The energy spent IMHO, would be much more efficient and realistic, unless you have masochistic tendencies (not in the sexual sense, but in the general sense).

Truly, I hear you, though. I think the biggest, if not the only regret of my '94, is the auto tranny. And it works flawlessly - for an auto - actually the best auto of any auto truck or SUV I've owned. I prefer a manual, I guess because that's what I started with and enjoy their performance compared with autos. But, as you know, U.S. spec 80's were exclusively autos and after driving my other manual rigs and jump into the 80, start driving it, getting back into the 'auto mode', I'm fine for a while until coming up to a light or stop sign and find myself grabbing the shifter while trying to mash the dead pedal though the firewall o_O . Ya just have to keep that sense of humor - it's critical :rolleyes:. One day, I'd like to drive a manual 1FZ 80, though!

Last edited:
Sooo, you don't even have an 80 yet? Hmmmm, As was mentioned before, get one that was manual, factory built. Since you're in still the looking mode, make the manual tranny a must on your list of features for your prize 80. The energy spent IMHO, would be much for efficient and realistic, unless you have masochistic tendencies (not in the sexual sense, but in the general sense).

Truly, I hear you, though. I think the biggest, if not the only regret of my '94, is the auto tranny. And it works flawlessly - for an auto - actually the best auto of any auto truck or SUV I've owned. I prefer a manual, I guess because that's what I started with and enjoy their performance compared with autos. But, as you know, U.S. spec 80's were exclusively autos and after driving my other manual rigs and jump into the 80, start driving it, getting back into the 'auto mode', I'm fine for a while until coming up to a light or stop sign and find myself grabbing the shifter while trying to mash the dead pedal though the firewall o_O . Ya just have to keep that sense of humor - it's critical :rolleyes:. One day, I'd like to drive a manual 1FZ 80, though!

If I could find one for a price that’s remotely comparable to what I would end up spending on the whole shooting match, I’d be happy to go that route. I don’t doubt for a minute that those autos in the US spec 80’s are great. I just really, really prefer to drive manuals.

Sooo, you don't even have an 80 yet? Hmmmm, As was mentioned before, get one that was manual, factory built. Since you're in still the looking mode, make the manual tranny a must on your list of features for your prize 80. The energy spent IMHO, would be much for efficient and realistic, unless you have masochistic tendencies (not in the sexual sense, but in the general sense).

If I had a dollar for everytime I've slammed on the brakes with my left foot....

If I had a dollar for everytime I've slammed on the brakes with my left foot....
😆 I've seen people who use their left foot for the break pedal frequently, if not exclusively. I can do it, while driving an auto, but not very well. I'm thinking it's my manual instincts that make it difficult to do. I have the same problem on 2 wheels using my foot to shift, hand clutch, hand thottle and separate front and rear brake levers. Yeah, I can do it, but not very well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom