Considering.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ghostrider I

I wear many "heads" as I have many vehicles.
Threads
Eh, I wouldn't say I wheel the piss out of it....

@Ghostrider I check the maintenance history, and get the VIN and run it on Lexus Driver's site. It's a non-nav GX and looks like no KDSS, which are "good" depending on your tastes (I am quite happy w/ my nav-equipped GX). I wonder why so much stuff had to be replaced at such low mileage, just age doesn't necessarily explain it. Did he use Toyota/Lexus cv's, or aftermarket junk?

With the white, make extra damn sure the paint on hood and roof are not peeling.

The 120 Series FAQ and Links has some great info (and some very dubious claims imnsho) - transfer case actuator leak, dashboard cracks, etc. Just my personal opinion, but I'd go for 2005 or newer due to improvements and changes over the course of the run....

No JonVee, the diesel is for fun. I'm certain that they will be jealous once it's done. I'm looking for a daily since it makes no sense owning a WK Grand Cherokee when you own a REAL body on frame SUV.
littlejoe, what is KDSS?

Oh, and there is a dude up the street from me who has a FJ cruiser. Next time I see him, I'll bring up ONSC. What I mean by done is when my HDJ is in full Overland form.

Interesting.... posting was deleted.

KDSS == kinetic dynamic suspension system. It is the variable hydraulically-controlled sway bars front and rear that allow the GX to corner like an F1 car onroad, and articulate like the master of rocks offroad.

KDSS == kinetic dynamic suspension system. It is the variable hydraulically-controlled sway bars front and rear that allow the GX to corner like an F1 car onroad, and articulate like the master of rocks offroad.

. . and also something to avoid if you have dreams of being like @little_joe and lifting and using the heck out of it on and off road :)

It is now already off Clist, but this other white vehicle is still for sale:

1973 mercury comet

You cannot go wrong with the gx. My wife crawls all the malls in charlotte and near by cities in it. My has IHM. “ in home maintenance” so i do the bare minimum to it. The cracking dash has a change for free campaign from lexus. There is aslo a recall on one of the drive shafts. Lexus did it, i didnt ask. Other than that everything has been very good with it. The navigation system is garbage, but the other stuff are good. So, i will recomend it.

According to the seller, he sold it. I'm now considering a 2013 Cruiser at Town and Country. Damn rig is in pearl white!! Yet, it's got low mileage. Not a fan of push button ignition, but it does check all the other boxes. Anyone deal with them? I know that one dude I think he works in the body shop went crazy when I pulled in with the Diesel to order the screws that hold the steps to the third row seats. He shot two dozen pics of my truck.

2013 LC??? Nah, man. Somebody else in the club already bought a 200 this decade. ;) While some of our folks have had 200's, it's largely uncharted territory around here. The 200 sub-forum will be your best bet for info. Good luck. They're damned awesome.

i need to look at the drive shaft recall. wouldnt mind getting a freebie, and a free wash

According to the seller, he sold it. I'm now considering a 2013 Cruiser at Town and Country. Damn rig is in pearl white!! Yet, it's got low mileage. Not a fan of push button ignition, but it does check all the other boxes. Anyone deal with them? I know that one dude I think he works in the body shop went crazy when I pulled in with the Diesel to order the screws that hold the steps to the third row seats. He shot two dozen pics of my truck.

Beware of that white 200 at T&C. There may be issues that are not being disclosed. See link below from MUD Classifieds:

Dealer - Buyer Beware: 2013 LC in North Carolina

Last edited:
I love my 2008. It had 123k on it when I bought it. I found it with an amazing maint history, all from Lexus of Charleston. TB/WP/Tenioners, Radiator, inner/outer cv boots, brakes all the way around, etc. I believe Toyota changed paint formulas on the blizzard white pearl in 08, or their primer coat, becase mine doesnt have the lifting issue that other older ones have.

The frame and suspension share the 120 series platform with the 4runner and fj cruiser. Suspension lift systems from that age range of either vehicle are interchangeable. You will have to source a kit for rear spring cups when you remove the oem airbag system. There are tons of writeups on that in the 120 section and on the GXOR facebook group.

If you can find one with the towing package already installed, thats a huge bonus. The hitch is stupid expensive aftermarket.

My only complaint is that the frame around the sunroof was rusted. like ugly bubbly rust. Dont know if thats from being a coastal vehicle that had the sunroof open all the time, or a common "thing". If it ever becomes a real issue, I'll find one at a salvage yard and swap it in.

Finding one with non-nav will allow you an easier time to upgrade the audio system. The factory nav units have Radio, GPS, Climate control, maintenance info panel, and some other doodads. The non nav units have a separate climate control panel. On the 08, the 6 disc dvd changer is in the glovebox, which cuts the space about in half. (mine came with the 2nd row dvd screens). The Mark Levinson audio system is also 8 ohm stuff, where most aftermarket car audio stuff is 4 ohm. The NAV is pretty much useless, slow, hard to enter data. The Bluetoof interface is difficult, but remember, both of these technologies were state of the art. Mine came with a cabled AUX interface in the center console, so I have a bluetooth adapter for that.

Mark Levinson is Satan. Avoid if you can (and most of the time you can't). The amp on my wife's LX470 has been sent to New York at least three times for repairs. Replacement is not cost effective. See why below:

2005 LEXUS LX470 Amplifier assembly, stereo component. Amplifier assy, ster; w(mark - 862800W050 | Butler Lexus of South Atlanta, Union City GA

You read that right...$1,658! What's worse, it's not even a decent amp. Sound quality is mediocre at best, but it's 8 ohm and it is part of the integrated system so you can't just replace it with an off the shelf unit from Best Buy. It's a real problem.

Last edited:
The other complaint is the satellite radio. radio channels stop at 255 or so. At least they do on ours. BUT, we have NOT paid a dime for the sat radio since we bought it. i "think" Jenny the previous owner either did a lifetime deal, or shes been paying the bill for ours. we know her name was jenny because she had two phones in the bluetooth directory nsmed jennys iphone and jennys new iphone

Yeah, it’s common to find people paying for Sirius satellite who don’t even know it because they have multiple devices and have upgraded units in the past but might not have deleted them from their account profile. Happened to me. I sold a NIB receiver once...the guy tried to activate it and couldn’t because it was activated on my account even though I never set that up. He was able to get them to deactivate it but it cancelled my entire account in the process. Never bothered to complain or renew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom