Considering replacing my 96 Tacoma with a 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Daily Half hour commute - get a 100.... or keep the tacoma and get a lexus sedan or toyota avalon....

Why 200 won't need a steering rack?
I believe it is a different design. I think steering rack replacement is unique to the 100

Yea most of the trails I do are pretty mild, so I'm hoping the IFS will hold up decently well. At least a rack for a Tacoma isn't crazy expensive. I think the little Tacoma really shines on those type of narrow tracks out in the woods. We don't have as many rocky hardcore trails out here like up in Colorado, which is where a beefier Land Cruiser excels IMO. Apparently the IFS on the 1G Taco/3G4R doesn't hold up very well in settings with more constant traction i.e. Moab, Johnson Valley, etc. (Having said that, I am planning on doing Stony Pass and maybe Pearl Pass this summer). The torsion bar setup on the 100 might not be the flexiest, but it does seem to be pretty durable: not far behind the solid axle on the 80 series I'd say, at least as far as the CVs/Birfs.

My 97 LC wasn't as lithe out on the trails around here. It didn't seem to like mud, clay, or wet slopes very much. But I did have the feeling that it would hold up much better to prolonged abuse on rough roads than my current Tacoma. In a way, it's sort of a balancing act between durability and maneuverability. A twin locked 80 might be the sweet spot, but mine had open diffs. I felt like the big 80 really needed locker to heave itself up some obstacles, whereas the Tacoma was light enough to "send it", if that makes any sense.
With extended travel IMS I get 24.75" of droop. I've not had any desire for more. I get good flex from the rear. I've found trails in Colorado to be more like the ones in Newton County than the rocky ledges in Johnson County. I do like having the option to change the front ride height with the turn of an adjuster bolt. To me having a short turning radius is a plus for Colorado switchbacks. The 100 does well in this area considering a comfortable 17-hour ride to and from AR to Silverton.

I do need to watch out on the highway for speeding tickets. It will sit up and roll.

Last edited:
I bet it can actually get out of its own way up on the passes also, unlike an 80 series or 1G Tacoma.
I've had 4L regeared with the Transfer case 25% reduction Sumo gear set. It helps to keep me from riding the brakes and gives me more power on a climb. Then if I need more speed on the trail, I use the 2nd gear start and drive around in 2nd. It's only choosing the right gear set.

This is Johnson and Pope county -- 100s in the Ozarks. @Bisho

@SaturnAscends Newton County is about being beautiful and accessible. Of course you know that already.

I'd like to drive one locally to see how I like it. I may end up just learning to love the Tacoma. It's great out on the trails, but its highway manners (or lack thereof) are starting to wear on me.
The Hundy is a very nice ride. The improvement over an 80 in the driving experience is noticeably greater than 80 over 60 series.

Easier to work on than an 80? I've heard the opposite. Keep the Taco if you want to save money and have any use for a truck bed at all.

The Hundy is a very nice ride. The improvement over an 80 in the driving experience is noticeably greater than 80 over 60 series.

Easier to work on than an 80? I've heard the opposite. Keep the Taco if you want to save money and have any use for a truck bed at all.
I get the feeling that the newer IFS Land Cruiser are more reliable than the older models, but perhaps less durable and simple to work on. When they do go wrong, it seems like they can be more expensive and difficult to fix, and aren’t designed to be limped home or fail “positively” i.e. brake booster failure will just cause a hard pedal in the 80 vs. loss of braking after one stop in a 100. However, they are less likely to develop 10 different leaks, warp the head, need axle rebuild every 60k, etc. I would think a steering rack would be cheaper and easier to deal with than the steering box in the 80, however.

Something I forgot to mention when looking back at my 100 series addition, is that I had installed TechStream (TIS) and was proficient with it on my 99 model Taco. While I was disappointed to learn that I could not perform a cylinder contribution (power balance test) on the Taco, I did get TIS installed on my laptop and got it running. Then when I needed to use it on the 100 series to debug certain issues and to configure the "auto tilt away steering wheel" preference, I knew where to go.

Getting that jump start with TIS played a role in my initial 100 series happiness.

I replaced my steering rack at approximately 230,000 miles. It didn't leak and or need to be replaced but the cost difference for it vs OEM inner tie rod ends and boots wasn't enough to not do it. I knew I would be replacing it before 300,000 miles, so why not.

The weight of the 100 will be very noticeable in comparison to the Taco. Since you are wondering about mud, I can say I really don't like driving it in mud (IH8MUD). That is probably due to my desire to run AT tires over a committed MT since the 100 is my daily driver.

For what it's worth, my 99 still has the 2 spider gear diff at 377k miles. I don't care what others say, a high mileage 100 is a total maintenance whore! But it is totally worth it.

The weight of the 100 will be very noticeable in comparison to the Taco. Since you are wondering about mud, I can say I really don't like driving it in mud (IH8MUD). That is probably due to my desire to run AT tires over a committed MT since the 100 is my daily driver.

For what it's worth, my 99 still has the 2 spider gear diff at 377k miles. I don't care what others say, a high mileage 100 is a total maintenance whore! But it is totally worth it.
Yea I’d guess it’s probably about the same on maintenance as a 3.4 Tacoma of the same age, mileage, and service history, but parts for 100 are probably more expensive. Then there’s the AHC variable if it has that.

I would think a steering rack would be cheaper and easier to deal with than the steering box in the 80, however.
About the same tbh… and Pulling the 80 box is easier than pulling the 100 steering rack IMO.

After going from a 97 Land Cruiser to a 96 Tacoma, I am regretting giving up all the interior space. and durability of a Land Cruiser, and am also looking for something better suited to a daily half-hour commute, while also perhaps being more resistant to frame rust when driven in wintry conditions.

I'm also considering a GX470, but am leaning towards a 100 series for the stronger 9.5" rear diff, the extra space, and the availability of a rear locker in the 98-99 models. However, I could be swayed toward the GX since they seem to command lower prices compared to the UZJ100.

However, I had a few concerns. I'd heard of issues with the ATRAC overloading the R&P on the front diffs, even in light snow. I'd prefer the 98-99 models for this reason; I prefer the idea of a rear locker instead, even if they do have the weaker front diffs from the factory (I figure most of those would be replaced by now?) Is there any insight on this issue? I figured maybe a front LSD would help as well..

Also, how do they compare with an 80 series in wintry conditions, in terms of performance and rust-resistance?

Will it be too big and ungainly for the narrow muddy tracks we have here in northwest Arkansas? My 80 series seemed to get bogged down relatively easily in these conditions with open diffs where a lighter Tacoma would crawl through easily.

Finally, is the usual (deferred) maintenance/baselining process less expensive and painstaking than that of an FZJ80? From what I've researched, they seem to have sealed bearings, obviating the obligatory front axle rebuilds on the 80 series, and the 2UZ doesn't seem to need top-end rebuilds every 200k like the 1fz; however, they do appear to have their own quirks, like cracked manifolds, etc.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the long-winded post, but I'd appreciate any insights on any of this from current owners. Thanks.
I saw this thread last week and haven't had time to reply, but hopefully this is helpful.

I daily drove an 80 series for 17 years in Northern Idaho, northern Virginia, San Diego, and Virginia Beach. I have wheeled pretty hard at Rausch creek in PA and at Uwharrie, so am somewhat familiar with east coast tight trails with clay and mud. I also have a 98 Tacoma with the 3rz/5 speed, and had a 95 t100 with the 5vz/5speed for a few years as well. In 2017 and 2018, I drove the Tacoma 3-4 times for a few weeks each for gas mileage and to get some maintenance done on the 80. While I enjoyed driving the taco, the day I got back in the 80 I was struck by how much better it was--comfort, road noise, poise, etc. Every time I would go from the 80 to the taco, my initial thought was always "what a hunk of junk." When I switched from the taco to the 80, my initial thought was always "this is why I DD a land cruiser."

We bought our first 100 in 2017 and though I liked it, it wasn't enough to lure me away from the 80. After wheeling with our second one and then a 4500 mile trip in 7 days, I was sold. The comparison between the 100 and the taco is very similar to the 80 and the taco, but the 100 is better in almost every way. Off road, it struggles where the 80 would shine, but it gets the job done--you can't wheel them exactly the same way.

For a couple of your specific concerns:

As a commuter--I sold my 2002 camry in order to DD my 80 from Quantico to the pentagon 72 miles round trip. Yes, gas mileage stinks, but I was comfortable, could see over traffic, and nobody tried to push me around.

In mud--the heavier cruisers are never going to be great, but tires and lockers (or ATRAC) will make things manageable.

On tight trails--I haven't really noticed the extra size of the 100, but I know there are trails that I would notice. FWIW, the turning radius on an 80 and a 100 is better than a tacoma--at least on my extended cab, no clue if you have a standard cab short bed.

I am one of the ones who has upgraded my front diff to a 4 pinion version. This was a result of trying to wheel a 100 like an 80--completely my fault. On a wheeling trip at rausch creek in 2010 or so, I wheeled with a 99 who broke his diff and an 03 who also broke his diff. Both were due to not understanding the ramifications of wheel lift, throttle, and sudden traction. Most people just go with an ARB locker as it is stronger than the old diff, and it is a locker.

I also broke the front diff in my T100 in 2006 or so doing the same thing. I have finally learned:hillbilly:

For winter driving, I find the 100 to be just as sure footed as the 80, with the nod going to the ATRAC/VSC equipped 100 over any of the others. I ran an aussie locker in the rear of the 80, and it was transparent in all conditions--my 99 will be getting one this spring. Both will rust just as easily if not treated.

As stated by others, maintenance is essentially a wash--the taco parts will be cheaper, but beyond that, they are 20+ year old vehicles--they'll need maintenance.

As far as year goes, I actually prefer the 98-02 with the 4 speed. It isn't a speed demon, but they do fine except on high altitude passes--I drove my 2000 loaded with camping gear from Virginia Beach to Cody, Wyoming and I did not encounter any hills that the lx couldn't conquer at speed. I also despise the nav screen, and finding an earlier one that doesn't have it is easier--this is a downside on the GX as well. The later versions have an increasing amount of gizmos that need maintenance and don't really appeal to me. Rain sensing wipers, meh; variable steering, meh; secondary air injection, super meh; etc. In my opinion, the sweet spot for simplicity and capability is a 2000-2002 with an aftermarket locker of your choice.

Good luck!

Dan

One further thought--We spend enough of our lives in our vehicles that it should be an environment that we enjoy. I have owned the following vehicles in the last ~25 years:
63 Mercury Comet
63 Fairlane
69 fj-55
74 fj-55
81 mini truck
85 mini truck
91 camry wagon
92 camry
93 Land Cruiser
94 Land Cruiser
94 4runner
95 LS 400
95 T100
97 Land Cruiser
98 Tacoma
99 Land Cruiser x2
99 4runner
00 LX 470
01 Sequoia
01 4runner
02 Camry
06 Tundra
07 Escalade ESV
11 Expedition EL

Of those, only three (models) really made me happy every single time I drove them--the LS400, the Escalade, and the 100 series. I enjoyed driving many of the others, with the 80 series topping the list, but when I sat/sit down in any of the top three, it is almost like getting a hug---I'm at the point in my life where I won't drive anything that doesn't feel like that.

YMMV

Barely. I don’t remember the exact numbers but it’s something like 7.8” front travel for the 100 and 8.2” front travel for the GX/4Runner/FJC/Prado/Taco…BUT, you can actually long-travel the 120/150s, whereas you can’t do much to increase 100 travel.
Yeah I should have clarified, I should've said not stock to stock, but factoring in aftermarket things like UCAs (which make little difference in 100 compared to others) and then like you said ability to LT.

I went to look at this 2002 LX470 the other day. The AHC amazingly actually worked, though the sunroof did not. It had the exhaust manifold tick on startup, though it quieted down after a minute. I was shocked at how heavy and imprecise the steering was, however; the thing turned like a battle ship compared to my Tacoma with a dripping, worn out rack. I can’t imagine what it’d feel like on 33” mud tires. Maybe this was just a poorly maintained example, but I have to say it didn’t offer enough to draw me away from my Tacoma; in fact not even close. It’s also been sitting for a month at $8500, which doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.

1708211509498.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom