Considering...Michelin Defender 285/60r18 for my 99 100 Series??> (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently have Nitto Terra Grappler G2's...they look cool, but I don't think I need the "off road" skills of these tires. Mine is more of a mall cruiser than anything.

Anyone have them? If so, I assume they are XL? I believe you have to go to 285/65/r18's to get the E rated sidewall on the Defenders. What pressure are you running in your XL's?

Terra's are nice to look at, but the road noise is starting to get frustrating on longer road trips. I need to verify the sidewalls, but I think the G2's I have are E rated...thinking Michelin Defenders in XL would be a better tire for my needs, even if they look a little weird on my truck lol

I have the 285 70 17 E- rated LTX Defenders. They came on the rims I bought awhile back.
No idea how they perform offroad or in snow yet.

The look definitely takes some getting used to but the ride is smooth and quiet.
I'm running 38 psi.

I have the 285 70 17 E- rated LTX Defenders. They came on the rims I bought awhile back.
No idea how they perform offroad or in snow yet.

The look definitely takes some getting used to but the ride is smooth and quiet.
I'm running 38 psi.
where did your decision to run 38 PSI come from? I have been experimenting with my new Mickey Thompson a/t Baja boss. 265/75r16. The manufacturer says run the door jamb pressures of 29 up front and 32 in the rear. I’ve been combing around the forum to find discussions on this. Pros cons mpg etc..

The door jam chart is for P-rated tires.
38 psi is a few lbs low for LT E-rated tires. Max is 50 for heavy loads. I was at 40-42 psi.
I'm compensating for the stiffer shocks that I installed. The tire patch is good, the sidewalls are not bulged out and tires are wearing even.

The door jam chart is for P-rated tires.
38 psi is a few lbs low for LT E-rated tires. Max is 50 for heavy loads. I was at 40-42 psi.
I'm compensating for the stiffer shocks that I installed. The tire patch is good, the sidewalls are not bulged out and tires are wearing even.
Some E rated tires have a max of 80.

Interested here, don’t off-road but go through snow. The 200 series area has a large post about defenders and people on the West using them with success this winter, and off-road, aird down.

I was going to stay stock size because I don’t have a preference. I do use it for job sites here and there, so a heavier E rated tire might not be a bad idea.

I should have said E-rated max is 80 psi for heavy loads.
The LTX Defender is super smooth on the highway for an E rated tire. You may lose some comfort with pot holes and rough roads.

Here's an oldie but a goodie. LTX is a great tire. FWIW I ran my E-rated Goodyear SilentArmors between 40 and 48 PSI unless I was aired-down for offroad traction. DO NOT run the listed doorsill tire pressure with LT-rated tires, those pressures are for P-rated tires only.

There are trade-offs on every tire depending on where you drive.
I ran Toyo Extremes for 50,000 miles and never had a cut or a flat. I pulled four nails out over that time. They stuck in the treadblock and bent down instead of going flat.
I picked up a nail on the Defenders and had to plug it.

275/65 18 LTX AT2 on 2004 LC rims work for me On my 99. Not E rated though.

I have the defender ltx on my 01 and they are the smoothest tire I have ever owned. I don't go off road but they do pretty good in the snow. I have read that they do decent off road as well.

I have the Michelin defender LTX in 265/65/18. They work great for what I need. They’re a bit narrower and slightly better in the snow and ice. They’re slightly taller though by a half inch. They are super quiet and decent off road. I bought these after reading this article about how they beefed them up in their latest generation.

Last edited:
Just an update, 3 hours through 4-6” of fluffy snow today. 0 traction problems very sure footed driving up and down hills.

Would recommend defenders so far. Also way smoother and quieter than the wildpeaks they replaced.

I have been pleasantly surprised and happy with the Defenders. Wheeled the Cove this fall and had no traction issues with the green trails (green is the new black apparently). Hit gravel roads with multiple creek crossings without issue. Also drove around on sod covered rocks without issue. All in all a positive experience.

DSC06083.jpeg

IMG_5162.jpeg

IMG_5192.jpeg

I have a set of them on our 04 super smooth. I ran a set on my 82 toyota pickup from 1996 to 2014 and they still had 1/4 tread left! And offroad they are fine that way too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom