Configuration Question - 4 Speed Tranny on Early (Feb) '74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Feb '74 FJ-40, based on the door plate, as well as the Frame ID number and the engine ID Number.

According to this FAQ Info - I should have a three-speed tranny - everything else matches up...

1974 2F 4 SPD 1.999:1 4 Speed Transmission (8/74)
Larger universal joints & flanges (01/74)
Transfer shift rod notched for driveshaft clearance (1/74)
Rectangular RR brake lights/turn signals
RR lower shock bolt moves from axle to U-bolt bracket
Clutch changed from coil spring type to diaphragm (08/74)
Clutch slave moved from left to right side of bellhousing (08/74)
Cover added to timing hole (08/74)
No. 2 cover on bellhousing changed from steel to rubber (08/74)
Clutch release fork boot modified
U-joint flange modified for better grease nipple access (11/74)
Longest production run of any LC (9/73-12/74)

I am not sure how a 4-speed tranny got into my rig, bechase nothing i have seen indicates that any of the PO's ever did anything other than cosmetic changes. But maybe I am wrong.

Is there any way a factory 4 speed was available in Feb '74 (with the F & 1/2 engine)?

Thanks -

Chuck

PS> I know it was a long time ago, but maybe some of the older guys can remember this info ....

its been a while i thought the 4 speed was available in cal before the rest of us got it not sure good luck

Could be, it's a california truck (EGR port on the carb & all the fancy smog plumbing)....

a 4spd is a bolt in mod to the f motor.

what's the big deal? i'm sure at some point in time somebody probably needed to do a clutch job on it, that would have been a perfect time to do the swap.

Hey Rocky, Im not sure if this will help you much since my rig is from later in 74, november to be exact. But as far as I can tell mine is stock and it has the 4 speed transmission hooked up to the F & 1/2 as well. My truck is from here in California as well so I believe that your transmission is probably stock. But, I cannot say for sure since I wasnt exactly alive in 1974. I am pretty sure my parents had just graduated highschool actually :whoops: . But, like I said everything on my truck is stock, well except the windshield frame and one of the fenders, left overs from the PO's barrel roll after a party in tahoe. Good luck tracking down the information.

:beer: SLO

They had them in the 40's for the 74 models, I have seen a few that date late 73 that had the for speed but were 74 models. People say it is a myth that early 4 speed had a three speed tcase behind it but my 74 in FAQ I had the 3 speed case be hind my 4 speed.

Rocky, which side of the BH is the slave on? I think the early 4 speeds had it on the driver's side. Since '74 was a transition year, I'll bet it is stock configuration. Lotsa weird s*** happens in transition years.

Ed

i have a brochure that says it was an option in 74' I think it was about $125.00 extra .I'll have to check to make sure. The t-case is probably a 3spd case with a transitional gear 16 spline input w/the lower ratio gear set.

My Slave Cylinder is on the Drivers (Left). It seems like the four-speed would be worth the extra $125 (although that was a lot of money in those days!).

Anyway - thanks for the responses. I was just curious about this.

Rocky

Mine came with a 4 speed. 1974, production date- 12, 1973. This era used a "transition" T case with low gears somewhere between the 3 and later 4 speed T cases. I am fairly certain that everything that came with mine was factory.

It is no great mystery. The 1974 model year started in September of 1973. That is when the taillights changed from round to 3 color rectangle and full rod linkage was introduced for the carburetor. The 4 speed was offered at the same time.

Best

Mark A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom