Compression #'s = non running motor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You want to set tdc when the pistion is coming up, ie: compression, correct?

Noah

Correct. You can also watch your rockers on cyl #1 to confirm it's on the compression stroke.

The BB is close enough to the TDC mark for what you're doing now.

ok, have been doing some reading and using the search button

question: I have been using the bb lined up with the pointer, I read that I should be using the "tdc line" on the flywheel, is this correct?

question: when determining tdc, someone mentioned that a good way to do it, is to watch the #1 piston and put your thumb on the hole and you should get pressure on the #1 pistion. You want to set tdc when the pistion is coming up, ie: compression, correct?

Noah

When the piston on no.1 is on top and both valves are closed the rotor should point to the point where the 1 wire is connected.

Last edited:
IT RUNS!!

thanks for everyone's help. Turns out the timing must of been off. I learned how to check for TDC by using the thumb over the #1 hole. Then I set the flywheel to the TDC mark and adjusted the valves per the fsm. After that I rotated the flywheel back slightly to the BB and then dropped the disty in.

It runs really high I think due to a large vacuum leak in the exhaust/intake gasket as well as several other places. I can get it to fire and run as long as it has gas but then it usually dies.

Now to place an order with SOR and fix the vacc leaks and some other little stuff. Hopefully I can get a brake and clutch pedal going in the next day, right now the fluid is completely gone, hopefully they just need to be bled.

Noah

as far as visually knowing that I have oil pressure, I was told I could pull the valve cover and look for oil coming through, ran the engine but did not see any flow, any input on where I should be looking on the valves for oil coming through?

thx guys, got the eninge to idle ok yesterday evening. Hoping to get some clutch and brake pedal today and I can take it for a spin!! I told my 3 year old daughter she gets the first ride. :)

the PO has a mechanical oil guage in there. Have never dealt with mechanical guages before. Seems there is a tube hooked to the oil cooler, then a power and a ground. Is that correct? I plan to check power and ensure ground and see if I can get it working today. I am still nervous about the oil pressure thing. I am concerned I have not bottomed out the disty but it seems to be in there just fine. If I can't get the guage to work I may just go buy a cheap temporary oil press guage at the parts store and pop in in the engine compartment just so I am sure I am getting pressure.

Noah

thx guys, got the eninge to idle ok yesterday evening. Hoping to get some clutch and brake pedal today and I can take it for a spin!! I told my 3 year old daughter she gets the first ride. :)

the PO has a mechanical oil guage in there. Have never dealt with mechanical guages before. Seems there is a tube hooked to the oil cooler, then a power and a ground. Is that correct? I plan to check power and ensure ground and see if I can get it working today. I am still nervous about the oil pressure thing. I am concerned I have not bottomed out the disty but it seems to be in there just fine. If I can't get the guage to work I may just go buy a cheap temporary oil press guage at the parts store and pop in in the engine compartment just so I am sure I am getting pressure.

Noah

Power and ground should be for the light.
The pressure works directly on the needle.

Power and ground should be for the light.
The pressure works directly on the needle.

gotcha, figured so, just wanted to confirm as I have never messed with a mechanical before. Eventually I will go back to all stock guages.

My mechanical oilpressure gauge jumps up pretty quickly on start-up...much faster than the stock electrical.

Edit: But it's all primed...

Last edited:
Buddy, are you having doubts as to if your dizzy is seated in your oilpump?
I'm going to tell you how I do it. And I've had lots of different dizzys in & out of my blocks over the last 24 years.

Stand on your passenger side front tire, leaning over the fender. Palm of right hand lies flat over over the dizzy cap. You've already engaged the two important gears, so that is not going to change if you rotate the engine. I do not look down the hole and try to align anything with a screwdriver, like some people do. I just lean down on the dizzy cap with one hand and turn the engine over with the other hand (my remote starter is usually a 17mm endwrench laid across the important posts on the starter), Putting 1/3rd to 1/2 of my body weight on the dizzy and spinning the engine. You sure can feel the dizzy dropping down that last 1/2 inch and seating in the oilpump with a clunk.

thanks Pighead, you da man!

just tried this and CLUNK. now I am getting oil coming out of the rocker holes. No oil pressure on the guage yet but am sure the pump is working now as it is coming out of the rockers.

Still can't get it to idle. It starts and runs for a few moments and then dies. I think this is due to the massive vacc leak on the manifold. Going to place an order today for parts and clean up the engine bay leaks, etc and hopefully will have it idling in a few days.

now off to try and get some brake and clutch pedal. Hopefully it will just bleed and work. This thing has not run in 10+ years so anything goes.....

Noah

My mechanical oilpressure gauge jumps up pretty quickly on start-up...much faster than the stock electrical.

Edit: But it's all primed...
If the setup had not run for 10 years, then the oil pressure line may be dry/blocked, kinked, or just need to be bled out, like brakes. Disconnect from back of gauge and start engine. Let it run for a minute or two and see if oil comes out. Keeping the engine running may be either or both the choke setting at the top butterfy, and/or the idle mix screw. That usually ends up around 2-3 turns out from fully closed. DO NOT force the idle screw in. It should turn with some resistance, but you should feel it when it hits bottom. I'm gussing that your fuel level in the sight glass is staying up OK when you fire it up. John

Bump up the idle speed with the speed screw in the base of the carb facing the firewall. It may only idle at 800 RPM if there is a manifold leak, but it will stay running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom