Complete Transmission Flush DIY - VIDEO (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone have the torque spec for the ‘check’ drain?

I was wondering if something like this simple fluid pump would work for this job.
pump.jpg

I got one from Amazon that turned out to be DOA. ultimately I just used a funnel I ran to the fill port from under the hood. Always good to have options though.
Looks to be centrifugal anyway, which won’t pull a vacuum dry and therefore can’t “lift” the fluid out of the bottle unless you prime all the lines with atf ahead of time.

Most proper fluid transfer pumps are some flavor of positive displacement and don’t care whether there is a fully primed line between the pump and the fluid it’s trying to move.

If you follow the video and fill from top of engine bay you don’t need a pump.

A pump will be helpful for other jobs like AHC or differentials/transfer case.

If you follow the video and fill from top of engine bay you don’t need a pump.

A pump will be helpful for other jobs like AHC or differentials/transfer case.
I know it isn’t needed, but the right pump can make this job quicker and easier from under the truck. I’ll attach a picture of the cheap pump I used… it was much quicker than letting the fluid drain into the transmission via gravity. Also easier than snaking a large-ish hose down along the brake lines and frame, while avoiding the hot exhaust manifold.

The only quirk was having to run jumper cables down to the area because the 12v cord on it wasn’t long enough to reach the battery.

IMG_2458.jpeg

I know it isn’t needed, but the right pump can make this job quicker and easier from under the truck. I’ll attach a picture of the cheap pump I used… it was much quicker than letting the fluid drain into the transmission via gravity. Also easier than snaking a large-ish hose down along the brake lines and frame, while avoiding the hot exhaust manifold.

The only quirk was having to run jumper cables down to the area because the 12v cord on it wasn’t long enough to reach the battery.

View attachment 3602742
I also found this one too in Amazon. I was thinking of using it for multiple purposes like diff. and t-case fluid change. However, I need to wire it to a 12v wall plug adapter with a power switch. I don't think this pump as a on/off switch.

I don't think this pump as a on/off switch.
Mine did, it was on the far end of the pump near where the cord enters.

I will say it would be tough to flush all of one fluid type out before running another. So if you use it for multiple types you’d need to accept a little bit of contamination, or waste some of the new fluid flushing the old out into a disposable container

View attachment 3602742
I'm glad you had a good one! The one I bought (on your earlier rec) got to me DOA. Too bad. At least amazon took it back without any issues.

But for sure! Having a pump will DEFINITELY make any fluid transfer easier, cleaner, more efficient, etc.

Mine did, it was on the far end of the pump near where the cord enters.

I will say it would be tough to flush all of one fluid type out before running another. So if you use it for multiple types you’d need to accept a little bit of contamination, or waste some of the new fluid flushing the old out into a disposable container
I was thinking of using different hose for different types of fluid. Plus, can I open the front cover and then try to clean it a bit before using it for different fluid? It looks like the front cover was held by a couple of screws.

I was thinking of using different hose for different types of fluid. Plus, can I open the front cover and then try to clean it a bit before using it for different fluid? It looks like the front cover was held by a couple of screws.
Tbh the simplest way is just pre-flush and accept that you’ll waste a few oz of new stuff. Yes the cover comes off but I don’t know what the pump intervals look like. Total guess but it’s probably a cheap dual diaphragm pump.. not sure if that can be reassembled easily.

My thought is to cut those two battery style clamp and either solder or use an XT60 or XT90 connector wire it to an AC wall adapter like this one.
1712675355776.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom