Compact Impact Wrench for 80 Work? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
What size / torque do you find most useful for working on the 80? Looking at Milwaukee's 3/8 M18s because I have other MW Fuel tools, but that battery is pretty big. Too big? What are you using? They seem to have stopped making the one Texasknowhow uses in his front main seal/oil pump video (stick battery inside handle). Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
I like my Milwaukee M18 impact driver.

Can't say compactness has been a problem. I have 5.0Ah batteries, plus bigger ones. There is 2.0 or 3.0Ah batteries that are a lot more compact.

A good collection of extensions an sockets help

I like my Milwaukee M18 impact driver.

Can't say compactness has been a problem. I have 5.0Ah batteries, plus bigger ones. There is 2.0 or 3.0Ah batteries that are a lot more compact.

A good collection of extensions an sockets help
Smallest one delivers 167 ft-lbs (and has 4-pole motor), vs larger one at 210. Is that a practical difference in your opinion--or is 167 plenty? Plan to use for loosening only. Thanks again.

I use the 1/4 drive M18 impact driver for most things with 3/8 drive sockets. If I can't crack something with it, I'll use a wrench.

I also have the smaller 1/2 drive M18 impact. I rarely use it for anything other than wheel nuts, but know its available if I need to crack something that's critical that the 1/4 drive can't manage

Smallest one delivers 167 ft-lbs (and has 4-pole motor), vs larger one at 210. Is that a practical difference in your opinion--or is 167 plenty? Plan to use for loosening only. Thanks again.

Do they give a rating on the impact force? Joules?
I can't remember if Milwaukee publishes this?
The impact force is more relevant than motor torque IMO

Do they give a rating on the impact force? Joules?
I can't remember if Milwaukee publishes this?
The impact force is more relevant than motor torque IMO
Torque, impacts per minute, max rpm is all I'm seeing, though the company can probably answer the Q.

I've been using the M12 FUEL 1/4" impact driver for a few years, works very well for 90% of the fasteners including the screws for the oil pump cover, either removing them using a bit or using an Easy Out if the heads are stripped. I also have their M12 Ratchet which comes in handy when removing/installing bolts. For big stuff I have a larger
cordless impact (IR).

There's apparently a newer version of the M12 compact impact driver, the M12 FUEL SURGE.

I've been using the M12 FUEL 1/4" impact driver for a few years, works very well for 90% of the fasteners including the screws for the oil pump cover, either removing them using a bit or using an Easy Out if the heads are stripped. I also have their M12 Ratchet which comes in handy when removing/installing bolts. For big stuff I have a larger
cordless impact (IR).

There's apparently a newer version of the M12 compact impact driver, the M12 FUEL SURGE.

[/URL]

Now that definitely looks like a nice bit of kit!
I have M18 stuff because I'm in construction.
I like everything in my cordless kit to be compatible, but I reckon that could be a great addition at home.

M-18 1/4 drive for most things. I like the weight and the speed. Still need to break things loose first. I have a nice collection of extensions with ball swivel's. Those help a bunch.

Just today used the M12 for a few 12mm bolts on the firewall, zzippp and out.
Main advantage is the compact size and light weight. I pull out the larger impact for things like suspension/brake/wheel/front axle bolts.

M18‘s here, stubby 3/8 for smaller work and the 1/2 drive on the big stuff.

Wow, thanks for all the feedback! I'm leaning toward a 1/4 compact and a 1/2. I gather that combo should handle everything?

Wow, thanks for all the feedback! I'm leaning toward a 1/4 compact and a 1/2. I gather that combo should handle everything?

I bought the M18 half drive first, I was doing the clutch on my 40 and couldn’t break the nuts on the back bearing caps to replace the rear main. Air impact to no avail, M18 was an instant success. it came with two batteries so later that year I let Santa bring the 3/8 drive Stubby, tool only since I had batteries. Great tools, period.

Don’t use the top setting to make anything up, use your hands and a torque wrench. I was installing wheels on the 40 after replacing spring bushings ... hot and tired and with a couple of “it’s done” beers in me and sheered off a wheel stud. That cost me another half day to tear the rear axle down to fix.

I've gotten lots of use out of my IR impact ratchet (2025 max) Ingersoll Rand 2025MAX Air Impact Hammerhead Tool Low Profile 1/2" Drive

It has made all of my engine repairs (water pump, AC compressor, fuel filter, alternator, etc) go so much easier when combined with some wobble sockets. It is in no way strong enough to break the crank pulley loose, but will get almost everything else off with little fuss. And its impact as opposed to a ratchet, so when the bolt is fully tight, it wont torque around and smash your knuckles.

These 2, we don't use no stinking air tools anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom