CM07 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glad you are coming Michael! I think you'll love Kane Creek. We had a bone stock FJC on Kanes last year. Street tires too. The driver had some experience though but not a lot. The truck did quite well and, with a little rock stacking, he got up the waterfall coming out of the canyon without a strap.

Don't be shy about asking for a spot on that ledge road leading out of the canyon. It has some tough areas and a pretty steep drop on the left.

Make your reservations at Slick Rock if you are camping. That is where the headquarters will be.

-Mike-

I'm not sure I will be camping... that would require me to purchase some camping gear.... that is money I would rather spend on Cruiser upgrades!!!

Well... camping does sound like fun. Are all you guys camping at the headquarters?

Last edited:
My wife and I are staying at a "Kabin" at the KOA. I think Steve & Wendy are also staying there. The "Kabin" is just a small building with bunkbeds and a swamp cooler. Nothing fancy, but it's fine.

I will have to give them a call later today and see if I can get one reserved as well. That would be about as close to camping as I'm going to get my wife for now. I'm still working on getting her more "in touch" with nature.

Michael,

There are a lot of mid-priced motels in Moab. Super-8, Holiday Inn Express, and things like that. The KOA may be a bit primitive if she is expecting a room with a private bath/shower, carpet, pool, continental breakfast, ...

-Mike-

Michael -

Just FYI, you mentioned calling the KOA. They are actually closed for the winter and do not re-open until March 1st. However, you can still go to the website to book a "kabin" or a camping spot (www.koa.com and access the Moab location from there).

As Mike mentioned, there are plenty of hotels in town as well. I think there's a link to Moab lodging from the CM07 website.

The KOA is primitive, but one step up from camping. The Kabins are really just a very small building with bunkbeds and heater/evaporative cooling. They have a porch with a swing and a picnic table. Bathrooms are in a separate building, but close by. They have 6 bathrooms in each of the facilities buildings. Each bathroom has a sink, shower, and toilet. I stayed there lst year and it was fine. Last year, we were very close to the CM07 headquarters campground (on the south side of town). But they have moved the HQ back to the Slickrock Campground on the north side of town, so the KOA is not as convenient to the HQ as it was last year.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have questions and you'll get some advice. A lot of these guys know Moab and lodging options much better than I do.

Evan

Michael,

There are a lot of mid-priced motels in Moab. Super-8, Holiday Inn Express, and things like that.

-Mike-

[soap box on]
This is just me. I've been going to Moab since the late 1970's. I remember the small town charm, and the Main Street Broiler that now sits under the Burger King, put out of business by the Micky-D's across the street. I realize that Moab is growing. I realize that the chain restaurants and motels have become an evil necessity. But, that doesn't mean I'm going to give them my money. Personally, I'll stay and eat elsewhere, even if it cost more.
[soap box off].

Jon

[soap box on]I'll stay and eat elsewhere, even if it cost more.
[soap box off].

Says the guy that we caught eating breakfast 2 days in a row at the Ramada Inn 'cause there was a cutie waitress that was flirting with him.

Never knew Jon to be a big tipper till that morning. :grinpimp:
-Mike-

Says the guy that we caught eating breakfast 2 days in a row at the Ramada Inn 'cause there was a cutie waitress that was flirting with him.

Never knew Jon to be a big tipper till that morning. :grinpimp:
-Mike-

Mike, I don't see a problem here, though I don't remember her flirting (I wish). Where do you think I'll have my first breakfast? I mean, she even had you and Fish looking as I recall ... she was exceptional. :D Besides the Golden Spike has been there forever. I'll grand-father them in.

Jon

... she was exceptional. :D I'll grand-father them in.

So there you have it Michael. It's OK to stay or eat anywhere in Moab where they hire cute girls that like to flirt for tips from old farts. :D

-Mike-

Here's my registration:
And we'll probably book at the Apache Motel again, we were quite happy with that place last year.

Trail Information
Thursday 1: Steel Bender
Thursday 2: Cliff Hanger
Thursday 3: Kane Creek Canyon
Friday 1: Hells Revenge
Friday 2:Kane Creek Canyon
Friday 3:Cliff Hanger
Saturday 1: Cliff Hanger
Saturday 2: Steel Bender
Saturday 3: Hells Revenge

... cute girls ...
-Mike-

Hey, I'd bring my own, but I'm not having much luck. Until then, I'll look all I want and not have to worry about elbows in the ribs or getting kicked from under the table.

Jon

4 wheelin' in Moab and getting served by pretty ladies.... what more could any guy ask for? Hmm... I sure hope my wife doesn't read these threads when I'm not around :D

The KOA is on the other side of town from slickrock about 10 miles.

Slickrock does have a few cabins as well.

Me I bring my popup. You could rent one and then you will have electricity, a kitchen, frig and running water.

Hey Romer!

We may bring our Baja! We're staying at the KOA.

Cya there,

Steve

I love my Baja.

You guys at the KOA will be missing out on one of the better parts of Moab. Socializing after the runs and stumpling back to your camper. You will have a long drive between slickrock and KOA going through town.

People who stayed at the KOA made that comment last year even though we were across the street at Spanish Trails

You guys at the KOA will be missing out on one of the better parts of Moab. Socializing after the runs and stumpling back to your camper.

Agreed. CM is a lot more than ~10 hours worth of trail runs over a 3 day period, that's just the tip of the iceburg.

Slick Rock Traction does not work that great....

...on vertical surfaces. Especially vertical surfaces 500 feet high.

Puerco rock is soft sandstone. traction is good, but isnt great. Moab traction is GREAT! same look to the rock, but no crumbling. you can do stuff that is steeper than puerco without slipping a tire. most stuff that steep is optional or on a 4+ trail, so as Greg said, do 4's or less and you'll be fine.

I finally got my registration confirmation from Rising Sun. Sounds like they won't be handing out trail assignments till the end of the month... unless any of you have inside connections. I'm so stoked!!! And I think my mother in law is flying in to babysit Ashley so my wife and I can enjoy Moab together!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom