Events/Trails Club Tech Day: 19 October 0900 at OTRAMM's shop Bealton, VA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.capitallandcruiserclub.org
The next Club Tech day will be @OTRAMM in Bealton, Va on 19 October 2019, beginning around 0900.
  1. This tech day is aimed at checking trucks out and addressing safety and mechanical issues prior to Fall Crawl.
  2. I think we can also do a safety pre-check to ensure those trucks planning to wheel at FC can pass the safety inspection, so bring your radios, recovery and safety gear.
  3. If you have a Baofeng handheld radio, we can program them with the club and other important channels.
  4. We will also be stuffing welcome bags with swag for FC.
  5. I think we should order pizza for lunch
  6. BYOBeverages and expect to share :hillbilly:
See you there!

Last edited:
The baofeng radios are currently unavailable from Amazon. I'm hoping I can borrow one from the club.

I can't make the tech day , wish i could, but I'll see you at the cove as long as I can get my y pipe fixed . If I'm lucky I'll get my sliders installed too.

Bill's Muffler in Harrisonburg likely can repair your y-pipe...they did my 80 several years ago. They also do great custom muffler work for a very reasonable price.

Never mind the spelling errors. This is the checklist we will use to inspect vehicles:

1570542862446.png

The baofeng radios are currently unavailable from Amazon. I'm hoping I can borrow one from the club.

I can't make the tech day , wish i could, but I'll see you at the cove as long as I can get my y pipe fixed . If I'm lucky I'll get my sliders installed too.
Baofeng radios will not be available from Amazon... at least not until they restrict the frequencies of the units. The ban went into effect on 30 September, from what I understand.

Baofeng radios will not be available from Amazon... at least not until they restrict the frequencies of the units. The ban went into effect on 30 September, from what I understand.
The Baofeng radios and other imported radios violated the FCC rules & regs from day one. It took the gov't this long to react. Surprised?
It looks like the Baofeng radios are still available on ebay. I guess ebay isn't... wait for it... tuned in :rofl: to the FCC's enforcement of the rules.

That's not the one that was linked to in the fall crawl thread but if it's good enough I'll get one.

What's different about this one that makes it legal?

It is not legal. If the operator can enter a frequency via the front panel into any radio and transmit outside of the Amateur Radio (Ham) bands, the radio violates the FCC rules.
People get these radios, program a random frequency because they are clueless, and then transmit on public safety, gov't, business, utility, etc. frequencies. I listened to a group of tourists planning their visits to the Smithsonian Museums on a federal law enforcement frequency.

That's not the one that was linked to in the fall crawl thread but if it's good enough I'll get one.

There will be plenty of radios you can barrow for fall crawl. I would wait until the legal version come out if they come out.

There will be plenty of radios you can barrow for fall crawl. I would wait until the legal version come out if they come out.
Yeah but getting it just because it's illegal is so much more fun.

I’m with you on that. Just didn’t want to push peaple to do the illegal thing. I have 3 and I’m not giving them up.

My first post was buy the bofang and download the clubs Chirp file and use it. But I’m trying not to ruffle feathers. And it’s really really hard!

It is not illegal to sell or buy those radios. I have two of them. It is illegal to use the radio incorrectly. The marketing on the web sites implies that the radios can be used across the entire VHF and/or UHF bands, so people just use any frequency they want to. Consequently, there has been a significant increase in interference to public safety radio communications systems since these radios became available. These interference occurrences are reported to the FCC. Because of all the interference reports the FCC had to take action to resolve the problem.
Buy the radio, not a problem. Just use it appropriately. Don’t use some random frequency that, OBTW, just so happens to be an FBI surveillance frequency. Yes, it has happened.

One more thought and then I will shut up.
While most of the interference cases are because of the clueless, "I just wanted to talk to my kids and I just used my address for the frequency"

Some are malicious:
- The radio is intentionally programmed to the local police frequency so the malicious operator can share his thoughts with the cops.
- The radio is intentionally programmed to an operational frequency so the malicious operator can create havoc, "train 123 you are cleared to leave the station"
- The radio is programmed to an operational frequency and then the operator transmits to intentionally interrupt/disrupt/interfere with comms creating a denial of service situation.

I have seen them all. Yet again, the few ruining it for the many.

If we can give a shot at my rear springs on tech day that would be awesome. I am still hoping the parts arrive in time to make it happen. Also my parking brake needs some lovin but that is the least of my worries.

Start hosing the spring bolts and bushings with FreeAll or Kroil. The front spring pin is usually a b!tch to remove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom