Clarification on Toyota Coolant [Pink and Red] (2021) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lp2k

Had a couple of drinks.. saw a couple of things
Threads
Closed: Pink is not the same as Red. If you do choose to go with Red, make sure you know how to mix it properly, account for the distilled water still inside the cooling system from the repeat flush and then. Red is a premium option as the green is cheaper and much more common option. I am going with red since its done me 27 years of service.

Here is a pic of me doing my calculations for how much water/coolant and measuring how much distilled water is still in the system:
math.gif

Hey y’all so I’m here going through my cooking cooling system and doing some base line. I have been flushing it out with distilled water (on flush #3) and I need someone to just give me a quick sanity check. I was able to get the Toyota red (undiluted) which I plan to mix myself. I calculate how much distilled water remains in the system once I drain but the question is on the coolant itself. I have this 50/50 which I was told is Toyota red but it says pink on the bottle. I really don’t trust the order takers at the parts counter. (Remember the Toyota service technician that told me the factory lockers were “after market”🤯)

can someone confirm I’m good with using this and the “pink” is really Toyota red and turned pink with the 50% water plus 50% Toyota red?
Thanks y’all

60A9D798-A9A2-4752-8C91-917A5CB34FEE.jpeg

400FBF43-4F92-4433-B8CB-751133CFC427.jpeg

56C4BFDB-3D61-411C-B9B1-1A56A25ADAD9.jpeg

A72258E5-DF0D-448A-9711-401B2460D9F7.jpeg

Last edited:
Subscribed. I am honestly not sure. Thinking through the fleet: GX470 takes pink. 100 series and 80 series takes red. LS400 takes? Pink? I always wondered why the Lexus version of the Land Cruiser was deemed to wear pink panties. I guess its the antifreeze. Not sure.

Well, given you have done a great flushing job of your "cooking" system :lol: ... I'd return the stupid red/pink overpriced stuff and go green. I did that a while back when I R&R the leaking radiator in our 80 for the 2nd time in its life.

You can find green stuff everywhere for cheap. Do you think in the rest of the world, including 3rd world countries like australia, that the folk there don't switch to green asap?

Or do you fill your petrol tank with toyota petrol, or sump with toyota oil or....

Anyhow, do the switch now and you'll never be dealing with is it red, is it pink is it...

cheers,
george.

Well, given you have done a great flushing job of your "cooking" system :lol: ... I'd return the stupid red/pink overpriced stuff and go green. I did that a while back when I R&R the leaking radiator in our 80 for the 2nd time in its life.

You can find green stuff everywhere for cheap. Do you think in the rest of the world, including 3rd world countries like australia, that the folk there don't switch to green asap?

Or do you fill your petrol tank with toyota petrol, or sump with toyota oil or....

Anyhow, do the switch now and you'll never be dealing with is it red, is it pink is it...

cheers,
george.
Thanks George, the issue with the green coolant I have is I’ve read it contains certain additives which are not compatible with the rubber gaskets in the found in the Toyota cooling system. I’m fine with debunking this and settling it.

rather stay on this course, I’m fine with the few dollars more, may be helpful for the small group of 80 owners who are in this same boat

Just stick with the red, I wouldnt mess around with the pink. Also being in Florida where you most likley don't see extremely cold temps you might consider going with a 60/40 or 70/30 mix. More water will give you more cooling.

Please do you search and there are many threads cover this in details. For what I can remember. the Toyota long life read (Part#: 00272-1LLAC) is the OE coolant for these rigs. That's the one I have been using for the past 20+ years with peace of mind. Unlike the pink coolant that Toyota switched for later model, they did recommend to replace the red coolant every few years.

Please do you search and there are many threads cover this in details. For what I can remember. the Toyota long life read (Part#: 00272-1LLAC) is the OE coolant for these rigs. That's the one I have been using for the past 20+ years with peace of mind. Unlike the pink coolant that Toyota switched for later model, they did recommend to replace the red coolant every few years.

I did my search, and couldn’t find anything to answer this question. If you have a link or 2 and don’t mind posting it for me, I would appreciate it. More help and knowledge, the better we all can be in this forum. Thanks

I could be wrong, but I think coolant is "shooter preference". I've owned my LC about 5 years now, and always used pink. My LC been in the mountains of Tajikistan, the flat plains of Kansas, and now the humidity of North Carolina. My engine temps are usually 185°- 190°.

Thanks George, the issue with the green coolant I have is I’ve read it contains certain additives which are not compatible with the rubber gaskets in the found in the Toyota cooling system. I’m fine with debunking this and settling it.

rather stay on this course, I’m fine with the few dollars more, may be helpful for the small group of 80 owners who are in this same boat

Cackle cackle... Special toyota rubber gaskets.... Nope...

Anyhow, I ran red for many years (original owner of our 80). All that is special is the cost/availability.

cheers,
george.

94 and it’s all original with 153k miles. I don’t if it’s a blessing or a curse tbh.. I’m thinking its the original radiator (brass core)

Napa has an Asian red that i used in two previous Toyotas. I want to say it had the same language as to what the Toyota red had. I have to non duluted toyota red so that's what I use now. As far as availability arguements. They don't apply to me since i think distilled water is more available than all the antifreeze types together and i would only care a little if it was cold enought to freeze. Now am kinda behind the times though as i didn't even know Australia became a third world country so maybe don't listen to me.

94 and it’s all original with 153k miles. I don’t if it’s a blessing or a curse tbh.. I’m thinking its the original radiator (brass core)

lp2k, I also own a 94, and just replaced my original factory radiator with a brand new factory Toyota brass radiator. When i did this switch i did a complete flush with distilled water, and then filled it up with Prestone green.​

My original 27 year old radiator wasn't having any problems, but with that kind of age on it's plastic tanks, i felt it was best to retire it, and install a new one. One thing you should think about adding to your truck would be a good temp gauge.

I just installed one, and man am i glad i did. The factory gauge in these trucks are in a word, worthless. I've watched my new gauge read anywhere between 180 degrees, up to 207 degrees, and the needle on the factory gauge never even moved. So by the time your factory gauge has moved to show the water temp is hot, your motor may be COOKED!

Below I've linked to a thread and web site you may find helpful.

lp2k, I also own a 94, and just replaced my original factory radiator with a brand new factory Toyota brass radiator. When i did this switch i did a complete flush with distilled water, and then filled it up with Prestone green.​

My original 27 year old radiator wasn't having any problems, but with that kind of age on it's plastic tanks, i felt it was best to retire it, and install a new one. One thing you should think about adding to your truck would be a good temp gauge.

I just installed one, and man am i glad i did. The factory gauge in these trucks are in a word, worthless. I've watched my new gauge read anywhere between 180 degrees, up to 207 degrees, and the needle on the factory gauge never even moved. So by the time your factory gauge has moved to show the water temp is hot, your motor may be COOKED!

Below I've linked to a thread and web site you may find helpful.

Yes you have me thinking, I’ll maybe plan for a new radiator the same time I get the blue fan from Rick. I got a lot going on with the rig so I need to pick and choose the battles

Yes you have me thinking, I’ll maybe plan for a new radiator the same time I get the blue fan from Rick. I got a lot going on with the rig so I need to pick and choose the battles
If you're planing on going with a factory radiator i wouldn't wait to long to make up your mind. As each day goes by we hear of more and more important parts becoming NLA for our trucks. So It's anybodys guess how long it'll be before that factory radiator becomes NLA. If it were me, I'd buy it now while you can still get one.

@Rifleman do you have that part number handy?
Here is the part number for the complete radiator 16400-66040. Just as an FYI, when i checked this web site for the radiator part number it showed that the plastic upper and lower radiator tanks are now NLA.

Along with the tanks being NLA from Toyota, it also showed that the upper and lower tank O rings are now NLA. It also showed that a new replacement radiator core is now NLA too.

Based on this information you may not want to wait to long before deciding if you want to buy that new factory radiator now, or spin the dice and wait.

Thanks y’all - I’ll prob order the radiator and sand bag it then. I got a 1/4 and some extra new gas hose to catch and measure what is coming out. I’m on flush #4. That $13 drain cock replacement from wits end is perfect.

not using any chemicals, just regular old distilled water

795687B3-B40B-421A-99B1-9F2C5041D285.jpeg

27248CBD-095E-4F89-8FB1-1D42A953749C.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom