Builds "Chunk+12ht" version 2.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This truck is really going to be something nice

I sure hope so. After selling Patina Louise the red 60 I didn't really know what to replace her with until the 12h-t came along. I love HJ-61's so I'm hoping to make the version I'd want to have.

Looks like you got it. Interesting mod.
20181224_110158.jpg

The guys in that thread talk about it being smoother on corrugated roads. Makes sense. Seems like good shocks are a way better solution though.

Last edited:
Another round of smoky seam sealer removal. I'm so happy with how well this works. After the flap wheel, a good running over with a wire brush attachment makes the drip rail nice and clean.
VideoCapture_20181224-162030.jpg
VideoCapture_20181224-162055.jpg
20181224_155657.jpg

After that I sanded more and prepped more. Enjoyed getting a couple hours on Chunk. Now time to clean up and have a fun evening with my family!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Work progresses, not as fast as I'd like, but it is what it is. Got the right side primed tonight. It is by far the worst so good to knock it out first. I see lots I like laying down primer and a few things I don't but hopefully they aren't too tough to remedy. Hopefully the weekend/holiday affords some more hours on the truck.
20181229_223806.jpg
20181229_223700.jpg
20181229_223035.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking at the designs Adam Tolman aka @Box Rocket has done for some mud members and the sweet concept he did for @ddelong6767 for his Mountain Goat 60 build and got in touch about doing a picture of what I have in mind for Chunk.

I am thinking HJ61 stripes but in blue on the white truck. I love the fj40 color "Cadet Blue" and I have a shop local to me lined up to do the stripes in a vinyl wrap using Cadet Blue with a darker metallic grey accent to match a similar powder coat job on fj40 style wheels with hub caps.

I probably didn't NEED to do this but it does a great job of proving my concept and most definitely giving motivation to get it done.

Many thanks to Adam for making it happen so quickly.

Bowfin60_Final2.jpg

Great color choice! Those stripes look very good.

Thanks. I love the orange ones too but I used to have a 65 mustang GT350R clone and I just loved that "Wimbledon White" with "Guardsman Blue " stripe paint scheme. Cadet blue is pretty close sans metallic and 033 white is pretty close too. Ever since that Mustang it has been my favorite color scheme.

Nice Pat. Love the primed look!!! Great progress. Retro stripes all the way baby! What wa the ambient temp when you hit primer?

Nice Pat. Love the primed look!!! Great progress. Retro stripes all the way baby! What wa the ambient temp when you hit primer?
I have my stat set at 63°. Seems warmer then that in there tho. I heat it with my amateur built (me) infloor radiant from my outside wood boiler.

Looks like you got it. Interesting mod.
View attachment 1861809
Nice! I'm not the only nut out there. But did they use genuine OEM Kia Rio junkyard rear coils? . I did this before I got my Tough Dog lift, seriously not a bad option to get back some height and add stiffness on the cheap!

Nice! I'm not the only nut out there. But did they use genuine OEM Kia Rio junkyard rear coils? . I did this before I got my Tough Dog lift, seriously not a bad option to get back some height and add stiffness on the cheap!

Kia is the official supplier to Mr T for the leaf sprung coil assist conversion kit anyway, right?

What actually kept the springs in place? Seems like it would be easy to spit out with just those short chunks of pipe on the axle.

What actually kept the springs in place? Seems like it would be easy to spit out with just those short chunks of pipe on the axle.
I heated up the bottom coil to take the temper out of it, bent it flat and welded it to the spring perch on the axle just outboard of where the U bolts go. I put probably 20k miles on it, and plenty of wheeling that way. It took my front end from riding 1/4" off the bumpstops to 2". I'll see if I can dig up any pictures from my old phone. I didn't have any pipe nubbins.

Bummer for me because my home shop is tiny but I brought the 12H-T home because work is so stupid busy that I have to make all the space I can there. Just have to make do. She makes a sweet foot stool. I think I'd rather sit and look at this than a TV anyway.
20190104_214620.jpg

Bummer for me because my home shop is tiny but I brought the 12H-T home because work is so stupid busy that I have to make all the space I can there. Just have to make do. She makes a sweet foot stool. I think I'd rather sit and look at this than a TV anyway.
View attachment 1870353

Coffee table....... I likey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom