Chit chat - built 80 AND a LX450 daily driver??! Silly or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tachedoutoffroad.com
Ok. So I have a nice-ish 80 on 315s that was a toy that has become my DD. It works out ok because my commute is short and the MPGs doesn’t really matter. Really like it.

I’d really like to build it more aka less DD friendly aka mods that take more than a few hours to complete aka need another something to drive around.

OPTIONS

1) I hate cars. Have never owned one ever. I drove my wife’s Subaru for a week trying to make it work, but just hate sitting low, not being to tow a trailer, no storage space, blahhhh a car.

2) went and drove two 100 series.... very nice .... still loving the 3rd row... was sold, but at the same time not so much. No soul? Well, not as much soul. Very very nice truck, but just a little too overboard for me. Can get expensive quick.

3) Tundra. Looking at CC Tundra’s and sequoias. Have had both in the past, nice trucks, less soul than a 100 series. Boring. Get expensive quick. Ummmmmm 4.7l......

4) Tacomas. People think they are made of platinum, plated in bitcoin, plated in gold. And too small. Been driving my sons 3rd gen 4runner and it is just a tin can compare to the Crusier.

5) smaller tires on 80, DD it, build a 60/55 toy? Hummmm. Tried it. 80 is the best overall rig. It just is. Does everything right.

6) clean, stock LX450.... get ANOTHER 80/450?? Sillyness?? Shenanigans!?!?

Hear me out... Get a nice one, no lockers, clean inside, old lady driven edition, know how to fix them, “cool”, good resale, fun trucks. No, still can’t tow for s***, but otherwise pretty solid.

Why can’t I get a $6000 LX as a DD AND have an 80 decked out on 37”s as a weekend toy? Is that dumb?

I don’t know what else I’d rather buy for $6k.

The current (and best) 80 I’ve had.

E3841AE2-004D-49A5-B716-972C8B9E2EA6.jpeg

Built 80 and bone stock LX for me, plus a 40. Wife is finishing up a mildly built LX to become her daily when she turns in her lease next spring. Combined, we only put on about 12k-13k a year, so fuel expense doesn't hurt too much when you consider that we paid cash for all 4 trucks and it's easier to spend money on things you want instead of things they need.

Tip: If you get a stock truck, immediately install new stock height springs or add spacers then buy a set of stock size Michelins. This should help you to resist escalating the "lift/tire size dilemma" for about 60k miles!

I have a friend in Denver who's wife was in an accident in their 1996 LC, totaled (all inside were safe). He now has a lightly built 100 series, but has always missed his older LC. He has been trying to buy my 80, but I'm not selling. So we've both been keeping an eye out for a clean lower mile 80 for him to use as a DD/fun driver.

In about 2 to 3 years of looking, clean low mile 80's are going up in price.....a lot! Maybe it's the rocky mountain market, maybe not. I just did a search for 1995-97 LC's nationwide on Autotrader, if I recall correctly, only about 25 returns. Most were close to 200k miles or over, and several were already modified.

Yes, go for a clean low mile (relative) LC/LX 80, they're just getting harder to find.

Get a GX470. Cheap, smallish profile, comfy, and 4.7 V8. Been a great compliment to my 80...
20180616_071215.jpg

The 470 grill area?... just don’t know about it.

The 100s I drove were nice. No doubt. The one I want is an 03+ and a $11k+ truck. I’d be happy with a $6k, no payment 450 truck.

I was just sitting in my driveway this morning, waiting for the wife to back out and I decided I'm going to sell the 95 Jeep GC and the 98 Chrysler T&C and get another 80. Needs to be 95 or 96 and the LC, not the LX (I live in the Midwest and the extra body cladding holds salt)

Get rid of two old rusty Dodge products and gain one Toyota that will only go up in value and be WAY more reliable. And it can carry a wheelchair lift.

I only partially relate to this thread because I actually enjoy driving small cars, but...

Seems like if the only vehicle you like driving is an 80 and you don't want to DD a built one, then a stock one is the only logical conclusion. No harm in having two as long as you've got a place to park them, and you're not concerned about gas money or carbon footprint :hillbilly: If I had the storage and the money, I would probably have at least two cruisers (80 and 60), a mini truck, a van and a couple cars.

If, as you say, your commute is short, you could also just DD the built-up one and save on insurance. :meh:

Get the 2nd 80!

I have a few cruisers in the driveway..more is mo betta!
  1. A very built 97 80 (37's, Slinky, Cummins, RTT, drawers, etc.) This is the primary camping rig.
  2. A stockish super charged 97 LX450. This will be the daily driver soon....trying to resist a light build.
  3. An 82 BJ42. This is just for fun and cruising around town.
  4. A '17 4Runner Limited. This is the wife's daily.

I only partially relate to this thread because I actually enjoy driving small cars, but...

It's like small cars and big women....... No one likes them but I always find myself in'em! :meh:

FIFY.....

Waiting on one more thing and going to send him a deposit.

Lots of good points being made.

Mama has a 2018 Subaru for true reliability/ warranty. I figure between my two 24 year old trucks I can make it whenever I need to be :)

Freeing up one at a time for tinkering and have a DD I like is the main idea.
I don’t spend $ on anything else besides old Toyotas anyway.

My buddy just paid $5500 for a 95.5 Tacoma with 280k and another paid $3k for a rusty ‘84 4Runner with no AC and bald 31”s.

Have $6k in a “nice” old truck isn’t bad I don’t think.

I bought my DD LC CHEAP, then threw about $6K at it to make it a DD.

I would love to repeat that and have another that is as reliable as the one I have. The value won't go down as long as I maintain it and keep it from rusting to nothingness.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom