Child Restraint Anchors (car seats) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After reading one of the other posts, I'm worried that I am not using the right child restraint anchors :(

I have been using the two 'hooks' behind the 2nd row seats that are the same as the cargo anchors close to the rear tailgate. Are these correct, or do these unbolt and get replaced with a different locking mechanism (ie a 'closed' one like I have in my Jetta, had in Saab, etc). If I'm using the wrong thing, where do I get the correct part - universal from some 'baby store', from dealer,...

Help?

Cheers, Hugh

I didn't think 97s had them yet in trucks. I thought they didn't come in trucks until like 2000 or 2001 models. I use the seat belt and I bought and automatic tensioner. It is a roller that cinches down the seat belt tight and then it no longer uses the auto retract on the LC seat belt.

Gineric,
You have your seat in the middle or on a side? Maybe it depends on the seat design as mine is still for a 2 year old, but I don't have anything for restraints related to that seat. The middle lap belt goes through the seat then reattaches to the other side. No anchors are in the back. If the seat was not made out of plastic, I'd make something to secure it with.

[quote author=ginericfj80 link=board=2;threadid=9743;start=msg85669#msg85669 date=1073423860]
I didn't think 97s had them yet in trucks. I thought they didn't come in trucks until like 2000 or 2001 models.[/quote]

Interesting. I guess that's why they need to be added on import to Canada. Our car seat are (and have been for some time - my 1996 Jetta has them) required to have child restraint anchors that act as a teather from the rear of the seat to a solid attachment point in the rear (in addition to the seat belt holding the seat in place as well).

As it stands, my teathers run through the cargo barrier to the hooks in the back - but I think I may need to look at replacing the mounting point...anyone with a Canadian LX450 that can tell me what's in the back?

Cheers, Hugh

I have the car seats mounted both in the middle and on the side. In the 94 it is in the middle, in the 91 it is behind the DS seat. Really they should both be in the middle for the best safety. I use the seat belt cinch when I use the outer shoulder belts. It can also be used for cinching the center belt. I've found that if I kneel on the seat when mounting it in the center I can cinch the center belt plenty tight by hand without using the seat belt cinch.

Cars were required to have the Latch system earlier than trucks in the US, I think? Down here that is what they call the tethers that go to the built in hooks in the newer cars and trucks. I have know clue as to what they did for the Canadian spec'd rigs and I would never speculate on it either.

I wish they would make car seats out of steel so they could be bolted to the floor or to an internal roll cage. I saw a really really cool cage a guy built for a Heep that covered a child jump seat. It was pretty neat. It kept the kids hands in the vehicle and I suppose if he'd roll it would protect them too.

Eric, where did you get the cinch mechanism?

[quote author=ginericfj80 link=board=2;threadid=9743;start=msg85740#msg85740 date=1073427448]
I have the car seats mounted both in the middle and on the side. In the 94 it is in the middle, in the 91 it is behind the DS seat. Really they should both be in the middle for the best safety...I wish they would make car seats out of steel so they could be bolted to the floor or to an internal roll cage...[/quote]

Well, I currently have two, and soon to be 3, so we use all the spaces :D. Some of the more 'progressive' car companies do have systems built in that specially designed seats clip into vs using seat belts and teather straps.

Cheers, Hugh

A 97 (either 80 or LX) does not have LATCH anchors. I don't think Cruisers were LATCH compliant until 00 or 01. I used the middle seat belt. The base for the car seat we have has long enough LATCH tethers that I can also connect them to the cargo tie downs in the rear. But the seat belt is the primary restraint.

Eric,

I'm also interested in the cinch device you have. Details?

Hugh - I have two car seats and they're mounted at each side of the 2nd row. For the upper tether (I'm assuming this is your question), I use the 3rd row seat mount in the floor rather than the cargo hook. I think the seat mount is sturdier and will better handle collision level force. In addition, it's farther rearward vs straight down, and more in line with the child seat's center vs offset outboard. This mount is simply about an inch long rod of steel and is where the 3rd row clamps to the floor.

As for clamping the Cruiser's seatbelts on the child seats, we bought German made Britax seats and they have a very clever design to address getting the seatbelt tight. The entire seat opens like a clam, then you attach the shoulder/lab belt as normal. Several finger like projections are now just above the belt. Then, the shoulder belt is captured with a clever friction clamp and you pull the belt tight. Now comes the extremely clever part. As you close the seat up for use (this process took about 15 seconds, BTW), the projections push down on the belt with so much force that the seat is pressed downward into the upholstery far better than you can manage with a knee. When it locks shut, the seat belt has been pulled tight and locked in place and you cannot even budge the seat. Great design and worth the effort it took to find these seats. The downside is that they weigh around 40lbs due to their extremely heavy construction, but we don't often move them from car to car.

DougM

Doug,

Care to share where you get those Britax seats ?

Frank.

Frank,

Check out Britaxusa.com for their models. Ours is a King Elite and now 18 months old so not in the model line. We live in a rural area and there are no retailers in our area, so we get ours from a retailer in Naples, FL whose name escapes me at the moment. We found them while on vacation 2 years ago, and they're now our "supplier". They sell them for less than retail (these are not cheap), and ship them reasonably. If you decide to buy, recontact me and I'll dig out the retailer's name.

What I really like is the guy who designs the seats is the former Director of Safety for Mercedes-Benz. You can see this in the construction of the seats.

Cheers,

DougM

[quote author=CDN_Cruiser link=board=2;threadid=9743;start=msg85770#msg85770 date=1073430096]
Some of the more 'progressive' car companies do have systems built in that specially designed seats clip into vs using seat belts and teather straps.

Cheers, Hugh
[/quote]

Hugh,

I think it's called "ISOFIX" or something close to that. IIRC, it came standard on vehicles newer than 2002. But as usual, I could be wrong.

Britax sounds like a winner though.

mot

Frank,
Doug and others posted some good info on these seats. Advanced search in the archives using "Britax" and see what you come up with. I don't think you'll find anything on the SOR archives though.
-B-

I should be picking up my son's Britax Husky any day now.

We have been using an Advantage for some time now with wonderful results.

The Advantage does rear facing from 5 pounds and forward facing to 40 pounds.

The Husky (it is BIG) goes to 80 pounds forward facing....that is right....80 pounds, 5 point harness...will serve the boys till they don't need anything anymore.

Now...to the point...

I usually anchor the tethers to the third row seat latch points in the rear vs. using the cargo anchors...

I don't think you should use the cargo anchor as they have a slot that under crash conditions could allow any slack in the tether to allow a release from the anchor. I would suggest you use the mounting points in the center of the cargo area that are for the third row seats....that is what we use.

Other than that...get those belts TIGHT!!!!

Dan,

That's the exact seat I'd get if my kids were too big for these. I'm one of those obsessive types that on a slow day actually research this stuff. When you get yours, I'll be very interested in your impression of the Husky. One shortcoming typical of all safety seat makers is a lack of pictures of their restraint system - they all want them to look pretty and comfy and don't show the straps and such. I'm really hoping it uses the excellent clamping finger system I described above. As far as I could tell, this is the only forward facing 5 point harness rated up to 80 pounds. I really like the 5 point harness and hope to delay the kids using an adult-oriented 3 point seatbelt as long as possible.

Forgot about the slot in the rear cargo tiedowns - a definite no no for restraint. Now that I think of it, it's really not a good idea for cargo tiedowns, either - though they are quite thick rod. The tiedowns I retrofitted into the Subaru are welded loops.

DougM

Man, you guys make me feel bad...My daughter have been tipped over on her Graco pos a few times, luckily there's always someone in the rear when this happened.

Doug,
I've checked the website - they have plenty of retailers around here in the Bay Area. Thanks for your kind offer! :). On a side note, is the King Elite comparable to the current Marathon model or the Runabout one ?

Cheers,
Frank.

I'm not sure as they're both with my wife in Michigan at the moment. I had to return from vacation a few days before they do. Specs-wise I think they're closer to the Marathon for their weight classification. I wish they were a little better at showing attachment details - maybe I should order a catalog.

Be advised these are beasts. Completely counter to the "convenient for the housewife to move around with a smile with high heels" designs of others, these are "call your husband to move them from vehicle to vehicle beef". Like all of you, I have no problem being minorly inconvenienced in the interest of safety. Just don't call me and complain about your hernia...

DougM

Thanks for all the great info. Now safety stuff like this I don't mind reading every day. 35" tires on a stock truck is a little different though.

Boy a steel child seat would be cool though.

Boy, this is a topic I never thought I'd see.

We just moved up to the Britax. I can't say enough good about it. It's a chunk of change, but it's worth it (and so is your kid). If you're a cheap ass like me, if you have a USA Baby store near you, they will price match any price. I printed off a price from the net and got it for what they said was $10 below their cost.

And it's huge. I can't wait until the monkey is a year old and can face forward.

Doug and others:

Thanks for the info - I agree that the 3rd row seat points would be great, but I currently have a drawer unit on one side (as well as a ton of gear that usually covers these pieces :-\

I'll have a look and see if the side anchor points for the 3rd row seats (under the rear side windows) could be utilized. Alternatively, I may look into at leat replacing the open-ended cargo loop with something closed or custom fabbing something that can handle a 'real child restraint' and welding in a backing plate.

Doug - the seats you mention sound great - I'll have a look for #3. Our challenge is trying to fit three seats in the 2nd row - a bit of a tight squeeze!

PS - All you fathers out there - go buy a cargo barrier - I was petrified driving my truck, even with gear tied down with ratchet straps, until I installed this. Very cheap insurance, especially for those of you in the US - I had to pay some big $$ to import the thing.

Cheers, Hugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom