Cheapest Carplay and AndroidAuto Retrofit under $300? 2016-2021 LX570 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yup, one of the other members tried it on an LC200 and it did not work. This exact unit only works on the 2016-2021 LX570, it's made to work with the Lexus system. The Amazon listing also says it works on other Lexus models like the RX, NX, ES, UX, LS, RC, LC, and GS.
well then I'll have to go for another option :-/
A colleague with exactly the same car as mine praised the Beat Sonic module. Flawless operation with iphone.

well then I'll have to go for another option :-/
A colleague with exactly the same car as mine praised the Beat Sonic module. Flawless operation with iphone.
This is the one for the 2016-2021 LC200 Land Cruiser. If I had one I'd buy it and make y'all a video :) Worth a shot though. https://amzn.to/3THALVB

I ordered whatever Chinese trash was cheapest on blackfriday that didn't need an aux input (BT overlay).

I just installed this including the joystick relay and this s*** is still controlling factory interface while inside CarPlay.
Anyone having the same issue? im on dip setting 0110000 and video is fine, no overscan / under scan or flickering.
The issue is strictly with the joystick and controls.

I ordered whatever Chinese trash was cheapest on blackfriday that didn't need an aux input (BT overlay).

I just installed this including the joystick relay and this s*** is still controlling factory interface while inside CarPlay.
Anyone having the same issue? im on dip setting 0110000 and video is fine, no overscan / under scan or flickering.
The issue is strictly with the joystick and controls.
Normal operation, if you can believe it. It's never ever gotten in my way, though.

Normal operation, if you can believe it. It's never ever gotten in my way, though.

Please tell me you are joking?

The "instructions" actually specifically require to install the joystick cable in the event that happens as a whole solution.

You're telling me you did this as well?

Please tell me you are joking?

The "instructions" actually specifically require to install the joystick cable in the event that happens as a whole solution.

You're telling me you did this as well?
Nope, and I did install the joystick cable.

Nope, and I did install the joystick cable.

The "support" now needs to reach out to the "technicians" and they are you guessed it, nowhere near a wester hemisphere time zone!!!

@NKP Garage I have the exact set in your video from a different "company".

You sure you are not turning your ac on and off while in CarPlay? Can you clarify wether you did or did not install the (#E recover can) jumper into (#A old car)?
Im going to try to leave that loose and see where that gets me.

I can't believe once again, I tore my truck apart for something like this. I am soooo done.

@sdwaltz thank you, you are so much more helpful than the actual people I bought it from (carlinklife) AVOID!!!!
What did you end up doing? Just ignoring whatever collateral damage is occurring underneath?

Also does your joystick actually navigate correctly? It is sticking to what feels like Lexus OEM UI elements, and will really only navigate the CP unit interface with hard edge boundary pushes of the knob, like past where it stops, there's a mm or two of extra movement that registers as the direction correctly.

@NKP Garage I have the exact set in your video from a different "company".

You sure you are not turning your ac on and off while in CarPlay? Can you clarify wether you did or did not install the (#E recover can) jumper into (#A old car)?
Im going to try to leave that loose and see where that gets me.

I can't believe once again, I tore my truck apart for something like this. I am soooo done.

@sdwaltz thank you, you are so much more helpful than the actual people I bought it from (carlinklife) AVOID!!!!
What did you end up doing? Just ignoring whatever collateral damage is occurring underneath?

Also does your joystick actually navigate correctly? It is sticking to what feels like Lexus OEM UI elements, and will really only navigate the CP unit interface with hard edge boundary pushes of the knob, like past where it stops, there's a mm or two of extra movement that registers as the direction correctly.
There is no collateral damage being done as far as I've been able to tell.

And no, the joystick doesn't navigate the Carplay system the way it navigates the Lexus system. As you state, you have to use the boundaries of the joystick to navigate through Carplay. I typically just navigate the joystick to play/pause and then just leave it.

There is no collateral damage being done as far as I've been able to tell.

And no, the joystick doesn't navigate the Carplay system the way it navigates the Lexus system. As you state, you have to use the boundaries of the joystick to navigate through Carplay. I typically just navigate the joystick to play/pause and then just leave it.

Wow ok, we are def on the same page then. THANK YOU. Y'all save my fing sanity sometimes really do.

I will say though in the 5 min I used it, I was turning ac on and off and calling random people. I can't imagine how you are dealing with that or avoiding that.

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 2.30.29 PM.png

IDK who JEREMY S. is but he is correct. Except its 0 stars instead of 2.

Taking this crap out before it burns up the electronics in my $100k truck with screen and radios in the thousands to replace.

@AnyMal my setup still works great. Doesn't cut off, Audio through bluetooth is working great still, Connects every time to both my iPhone and my wife's Google Pixel (android).

It's easy to switch back and forth between the OEM screen and the carplay/android screen by holding the menu button.

The OEM backup camera and 360 camera still work great. I have my OEM camera set to "auto" and it still seamlessly pops up every time I am slowing down to park, and then switches back to the carplay/android screen as you speed up past a parking lot.

I have the phone call audio going through the OEM bluetooth, works great. Calls come in and easy to answer and end through the OEM steering wheel controls.

The rear entertainment screens still work just like they did before. Kids can use the wireless headphones, or you can put the audio through the OEM speakers.

My only gripe is that I wish there was a touch screen. The joystick takes some time to get used to. But that's something you are stuck with no matter which setup you go with. Other than the lack of a touchscreen I'm still very happy with the setup.

Wow ok, we are def on the same page then. THANK YOU. Y'all save my fing sanity sometimes really do.

I will say though in the 5 min I used it, I was turning ac on and off and calling random people. I can't imagine how you are dealing with that or avoiding that.
According to Beatsonic, their systems dont have that issue when joystick still activates lexus oem functions (random calls, ac on/off, etc) while using carplay mode. anyone uses their system to confirm ?
I m trying to understand what would cause one system to do that and other not.

According to Beatsonic, their systems dont have that issue when joystick still activates lexus oem functions (random calls, ac on/off, etc) while using carplay mode. anyone uses their system to confirm ?
I m trying to understand what would cause one system to do that and other not.

I spent a day or two back and forth with the support staff here is their response, and also, this is the exact same device @NKP Garage is saying does not toggle his AC or call ppl in background.

One other poster in that thread said their experience was like mine and similarly was told it was normal behavior.

@nkpgarage please check that your oem menu selection confirmation sound setting is turned on because I could clearly hear it happening too. (Bong bong bong)

IMG_0395.png

IMG_0396.png

IMG_0397.png

So for this it looks like mouse mode needs to be done, but even if I can get this to work (still have the unit) I’m wondering what nkp unit is doing.

If you could kindly confirm the menu feedback noise is turned on in your car or not that would save me $700. Is yours in mouse mode cursor or tile selector mode?

But again, it seems like we are using the exact same units so I don’t have a clue why mine wouldn’t work except faulty unit or harness.

Here was the software in mine btw.

IMG_0357.jpeg

@AnyMal my setup still works great. Doesn't cut off, Audio through bluetooth is working great still, Connects every time to both my iPhone and my wife's Google Pixel (android).

It's easy to switch back and forth between the OEM screen and the carplay/android screen by holding the menu button.

The OEM backup camera and 360 camera still work great. I have my OEM camera set to "auto" and it still seamlessly pops up every time I am slowing down to park, and then switches back to the carplay/android screen as you speed up past a parking lot.

I have the phone call audio going through the OEM bluetooth, works great. Calls come in and easy to answer and end through the OEM steering wheel controls.

The rear entertainment screens still work just like they did before. Kids can use the wireless headphones, or you can put the audio through the OEM speakers.

My only gripe is that I wish there was a touch screen. The joystick takes some time to get used to. But that's something you are stuck with no matter which setup you go with. Other than the lack of a touchscreen I'm still very happy with the setup.
+1 here. Approaching a year and still working great with the same exact unit as yours.

+1 here. Approaching a year and still working great with the same exact unit as yours.

Hey Egg, NKP seems to be out of office, can you answer my questions above and confirm?
If you are able to confirm that you are not affecting the lexus interface simultaneously that would be great.
I am fairly sure the ppl i am talking to are trying to get me to just return it instead of playing ball lol

Did you install joystick intercept? Are you hearing the lexus gongs like NKP is?
Are you using yours in click mode or with a mouse cursor on screen sliding around?

Please halp lol

BTW i want to emphasize something, i am trying to get a solution that works 100%.
Ive noticed that a lot of people are throwing related input but if you want to confirm for yourself you should be able to fully control carplay interface as such for full functionality;

open maps in carplay. You should be able to click into the map space and drag the map view around.
you should be able to click the home page background and slide to the next page.

If you're system is not doing this, you are not really “using” carplay.
Its just displayed on your screen and if things are clickable you can click them.
This is not the “real” carplay experience.

I am fairly confident, you must be in cursor mode to do any of that.
For example, the $800 grom VL2 does NOT do that. I was honestly shooketh.

PS. Seems like these are all android boxes. I personally wouldnt connect them to hotspot or give them internet, ever.

BTW i want to emphasize something, i am trying to get a solution that works 100%.
Ive noticed that a lot of people are throwing related input but if you want to confirm for yourself you should be able to fully control carplay interface as such for full functionality;

open maps in carplay. You should be able to click into the map space and drag the map view around.
you should be able to click the home page background and slide to the next page.

If you're system is not doing this, you are not really “using” carplay.
Its just displayed on your screen and if things are clickable you can click them.
This is not the “real” carplay experience.

I am fairly confident, you must be in cursor mode to do any of that.
For example, the $800 grom VL2 does NOT do that. I was honestly shooketh.

PS. Seems like these are all android boxes. I personally wouldnt connect them to hotspot or give them internet, ever.
You're right, its not a true carplay experience and before installing the unit I was aware and am ok with that.

I wanted it displayed on the screen and it does that perfectly. I don't use it for anything else except for that very reason. Load up on map on my phone, hit start and just follow the screen.

I did install the joystick intercept and depending on where the cursor is I do hear the lexus gongs. I can only go left and right using the joystick and have to go over each item to get to where I want. I'm used to it now.

All Music/calls are connected via bluetooth to lexus not the unit itself.

Last edited:
You're right, its not a true carplay experience and before installing the unit I was aware and am ok with that.

I wanted it displayed on the screen and it does that perfectly. I don't use it for anything else except for that very reason. Load up on map on my phone, hit start and just follow the screen.

I did install the joystick intercept and depending on where the cursor is I do hear the lexus gongs. I can only go left and right using the joystick and have to go over each item to get to where I want. I'm used to it now.

All Music/calls are connected via bluetooth to lexus not the unit itself.

Im going to fix this for all of us.

Working on it with another vendor. US based support.

Good news is probably some of yall will just need to update your firmware.

I got the software update 👨‍💻

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom