Charcoal Canister - Great Option! (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If anyone is throwing away their old OEM cc, pm me and send my way.

To add more positive recommendations. ordered from Autozone online, arrived super fast, easy install, and now my 'gas fart' is gone.:clap:

Not sure if this has been covered, but it looks like Airtex makes a replacement for FZJ's. The model number is 4B1105. Unfortunately it's not widely available, is made of plastic, and costs MORE than OEM! But, an aftermarket replacement does exist...

Made this mod before CM13 and it worked great! No hissing at the pump and no dangerous fumes floating around. The larger diameter of the canister was a pain but easy enough to install.

Did this the same time I did my PS hoses and pump... no more hissing.

Also will be selling the 2 lines for replacement on my site soon. PM me if you want them before I get the site re-done... getting close.

Lines are cut to length, top quality Gates... with or without SS Breeze 300 series clamps.

It looks like this vapor canister may have been used in other Toyota vehicles under different part numbers. Here's a writeup about replacing the charcoal in a 1994 LS400 canister:

http://www.lexusforum.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=3460

The canister looks identical except for the brackets. There's probably other models using the same canister as well. Just putting that out there as a possible source for used canisters or maybe even new OEM or aftermarket ones.

Based on photos, it looks like the early Corolla canisters might be the same one with an extension added to the breather on the bottom.

That's a nice find Darkness but if the price is the same, it's of no advantage.
But good idea on picking up used ones, thanks for the research!

FWIW I called a Lexus dealer and there's only one of them left in the country. If anyone really really wants an unused OEM canister, this may be your last chance.

So, you're right not much practical value other than another source for used cans. The VC120 or a refurbished can is the most economic solution.

1FZ charcoal canister has not been available in the US market for at least two years... If not three.

I'd be very, very surprised if there indeed is one available directly from Toyota.

NOS is another story altogether.

I'm not talking about the canister for a 1FZ. I'm talking about the canister for an LS400. Part number 77740-50021. Stevinson Lexus of Lakewood said there's one in the country. They also said the inventory system could be wrong and that it is also discontinued. I wouldn't be surprised if the same canister is used on other Toyota or Lexus vehicles with different mounting under different part numbers and if there are still a few available. I gave up and decided to use the VC120 for price reasons, but I figured I'd share what I've learned in case it helps someone else.

What's NOS, out of curiosity?

largeNOS_Metalsign.jpg

or new old stock

I'm not talking about the canister for a 1FZ. I'm talking about the canister for an LS400. Part number 77740-50021. Stevinson Lexus of Lakewood said there's one in the country. They also said the inventory system could be wrong and that it is also discontinued. I wouldn't be surprised if the same canister is used on other Toyota or Lexus vehicles with different mounting under different part numbers and if there are still a few available. I gave up and decided to use the VC120 for price reasons, but I figured I'd share what I've learned in case it helps someone else.

OK. That's a different animal.

:)

I replaced the Carbon canister with the VC120, as suggested.
I removed the canister and bracket as a single unit.
Removed the lower canister strap, due to it's interference with the wiring harness to the fuse block (due to the larger diameter VC120).
The canister mounting bracket was installed first (w/o the VC120), due to the ease of getting to the bracket mounting screws with a much larger diameter VC120 canister.
The VC120 was installed after the bracket was installed.

The install was completed using a stainless 2 1/2" screw, flat washers, and a nylon lock nut. (fuse block cover removed for easier access to tighten the top strap canister screw, and then the fuse cover was re-installed).

Thanks to Mud member --> Jeeper, for this great thread!

Last edited:
I did pretty much exactly that, smell of old gas after shut-down on warm days gone totally. Also reduced pressure in tank.
What a deal.....

I replaced my OEM today with the VC120. Pretty much same order as LC8, just need to get the 2 1/2 screw, flat washer and nylon nut to hold the upper strap together. I eliminated the lower strap as I tried every which way to get the canister in but it just wouldn't fit due to larger diameter. Looks like it belongs there....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom