Charcoal Canister - Great Option! (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alternate P/N to Duralast VC120 is BWD CP1018

I just installed the BWD-brand equivalent (p/n CP1018) purchased at O'Reilly Auto Parts for $42.99. It looks just like the one pictured above in Landtoy80's reply. And it carries the Rochester Products name associated with GM.

Installation experience was similar to earlier replies. I loosened the three mounting bracket bolts -- two on inner fender well and one right below the hood/fender seam -- for some wiggle room. I ditched the lower mounting ring and it seems sturdy enough with the top ring.

I'll take a long drive tomorrow to test it out. Thanks to all on the thread! :)

Great fix, thanks!

My 80 is running just fine with this fix. No more fuel smell or whoosh of fumes when I remove the cap. Thanks for the fix!
:)

Picked my VC120 up from the zone. $35.99 plus tax/shipping here. Didn't have fuel smell but the air from the gas cap was getting worse. Zero air now. Works like a charm.

I put this in a while a go and I think I maybe have an issue. I drove hard in 100 plus temps with a trailer. Bt the gas in the tank was so hot it was boiling I think. Lots of pressure from the cap. Drove home no issue..... My truck was in a rust pro area the line may be blocked but maybe it just couldn't handle all of the high temps. I did go up hill a lot. Down hill on the way home. Thoughts ideas?????

Strange how Autozone prices vary depending on what part of the country you are in.

No autozone here but Oreillys wants 67.99 for the vc120:eek:

May just order the Delco 215-75 from amazon.

No autozone here but Oreillys wants 67.99 for the vc120:eek:

May just order the Delco 215-75 from amazon.

Do you have a pep boys? They were cheaper and O'Reilly matched the price.

Coolant temp?

Is there a cause-effect between high coolant temperature and the evaporation of gas?
Or is high coolant temp simply an indication of high temperature in and around the car which also results in evaporation?
Just curiosity at this point. I am sold on the Pontiac canister...

Just FYI for those with no autozone nearby, amazon stocks ac delco 215-153 for $45. It fit fine in the stock bracket of my LX, though I used zip ties instead of the stock clamping bolts since it is a larger diameter than stock. The hoses slip on perfectly too.

Is there a cause-effect between high coolant temperature and the evaporation of gas?
Or is high coolant temp simply an indication of high temperature in and around the car which also results in evaporation?
Just curiosity at this point. I am sold on the Pontiac canister...

I think higher ambient temp is the root cause. This raises rate of evaporation and also increases the pressure inside the fuel tank.

Went wheeling for first time after installing VC120. When up same trail that I had major CC smell with somewhat better results but there was still some smell from the CC. There was no noise from the CC this time. I also went up higher on the mt this time 4000' in about 15 miles with a full tank of Shell 85/ethanol (not topped off when filling).

I am thinking maybe there needs to be a second CC in the system. Not sure if you could split the tank line and run the split to each VC120 and them put a split on the vacuum port on the motor. Not sure if there would be enough vacuum to purge both CC???

Last edited:
Hows the install on ur 91?

Speaking of the canisters, do you really need one? Aren't they just for emissions? We don't do emissions tests here.

I work with a guy that is always building some sort of truck and he says he always take his off of whatever he's building. I'm no gear head, so I don't know if that's right. Would it cause a check engine light or other warning light to come on? If I could just bypass it, I'd cancel the Pontiac one I've got ordered at autozone.

Speaking of the canisters, do you really need one? Aren't they just for emissions? We don't do emissions tests here.

More or less, however in the "what did you do to your rig this weekend" someone started going on about how I was going to destroy my cruiser because I am venting my tank to atmosphere. There are lots of older threads with people who have removed their charcoal canister without issue.

This thread has people talking about bypassing the canister: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/767169-serious-gas-tank-pressure.html

I don't want a canister because I'd rather use the fender space in my engine compartment for something else. I have no emission testing.

More or less, however in the "what did you do to your rig this weekend" someone started going on about how I was going to destroy my cruiser because I am venting my tank to atmosphere. There are lots of older threads with people who have removed their charcoal canister without issue.

This thread has people talking about bypassing the canister: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/767169-serious-gas-tank-pressure.html

I don't want a canister because I'd rather use the fender space in my engine compartment for something else. I have no emission testing.

Thanks for the info and reference. I really appreciate it!

jumped on this myself. takes longer to get the old one out than it does to get the new one in. i just dumped all the ring bands and went with a big zip tie. all seems well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom