Charcoal Canister - Great Option! (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Swapped this out before a trip to Quartzite a couple weekends ago... no more tank suck and it seems i picked up a whole 1 MPG :) not sure what affect that would have on mileage but my average per the scan gauge says I'm up a bit overall. I'll take it for the cost.

Anything for the 3FE? After several hours of wheeling today I smelled gas in the cabin, got out and it seems to be coming from the Charcoal Canister area. Opened the gas cap and vented like craaaaaazy for about 3-5 min.
After some research over here It seems to be the issue is the CC, BUT still cant find a replacement for the 3FE.

I used the vc120 also on my 3fe. It works perfect but the bracket took a little modification to fit to the new plastic canister. L.B.

in my 80 its still working great after 4000 miles and 10000 feet plus down to 1000 no problems!

Anybody knows the napa equivalent? There is no Autozone in Canada only Napa, autovalue and the parts source

You just have to love Mud. I have been having fuel vapor, boiling over problems for a couple of years now when we wheel the 80. Before the Crawl I installed a napa #229818, cost about $39. Den Mom Deb wheeled Bessie all over Superlift in Hot Springs and did not have one issue with fuel venting. Thanks MUD!!!

Anybody knows the napa equivalent? There is no Autozone in Canada only Napa, autovalue and the parts source

If the part in wst49's post doesn't look correct, Napa may very well have a cross reference tool they can use to find the right one for you.

before I buy

Can you guys confirm that the issue I am having might be fixed with the new charcoal canister:

I do have the venting issue at the cap. I also have an issue where sometimes gas shoots out while I am pumping (when not full). Yesterday I was able to pull back the vapor catcher thingy (I'm in CA) and that seemed to help but gas still was seeping out.

Gas it awfully expensive for me to be dumping it all over the ground and the side of my truck. It seems like there is pressure keeping the fuel from going in.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Can you guys confirm that the issue I am having might be fixed with the new charcoal canister:

I do have the venting issue at the cap. I also have an issue where sometimes gas shoots out while I am pumping (when not full). Yesterday I was able to pull back the vapor catcher thingy (I'm in CA) and that seemed to help but gas still was seeping out.

Gas it awfully expensive for me to be dumping it all over the ground and the side of my truck. It seems like there is pressure keeping the fuel from going in.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

I was having that problem as well...can't say for sure it was the canister but it doesn't do it anymore. I just can't recall if it has done it since I replaced it or not. It did take care of the suction problem when opening the gas cap. As for part numbers, mine wasn't the exact part number listed at the top of the thread. I just ordered one for a 97 grand am v6 and rolled with it.

I ordered oem hoses. I think one had a slight preformed bend in it. Best I can tell, it's just fuel line.

Are there any problems with passing the smog test in California if you swap this out? Mine is totally hosed, and intrigued by getting 1 mpg.

I had no problem. Just had mine pass from a star station and the tech didn't even notice it as long as the hoses are connected. Didn't affect my almost minimal emissions.

I have done 3000 plus miles up hill 10000 foot plus down to 1000 feet no issues. Just passed NV SMOG! Guy looked at it kept moving. (He got a good tip)

Anybody needs a new VC120, still sealed in the airtight packaging, just pm me.
Louis

Are there any problems with passing the smog test in California if you swap this out? Mine is totally hosed, and intrigued by getting 1 mpg.

can't imagine you would have a problem unless the smog guy is anal. I got one and plan to put it on but will probably keep the old one on a shelf up high in case I ever need it again.

I did it today using the NAPA part. I did remove the bracket from the truck and took off the lower strap. All with my six-month old in a baby backpack. His first 'Cruiser mod. Hope it solves my problem!
If this isn't a sticky it ought to be.

Anybody needs a new VC120, still sealed in the airtight packaging, just pm me.
Louis

Slabsides:
Got your pm, but your box is full so my reply bounced back.

I've just read through this entire thread and ran down to check my CC per the FSM. Couldn't get any air through. Hoses are old, but no cracks and look good. Debating trying to salvage my current CC, but probably going to order the Autozone one tonight and pick it up tomorrow or Friday.

My truck has always greeted me with a mighty wind every time I filled it up since I bought it almost 2 years ago, and have always just told the future :princess: that my truck is 'gassy like me' much to her dismay. I guess I always just assumed it was normal and as I had no suffering mpg or other symptoms, put it on the low priority list.

But another thing this thread has convinced me of is cooling system maintenance. It was already next on my list, but was going to wait a bit to get done. As I'm in Texas and 100 degree days are fast approaching, may flush the system as soon as tomorrow after work.

Overall, great write up! And great thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom