Charcoal canister bypass? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To bad there's not more fixes this easy...

Or if you have no emissions, vent-to-atmosphere. Plug off the connection to the intake and put a lawn mower fuel filter for the other end off the hard line and call it good.

But I never said that.....

:)

I may have just removed my canister, plumbed the tank vent to my diff breather hose which is terminated by a fuel filter.
Plugged the intake pipe with a T'd piece of hose for now, will find something better.

Just did this last night. Worked as advertised...

null_zpsd73f2fa7.jpg

Yes, 6 comes after 5.
1st gear + pedal to the floor = 6k
Needle was maxed out.
My wife kept asking if I was trying to blow it up.
When we got down the other side and got to the light she freaked from all the smoke coming off the brakes, thought the engine was on fire.
Had brake fade coming down and she didn't want to stop.
But that's another issue.

1750 past redline is a pretty foolish move for any motor, let alone a 21 year old pushrod tractor motor. Valve float and oil starvation. Excellent work.

I'm well aware of how engines work and most of their limitations.
Seen plenty of 6 cylinder engines with a piston and rod hanging out the side from over-speeding the engine.
Foolish or not I needed it to make it to the top and it did that. I was not in a position to coast to the side and wait it out.
It wouldn't be the first engine I have had to repair or replace had it of scattered.
Not recommended or advisable but the ol tractor engine will take it, it seems.
If it lets go I suppose I'll have to snag a buddies SBC Adapter and swing in a TBI 350.
Not a big deal really. Just another day in the life.

The hose from the bottom of the charcoal canister just goes into the fender and vents to atmosphere.

Im seriously considering removing Charcoal canister if there are no ill effects. I live where there are no emissions, can someone please describe the routing of the three hoses. It's not made very clear in the posts, Thanks

Im seriously considering removing Charcoal canister if there are no ill effects. I live where there are no emissions, can someone please describe the routing of the three hoses. It's not made very clear in the posts, Thanks
After reading a bunch of threads and searching for a canister i too bypassed mine. I even tried swapping the one from my 94 (not running) only to find out i have 2 .com bad cc's. Maybe i get around to fixing them as others have done at later date. Either way i plugged the purge (to engine). I then connected the hose from tank to the one that runs out the bottom. I used a fuel filter from my 68 mustang to join them. I bet i have the only LC with a chrome fuel filter replacing the cc! Check engine light off and no more gas leak. Any legit saftey concerns ? This is my wife daily driver?

Or if you have no emissions, vent-to-atmosphere. Plug off the connection to the intake and put a lawn mower fuel filter for the other end off the hard line and call it good.

But I never said that.....

:)
In this way would one run the vent back down to the frame? I know "a guy" who did this and he's getting strong fume smell in cabin at idle.

In this way would one run the vent back down to the frame? I know "a guy" who did this and he's getting strong fume smell in cabin at idle.

Looks like we know the same guy ha ha...

Would there be anything wrong with just putting a vacuum cap on the hardline? I assume the cap would pop off before the tank ruptured...

I was also thinking of connecting it directly to the intake manifold to suck those fumes up into the engine...

Anyone have any thoughts?

Looks like we know the same guy ha ha...

Would there be anything wrong with just putting a vacuum cap on the hardline? I assume the cap would pop off before the tank ruptured...

I was also thinking of connecting it directly to the intake manifold to suck those fumes up into the engine...

Anyone have any thoughts?
I went ahead and ordered the one from autozone. I was using a cheap inline fuel filter and plugged the intake line. Was getting a lot of fume smell while sitting at idle. Don't run it straight to the intake, feel like thay would pull more vapor than necessary and possibly make you run rich? Just a guess

You went it to atmosphere and you get spark somehow underneath your car and then you have a nice fireworks and you watch your car burn down jus so you know gas fumes ignite like gas

For the record, gas doesn’t burn very easily. Gas fumes on the other hand burn very easily.

I went ahead and ordered the one from autozone. I was using a cheap inline fuel filter and plugged the intake line. Was getting a lot of fume smell while sitting at idle. Don't run it straight to the intake, feel like thay would pull more vapor than necessary and possibly make you run rich? Just a guess

Your oxygen sensors would correct for the rich condition by slightly reducing the amount of fuel coming out of the injectors though, right? Up to a limit, obviously... But I'd think the amount of fuel in the fumes from the tank would be almost insignificant. The only worry would be if the vacuum in the manifold was enough to start pulling liquid gas through it.

What about capping the hardline, though? Obviously no fumes in the engine compartment, then. I guess that might require a vented gas cap, though...

Cut the canister in half. Drill out the 2 ball bearings in the valves and tape it back together using self sealing tape. Replace charcoal if you want. Mine is empty. Passes smog no problem. Drives normally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom