Removed Charcoal Canister: Now Hoses? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I removed the canister, it has always had a faint fuel smell and I wanted to free up the space for other mods. I live in an area where there are no emissions, and I am keeping the unit in case I resell the truck later (a 96 BTW). As an added bonus, after removing it the truck idles much smoother and drives better! I never had any rough idle issues and the motor has always behaved fine, however after removing the canister, there was a noticeable difference, the truck idles smooth as a new car.

Anyway. I have plugged the line that connects to the VAS(?) at the intake, and I have put a filter on the fuel tank line and tucked it into the fender. I just don't know what to do with the hose that went to the bottom of the canister. It looks like it just went into the frame, Any suggestions on this?

For the $35 why not just get one of the aftermarket ones and be done with it?

That was considered strongly. I plan on adding some electrical mods in the space behind the battery and need the space. If the mods can be done and leave enough room, I will reinstall.

it has always had a faint fuel smell

I would guess it has a strong fuel smell now? Either that or your gas whooshes like crazy when you fill up.

As for the bottom hose, you could remove it if you wanted to. It just vents the vapors farther out of the engine bay.

I was actually surprised. If I stick my head near the fender area where I tucked the hose there is a faint fuel smell, but its otherwise unnoticeable. Thanks, I thought it was the vent, But a vent on the bottom just didnt sit right in my head

I removed mine last summer, i just plugged in the intake, put a filter on the tank line and removed everything else.

Several people here warned me that I will now burn down my house, garage and cruiser without the canister, but I prefer to live on the wild side.

I notice some gas smell while filling up

After reading a bunch of threads and searching for a canister i too bypassed mine. I even tried swapping the one from my 94 (not running) only to find out i have 2 bad cc's. Maybe i get around to fixing them as others have done at later date. Either way i plugged the purge (to engine). I then connected the hose from tank to the one that runs out the bottom. I used a fuel filter from my 68 mustang to join them. I bet i have the only LC with a chrome fuel filter replacing the cc! Check engine light off and no more gas leak. Any legit saftey concerns ? This is my wife daily driver...

Last edited:
So I removed the canister, it has always had a faint fuel smell and I wanted to free up the space for other mods. I live in an area where there are no emissions, and I am keeping the unit in case I resell the truck later (a 96 BTW). As an added bonus, after removing it the truck idles much smoother and drives better! I never had any rough idle issues and the motor has always behaved fine, however after removing the canister, there was a noticeable difference, the truck idles smooth as a new car.

Anyway. I have plugged the line that connects to the VAS(?) at the intake, and I have put a filter on the fuel tank line and tucked it into the fender. I just don't know what to do with the hose that went to the bottom of the canister. It looks like it just went into the frame, Any suggestions on this?

I removed mine last summer, i just plugged in the intake, put a filter on the tank line and removed everything else.

Several people here warned me that I will now burn down my house, garage and cruiser without the canister, but I prefer to live on the wild side.

I notice some gas smell while filling up

After reading a bunch of threads and searching for a canister i too bypassed mine. I even tried swapping the one from my 94 (not running) only to find out i have 2 bad cc's. Maybe i get around to fixing them as others have done at later date. Either way i plugged the purge (to engine). I then connected the hose from tank to the one that runs out the bottom. I used a fuel filter from my 68 mustang to join them. I bet i have the only LC with a chrome fuel filter replacing the cc! Check engine light off and no more gas leak. Any legit saftey concerns ? This is my wife daily driver...

Thread resurrection. What do you use to plug the intake/purge hole after removing the charcoal cannister? Anything special?

Thank you.

Reactions: RFB
A new canister in my case but for the few minutes it took to replace it I just held it with my finger. Are you talking about permanent removal? If so you have more guts than me.

Yes, permanently removing the canister.

Wow so you are going to vent out the gas cap? I think you could use just a rubber plug or something the same diameter as the inner diameter of the hose with a hose clamp. A screw may leak a Little.

I would add a couple of fire extinguishers right away. The can has a purpose and just venting the gas fumes out wherever could prove to be exciting.

while I agree lets keep in mind that charcoal canisters are fairly new in the scheme of cars. Fuel tanks have vented to atmosphere far longer than they have not. Don't smoke your product of choice in the area and you should be fine. It's more environmental related as millions of cars doing this is bad for the planet for obvious reasons

I used a bolt and hose clamp to plug the line to the engine. I used a fuel filter to connect to the vent hose and left it in OEM location. Been running this way for almost a year. Still get small fuel smell when tank is full, but it is not longer my wife's daily driver so it doesn't bother me much. I did ask a friend of mine who is experienced toyota technician about the saftey concerns. Obviously this is not a recommended procedure, but he said it should be just fine from a safety stand point. By the way - after bypassing canister I no longer get the wooosh on the gas cap. My CEL did come back on a few weeks after bypassing.

I used a bolt and hose clamp to plug the line to the engine. I used a fuel filter to connect to the vent hose and left it in OEM location. Been running this way for almost a year. Still get small fuel smell when tank is full, but it is not longer my wife's daily driver so it doesn't bother me much. I did ask a friend of mine who is experienced toyota technician about the saftey concerns. Obviously this is not a recommended procedure, but he said it should be just fine from a safety stand point. By the way - after bypassing canister I no longer get the wooosh on the gas cap. My CEL did come back on a few weeks after bypassing.

Thank you.

I'm planning to hook up the vent hoses like you with a filter in the middle. I have a few filters I'm going to experiment with if I still get the smell.

My tank vent has been routed to behind the plastic panel in the rear driver side (US) wheel well. The panel that hides/protects the tank fill hose.

My tank vent has been routed to behind the plastic panel in the rear driver side (US) wheel well. The panel that hides/protects the tank fill hose.

Have you noticed a fuel smell having it back there?

Thank you.

I'm planning to hook up the vent hoses like you with a filter in the middle. I have a few filters I'm going to experiment with if I still get the smell.
CC bypass.jpg
KIMG0051.jpg

Not saying this is correct but the pics show my bypass of CC. Also, I forgot to note that I began investigating this issue after smelling strong gas smell. Turns out gas smell resulted from gas leak. Obviously gas leak is major safety concern. The fuel was noticeable on top of the tank and was bad enough that it could drip out on ground when tank full. I first looked at the fuel pump and seal - but was able to determine that this was not the problem. I also did my best to inspect all fuel lines and connections. Might be worth investigating a little more to be sure that your CC is actually clogged and that you don't have an actual leak causing you to smell fuel.

Gas leak seems to have gone away after removing CC. My guess is that the clogged CC did not allow tank to vent - building up ton of pressure in tank (explains the big woosh when removing fuel cap). I think I remember reading somewhere on MUD that the build up of pressure could cause tank to leak and even develop small cracks. I have no idea how long the CC was clogged, and I still wonder if my tank doesn't have some minor permanent damage. Either way I rarely smell gas anymore.

View attachment 1718006 View attachment 1718007
Not saying this is correct but the pics show my bypass of CC. Also, I forgot to note that I began investigating this issue after smelling strong gas smell. Turns out gas smell resulted from gas leak. Obviously gas leak is major safety concern. The fuel was noticeable on top of the tank and was bad enough that it could drip out on ground when tank full. I first looked at the fuel pump and seal - but was able to determine that this was not the problem. I also did my best to inspect all fuel lines and connections. Might be worth investigating a little more to be sure that your CC is actually clogged and that you don't have an actual leak causing you to smell fuel.

Gas leak seems to have gone away after removing CC. My guess is that the clogged CC did not allow tank to vent - building up ton of pressure in tank (explains the big woosh when removing fuel cap). I think I remember reading somewhere on MUD that the build up of pressure could cause tank to leak and even develop small cracks. I have no idea how long the CC was clogged, and I still wonder if my tank doesn't have some minor permanent damage. Either way I rarely smell gas anymore.
Did you remove any of the three fuel lines and if so, how much of a hassle was that? I am going to be pulling my tank and skid along with the filler neck but I also bought some of the last factory lines and will replace those too if I can get the old ones out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom