Center Pin Rebuild Kit and Its Wrong (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,

Writing this to see if anyone has run into this issue and what the solution is. I am currently working on the steering cause it seems to work better when the ball joints aren't all friction welded after 42 years. Anyways, I purchased a center pin rebuild kit from Cruiser Corps. The site advertises these kits to fit all years (with that specific part) at a reasonable price. Being in Costa Rica, getting parts can be a tad tedious so I took this chance to get it. Moving forward, I rebuild the part and went to install the steering center arm and it doesn't fit. The arm, which is original to the vehicle has 38 splines and the rebuild part is 46 splines. Trying to find a better parts description seem impossible ie "amount of splines on the part" and not just "remanufactured original".

Have any wrench turners run into this fiasco? My only solution at this point is to find the part used in country, frankenstien it and hope for the best or take the arm to a machine shop to see if it can be milled to a 46 spline.

Pic of center arm? Year of vehicle? You ask for much, but give little.

I prefer Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters for just this reason. The fella above should be able to help with details regarding year, spline count & part differences between years.
…and then do their business elsewhere? What’s up with that thinking John? 🤔 Serious disconnect at the very least.☹️

No disconnect, I was not aware you stocked small parts, rebuild kits, etc.. Like I would not think to buy a clutch or oil filter, or spring bushings from you.
I did not think you got involved stocking the multitude of small parts that yield a low margin. Is it possible that this customer happened upon an item that you happened to have a bunch of as they arent exactlty a hot seller. AND you do not have the most open/accessible contact channel so , sometimes, reaching you is difficult, AND I think you would agree. Now, if you want to hate on me cause I reffered KURT as well as you so be it, I will provide information if I can and I will refer any/all people/businesses that could help, I am not affiliated to anyone and I refuse to steer any person to a particular vendor, I simply offer information that others may not have stumbled on and it is impossible to list all vendors in every conversation so it would be reasonable to think that one would point the poster in the direction that one would feel the best service could be provided. Don't try and admonish me for posting the name of another vendor, AND I would offer that there is a large contingent of people in the cruiser community that might feel you are the one with the disconnect.

Pic of center arm? Year of vehicle? You ask for much, but give little.
It's a 79 BJ40, B serious motor.

20221212_145651.jpg

20221212_145656.jpg

As a last resort based on parts availability, how about using the original center shaft with the new bushing? The center shaft should be a hardened part so ware would be on the bushing it sets in. As long as there was no significant ware to the center shaft I'm thinking it would be doable.

As a last resort based on parts availability, how about using the original center shaft with the new bushing? The center shaft should be a hardened part so ware would be on the bushing it sets in. As long as there was no significant ware to the center shaft I'm thinking it would be doable.
Sadly, it was SMOKED and now is taking space in a landfill. That was my original thought. As for steel hardness, the shaft is softer than the arm.

One option I thought, failing everything, is the mill the shaft and get a keyway drifted into both the arm and shaft but seeing that's not the original design, I'm wary of that.

Anyone have a 38 spline center arm laying around To help this guy out?
Though I appreciate the comment, the arm is 38 and the shaft is 46. Also, it's really hard to receive mail in Costa Rica without paying triple the price for the parts in question.

Thank you though.

Anyone have a 38 spline center arm laying around To help this guy out?

Yes:

But he doesn't need a new arm, he needs the correct rebuild kit.

The ST60021 center arm rebuild kit which fits the 6/1969 - 1985 4x Series, has 38 spline as does the original.

1670968541655.png

1670968563338.png

Yes:

But he doesn't need a new arm, he needs the correct rebuild kit.

The ST60021 center arm rebuild kit which fits the 6/1969 - 1985 4x Series, has 38 spline as does the original.

View attachment 3192923

View attachment 3192924
Yes sir, thats the one. Someone from your shop already responded and thank you.

Not sure what Cruiser Corps is trying to pawn off, but it screwed me and my buddy who also bought one. Getting required parts to Costa Rica is not an easy thing and now I'm out that cash.

Yes sir, thats the one. Someone from your shop already responded and thank you.

Not sure what Cruiser Corps is trying to pawn off, but it screwed me and my buddy who also bought one. Getting required parts to Costa Rica is not an easy thing and now I'm out that cash.

Glad to hear the team there got you taken care of. I'm out for a bit so it always warms me to know they are taking care of tech inquiries with solid answers.

We can definitely ship to Costa Rica. I'm sure Mark ( @65swb45 ) also as the Japanese 60021 variant in stock and can get you taken care of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom