Center diff lock switch cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SJWantsADiesel

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
I've had the center diff lock mod done and switch on the dash. Been wanting to put a little flip up cover on it to prevent someone accidentally pushing it especially if I am not the driver and because it is right next to the hazard light switch and looks exactly the same. Any ideas? Thanks.

I've had the center diff lock mod done and switch on the dash. Been wanting to put a little flip up cover on it to prevent someone accidentally pushing it especially if I am not the driver and because it is right next to the hazard light switch and looks exactly the same. Any ideas? Thanks.
I'm not sure in a cover, but you could either change the lable of the switch yourself or buy the CDL switch from Wits'End or Slee.

I have a marks 2wd conversion and since day 1 (due to paranoia of the switch being pressed at 100kmh) have been removing the dash fuse, for the diff lock, when using the vehicle normally. Only when im on holidays etc using 4wd do I first lock in the hubs and push the fuse back in. Works for me

Thanks for all the responses.

My concern isn’t mistaking the diff lock switch for hazard light switch but accidentally hitting the switch. Maybe I can extend ozfzj80’s idea and add a toggle type switch that comes with a flip cover to prevent accidental engagement of the center diff lock switch.

It is rare but my younger one managed to push the center diff lock switch on my 100 while I stepped out to check something. Got back in, turned the truck on and as I started reversing, felt the steering abnormally heavy and noticed the center diff was locked!! My bad for not paying attention to the dash but like I said, it is so rare that I out of habit, I turned on the truck and was paying more attention to my surroundings while backing out.

I think you are overthinking this. There is really no issue locking the CDL at highway speeds as long as wheels are not spinning. Just make sure the dash indicator light works properly so you know when it is engaged.

I think you are overthinking this. There is really no issue locking the CDL at highway speeds as long as wheels are not spinning. Just make sure the dash indicator light works properly so you know when it is engaged.
Sorry, I am confused, what do you mean by “at highway speeds as long as wheels are not spinning”? You mean as long as all four wheels have traction? I could be overthinking this, sure - but I don’t like the idea of something engaging in the drivetrain at high speed.

Anyways, got bigger fixes to put in place before I get to this little quirk :) Thanks!

Sorry, I am confused, what do you mean by “at highway speeds as long as wheels are not spinning”? You mean as long as all four wheels have traction? I could be overthinking this, sure - but I don’t like the idea of something engaging in the drivetrain at high speed.

Anyways, got bigger fixes to put in place before I get to this little quirk :) Thanks!

Yes, all four have traction or the axles are rotating at the same speed.

Don't you think if there would be a problem engaging the CDL at any speed the Toyota engineers would have designed in a safeguard or a warning sticker? i.e. the factory front and rear lockers won't engage over 5 MPH or 8 KM/H plus there was a warning sticker on the driver's side door. No warning stickers for the CDL.

1651558161130.png

Thanks for all the responses.

My concern isn’t mistaking the diff lock switch for hazard light switch but accidentally hitting the switch....
You could try buying the proper switch and instructing family members not to press it, or any buttons on dash, without knowing what they do. Accidentally pushing this one seems like it'd be quite difficult. I recently did this on mine:
IMG_1198.jpg

SJ. Anyone advising it's acceptable to engage the CDL on anything more than a slippery surface clearly has no understanding of the consequences to those actions. There are HUGE mechanical stresses on the transfer & drive-train if there is traction & no differential, its a real good way to shag your gear. Not even in a straight line would the rotation of the front and rear tail shafts achieve equilibrium. Every tyre would need exactly the same OD with NO wear differences, inflation pressures and the road would need to be dead flat with NO bumps, whomps etc. Its just dumb to do it, or suggest it.

I never thought of adding an isolation switch but its a good idea. I use the 4wd system so rarely the ole fuse back in the panel (near the knee) became normal without thinking about it. I might add a toggle inside the fuse box. now. Imaging the words that came out of my mouth the first time I accidentally knocked the CDL button on the road and the actuator started throwing in a stationary front drive shaft at speed.

SJ. Anyone advising it's acceptable to engage the CDL on anything more than a slippery surface clearly has no understanding of the consequences to those actions. There are HUGE mechanical stresses on the transfer & drive-train if there is traction & no differential, its a real good way to shag your gear. Not even in a straight line would the rotation of the front and rear tail shafts achieve equilibrium. Every tyre would need exactly the same OD with NO wear differences, inflation pressures and the road would need to be dead flat with NO bumps, whomps etc. Its just dumb to do it, or suggest it.

I never thought of adding an isolation switch but its a good idea. I use the 4wd system so rarely the ole fuse back in the panel (near the knee) became normal without thinking about it. I might add a toggle inside the fuse box. now. Imaging the words that came out of my mouth the first time I accidentally knocked the CDL button on the road and the actuator started throwing in a stationary front drive shaft at speed.
Oh please. The transfer case is not made from eggshells and dove feathers.

Imaging the words that came out of my mouth the first time I accidentally knocked the CDL button on the road and the actuator started throwing in a stationary front drive shaft at speed.

In a fulltime 4WD system it would be impossible to have a "stationary" front driveshaft at speed. Your argument has no credibility.

In a fulltime 4WD system it would be impossible to have a "stationary" front driveshaft at speed. Your argument has no credibility.
If you read my first post you will see my transfer case has a "Mark's Part Time 4WD Conversion" I can assure you the front shaft is stationary.
Anyway unrelated to running CDL in a stock transfer on a highway.

If you read my first post you will see my transfer case has a "Mark's Part Time 4WD Conversion" I can assure you the front shaft is stationary.
Anyway unrelated to running CDL in a stock transfer on a highway.

CDL aside, yep, need the part time 4wd conversion. With 35s, my turning radius is horrible. I drove alongside another 80 with 37s and he was able to turn a much tighter circle with the part time kit.

I agree the button location for the 100 series is at a height that can be easily pushed with knee and engage by accident. I thought maybe a flip cover made by someone with a knack for 3D printing already exist but to no avail.
Something like this would work too to prevent accidental push. Not circular shape of course.
1679367104316.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom