Catch can advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After you brought this up I started looking into them and ill be going with the Vibrant unit. Its a great size for the price and I like the design of it with the recessed top and two ports

I hope that it is too because it would save me the cost of a catch can. But, I'll report back what I see tomorrow.
After wasting $900 on 3 different catch cans - now just vent to the atmosphere via a hose bolted to the frame. Solution has worked for every prior Toyota and Cummins diesel. 3B's mark their territory.

Buy whatever makes you sleep better or smells better (the only advantage I can see). Most extolling the virtues of a catch can on a 6 cyl diesel have other issues

Last edited:
I run a Moroso 85474 on my 1HD-T and have had no issues with oil. I did it to protect the Grunter Turbo. It came with a bracket that I used to mount to the firewall. C$180 a few years back.

IMG_5152.JPG

I run a Moroso 85474 on my 1HD-T and have had no issues with oil. I did it to protect the Grunter Turbo. It came with a bracket that I used to mount to the firewall. C$180 a few years back.

View attachment 2099174

Looks like a Duramax air filter box? Any details on how you mounted it and what was needed to make it work?

Looks like a Duramax air filter box? Any details on how you mounted it and what was needed to make it work?
Yes it is and works well. I had to shave the bottom to fit under the hood and then just used self tapping screws to mount to the top of the fender. I’m sure there are s few write ups on this on Mud. I believe it used the same size panel filter as all the expensive aftermarket air boxes. I bought it off craigslist with the pipping cause I wanted the 6” elbow coming off the box.

Ran my vent to atmosphere and did my normal route to the cabin. The turbo does feel ever so slightly less responsive. I'm not sure why. It is still much better than it was with the stock airbox.

Just found this thread while searching after finding my provent has been under performing.

My Hilux has 65,000km and has had a provent 200 since new, I stripped down the intake to inspect it and found the throttle body coated in gunk and intercooler saturated in oil. I’ve since disabled the egr but I still want to eliminate the oil residue as it’s fouls up the multiple sensors in the intake and the intercooler.

I’m thinking I’ll modify my provent the same as Dougal did, but I’m also wondering if an oil cooler plumbed in line before the provent would help condense any oil vapour out of the air stream.
CECC2F73-EB02-4B29-8928-F15379CD5591.jpeg

IMHO, feeding blow-by waste back into the intake is never good. Results like the pictures above are standard and cause problems. I've read about Dougal's Provent mod, and many have found good results. I'd try it and see what happens after a few thousand mile/KM's.

My Isuzu 4BD2 came stock with a simple system consisting of baffled valve cover vent, plastic engine mounted separator with drains to sump and vents to atmosphere. It works dam well, simple, and most importantly, my intake and turbo look like new. Is it the environmentally benign option? No, but neither are any vehicles! Plus this 60 only see's a few thousand miles a year.

IMHO, feeding blow-by waste back into the intake is never good. Results like the pictures above are standard and cause problems. I've read about Dougal's Provent mod, and many have found good results. I'd try it and see what happens after a few thousand mile/KM's.

My Isuzu 4BD2 came stock with a simple system consisting of baffled valve cover vent, plastic engine mounted separator with drains to sump and vents to atmosphere. It works dam well, simple, and most importantly, my intake and turbo look like new. Is it the environmentally benign option? No, but neither are any vehicles! Plus this 60 only see's a few thousand miles a year.

Well the mods done, now time will tell how well it’s worked. I posted these photos up on a local Hilux forum and got berated for being an idiot who thinks he’s smarter than a German engineer. You just can’t please some people.

Chopped out the valve seat.
5960CB7A-F121-4C4E-BF69-85400096D66F.jpeg

Locked the valve open with a zip tie. (Ghetto I know)
BD606F35-0099-416F-8576-9F3C8AAA40A2.jpeg

And a ghetto fab baffle plate just because.
1CAA92B9-69C0-4EA1-81F6-7FA0EF567292.jpeg

View attachment 2099174
I’ve pulled the line from the air box and venting to atmosphere now. Seems to run a little smoother now, but will see.

Well the mods done, now time will tell how well it’s worked. I posted these photos up on a local Hilux forum and got berated for being an idiot who thinks he’s smarter than a German engineer. You just can’t please some people.

Those German Engineers really ruined their reputation with the Provent. So much potential and they ruined it. Making the oil all go through the filter and drip past the clean outlet was ridiculous. As was having the clean outlet at the bottom!

The Provent will only work if you don't need it. It's like a lifejacket they forgot to make float!

Those German Engineers really ruined their reputation with the Provent. So much potential and they ruined it. Making the oil all go through the filter and drip past the clean outlet was ridiculous. As was having the clean outlet at the bottom!

The Provent will only work if you don't need it. It's like a lifejacket they forgot to make float!

It’s a shame because the can itself is really well built, I like the filter element vs having steel wool.
If I had access to a lathe right now I’d have a go at building one from scratch.

In my mind it makes the most sense for the vapour to hit a baffle plate (or multiple) to slow down the velocity and help condense the oil then go through a filter to pick up the final traces of oil.

You’re completely right about the drain port being on the wrong side.

My *guess* is the provent element gets over-saturated with all the oil flowing through, and once blowby reaches a certain point it vents to atmo through the overpressure valve. Still seems to keep the odors down at idle and the majority of oil out of the engine which is all I care about so happy to run it in its stock, questionably-designed form.

Still wishing for that magic bolt-on that will fix all my internal engine problems.

My *guess* is the provent element gets over-saturated with all the oil flowing through, and once blowby reaches a certain point it vents to atmo through the overpressure valve. Still seems to keep the odors down at idle and the majority of oil out of the engine which is all I care about so happy to run it in its stock, questionably-designed form.

Still wishing for that magic bolt-on that will fix all my internal engine problems.

No venting to atmo, just plenty of mess downstream of the filter.

As Dougal has explained, the drain port is on the wrong side of the filter, oil has to be forced through the filter to get to it meaning it has a chance to turn back into a vapour. The return port is also near the bottom meaning all the oil sitting in the drain port and the bottom of the unit can vapourish and be sucked right back into the intake.

If reverse flowed the captured oil at the base of the unit has to try and get through the filter and out the port at the top of the unit.

Completely agree that its a terrible design, but the provent has an overpressure valve in the cap, so if the filter becomes saturated, it will vent. Otherwise your oil is likely to exit via the dipstick. First hand experience with that, messing with coalescing filters.

Ran my vent to atmosphere and did my normal route to the cabin. The turbo does feel ever so slightly less responsive. I'm not sure why. It is still much better than it was with the stock airbox.

Hey man finally got my catch can install and its running to atmosphere and I gotta say, I feel the same thing you are describing.

A sort of lag in the system, reminds me of a slight vacuum leak or something. It pains me to agree with you since no one else has been, maybe we're just the two crazy ones

Last edited:

View attachment 2099174
Is the hose back to the air box now pre-air filter? So the post catch can air cycles through the air filter?

Another Flashlube here on the VDJ79 and one made by a company called Process West on the Ford Ranger - no complaints with either although doing it again I'd get the flashlube because it's a bit cheaper and seems to be effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom