Catch can advice (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BreckenridgeCruiser

I break things.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
teqtach.com
Hey all,

I am looking to install a catch can on my HZJ44. I have a good 1HZ with a the gturbo grunter turbo (running on average 5-10psi but occasionally pushing to 14-15. I have the breather tube venting to atmosphere and recently after a good push up a hill I had a few drips from the hose.

While my blowby seems pretty good for the usage, I still don't like dripping onto the pavement like that so I am looking to put a catch can of some kind inline in the breather hose. I am not dripping too much so I don't think I would need a huge one or a very restrictive one (I think one that has a vertical outlet would be fine for collecting the big stuff).

Any suggestions?

Only advise I can give is anything but Provent. In the process of switching over to a Moroso to 85465 right now. Not the cheapest option. Need a -12 AN fitting to 3/4" hose adapter as well if you go that route.

Edit: Doesn't Graham advise against running a catch can?

I am running that moroso as well. Except I got mad at it and ripped out the useless restrictive baffles on the top and now go from the valve cover to the top of the can, as it passes some wire mesh then the side outlet on the can returns to the air box. Seems to be working so far.... I had it vented to the ground but my steering shaft seal went so I was sucking in fumes, hence returning it to be burned.

I'm curious what makes you say that about the Provent? What makes it such a bad idea to you?

Dan

interested to know why not as well, i have one in my hands waiting to go on mine after coming to the conclusion it was one of the few sure fixes. I can't see what the problem with it would be.

I am running that moroso as well. Except I got mad at it and ripped out the useless restrictive baffles on the top and now go from the valve cover to the top of the can, as it passes some wire mesh then the side outlet on the can returns to the air box. Seems to be working so far.... I had it vented to the ground but my steering shaft seal went so I was sucking in fumes, hence returning it to be burned.
I will not have any return to the airbox. The Moroso only has 1 inlet - no return - venting to the atmosphere.

Used the Provent for a year and it never completely stopped blowby from getting into the IC, boost lines or turbo. Especially when wheeling. I cannot explain how - but it never worked for me. Possibly due to the arrangement of the inlet and outlet ports. Maybe you'll have better luck?

Now installing one with no return to the airbox and will then be able to comment with certainty.

I can however recommend what I've seen every German Cruiser running - tapping the valve cover to an external filter with a return line. $$$ But I've seen three of them - all turbo HZ's and NO white smoke whatsoever. No catch can. That's my next option....

Edit: Filter here: http://www.ntz-filter.com/index.php?id=11

Last edited:
tapping the valve cover to an external filter with a return line. $$$ But I've seen three of them - all turbo HZ's and NO white smoke whatsoever. No catch can. That's my next option....

sorry, but can you explain that in another way?, i don't quite follow... return oil line to sump?, return air line? the link to the filter is for an oil by-pass filter, something altogether different and popular in Germany that is designed to filter the engine oil (in addition to the high flow OEM filter) as to extend the oils working life and decrease oil change frequency.

Last edited:
Why not just recycle it back through the engine through the air intake?

I would like to avoid that for a few reasons.

1) I want to keep an eye on how much oil is being pushed out so a catch would be the best way to measure oil loss and blow by regularly

2) I want to be able to check the health of the turbo by looking in the intake. If I have two sources of oil that could coat the intake it will not be as indicative of one problem or another.

3) from what I have heard coating the intake and valves with oil can create performance loss due to fouling of injectors and valves.

K

@gbentink Any thoughts on this? Post #2 mentions you.

Wow! Even with the USD to AUD conversion that is expensive! Besides the specific mounting, I'm not sure what advantage this would have over a $50-$80 one...

Thanks @mudbludger! I am on mobile and couldn't remember Graeme's handle.

The issue I had with the filter at the top of the Morosso is that it would get sucked into my cabin air as it vents in the engine bay and I don't think the rubber seal across the hood line is 100%

This is why I removed the filter and put a coupling on it and made that the IN and the side outlet the OUT for back to the air filter

That hpd can looks very well made, I can see why they charge so much

http://hpdiesel.com.au/catch-can-video

I agree, very good engineering on face value, and the dipstick is a great idea. I got the provent mostly because of the ability to plumb it back into the sump (and forget about it), strange they would invest in that much engineering without going the extra step.

Like so....

D77_6327-MINI.jpg

D77_6327-MINI.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom