Catalytic Converter Theft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wonder why they couldn’t put VIN numbers on the cats to prevent this on the first place.. that is welcome news though.
Did you read the story? There was a huge criminal shop in NJ buying the stolen cats to render them down for their precious metals. They made hundreds of millions of dollars doing it. Of course a legitimate shop would check and verify the sale of cats with a VIN number, if so equiped, but these guys were crooks.

Surprising that the value of the thefts was half a billion dollars!! One reason our auto insurance is so high.

white knuckles rock sliders come with a guard to protect the converters which works well to protect thieves from stealing your Cats

If i remember right in Texas, you have the legal right to use the 2ND amendment to protect not only yourself, but your property too. If that bum's not careful, he just might end up receiving a high speed death injection. As that old saying goes, bums who play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
I took a concealed carry course in Pasadena Texas , and that’s not true there at all ,…

Didn;t read the whole thread so if this was already mentioned then ignore: etch your VIN on both cats and then paint in fluorescent orange or green. Any thief who sells to a legit buyer won't cut your's out.

Taken from my LX450 a few days ago. Very good thread for the 80’s, so thank you all.

D61B40D7-4468-4742-AC83-9037A558A4E7.jpeg
023B5DAB-D958-400D-B1D3-DA2E47366C3D.jpeg
BBE7E57F-202B-4E4B-92FA-31774A5ADBEE.jpeg

Have you gotten an estimate for parts and labor from your local dealership (to send to your insurance company)? It was discussed within the last few years
and IIRC that individual's insurance company reimbursed him the cost of OEM replacement parts and labor, so over $3000.
Great advice I hadn’t thought of Kernal…
Also they are clearly visible from the outside of the truck, especially if your lifted without sliders. You don’t even need to lie on your back, you can just kneel next to the truck slice away.

Good argument for white knuckle sliders with cat protection.

I hate these tweakers, they get $200 bucks for something that cost us victims thousands! I new of a guy who had it happen to him back to back in the same year. $4k each time (Chevy)
I used to think that about my wonderful WNOR sliders, but I was wrong…
They must be experienced at this. They used a new blade. May they rot in hades.
Yeah, they even left an old blade on my bumper. I’m hoping there’s a special place down there for this caliber of folks…
A relative of mine has a few ARLO cameras, he puts one up in a tree near the street looking back at the house and driveway and the others angled in such a way that he'll more likely get the license plate from a vehicle. FWIW.

I would be upset if someone did this to me, for a few minutes, until I remembered the cost difference between aftermarket and OEM replacements.

Personally I wouldn't want to harm the thief, just too much potential liability in today's world, "he was just stealing to buy gas to drive to the store to get baby formula--- and now he's in a wheelchair, ----". Then you become the next guy on C, N, N who's made out to be a nut with a gum, -----.

It also could be risky (as mentioned above), the perp might be armed and get off a lucky shot hitting someone in the house or the neighbors. I recall when a good samaritan tried to intervene in a robbery at a gas station, he was shot straight in the heart by the perp, dropped like a sack of potatoes, dead before he hit the floor. Not worth it for a couple of 25 year old cats, IMHO.

I'd first call the cops (while looking out the window holding my Gl o ck), take some photos of the thief and then the damage, then call my insurance company. After that I'd start checking prices for a new bumper, wheels, leather interior, ----.

The tech part of this post; what we need is a Wits End solution (laser etched
serial number kit, prefabed titanium cage,---) :) @NLXTACY
That is such a logical, true and grownup response, Kernal…however I think it may take a few more weeks before I stop wishing to have caught them in the act and given them 2 extra closely spaced 9mm orifices to consider 😡

we had ours stolen off the tacoma back in november in atlanta. we were at the hope lodge of all places where everyone there is dealing with cancer. talk about some low life bastards. had to drive the 140 miles home the day before thanksgiving with open exhaust. was 5 hours in that traffic and had us riding with ear plugs in.

if i ever catch someone doing it at the house i would need to explain to the neighbors why the tractor was fired up at 4 am but they would understand and probably come help.

Didn;t read the whole thread so if this was already mentioned then ignore: etch your VIN on both cats and then paint in fluorescent orange or green. Any thief who sells to a legit buyer won't cut your's out.
Anyone who buys cat converters from an unknown party isn't going to worry about VINs or paint - they'll just take a grinder and---
How do I know that? Well, uh, someone I don't know mentioned it to me, just in passing...

Taken from my LX450 a few days ago. Very good thread for the 80’s, so thank you all.

View attachment 3212748View attachment 3212749View attachment 3212750

Great advice I hadn’t thought of Kernal…

I used to think that about my wonderful WNOR sliders, but I was wrong…

Yeah, they even left an old blade on my bumper. I’m hoping there’s a special place down there for this caliber of folks…

That is such a logical, true and grownup response, Kernal…however I think it may take a few more weeks before I stop wishing to have caught them in the act and given them 2 extra closely spaced 9mm orifices to consider 😡
Good chance that blade has prints on it. Assuming anyone has time to check...

I went with the magnaflow option about a year ago as my original system had finally rusted out. No complaints so far, pretty good quality for the price. Fitment was spot on!

I went with the magnaflow option about a year ago as my original system had finally rusted out. No complaints so far, pretty good quality for the price. Fitment was spot on!
Looking at the Magnaflow. Did you do both cats and the Y-pipe, or change to single cat? (what I’ve been thinking about vs splicing in “cheap” cats vs replacing whole exhaust with custom SS and leaving cats out…ain’t about to replace with OEM, just can’t see it)

And thank you for your service sir…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom