Catalytic Converter Theft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I replaced my old rusted oem with the magnaflow pipe/cats a couple years ago on my (until recently) 97 daily. I have been very pleased with them and have had zero issues since replacement. I am very sorry to hear that. Worth seeing it insurance would cover oem replacement and install?

just happened to my brother last week (honda CRV, RTD Park and Ride lot)

Appreciate it! That’s not too bad at all. Did your check engine light stay off with the aftermarket cats?
It sure did. I only got 135K out of my original cats. I did some sleuthing and found in my eBay purchase reviews, I purchased "OBDII Converters Front Magnaflow" but it was so long ago eBay doesn't list the date I purchased them (but it's been over 5 years for sure) and the seller isn't registered on ebay anymore so I can't find the exact product I purchased. If I remember correctly, it was 2 cats and the Y pipe.

I'm worried about people stealing my cats too since they are so easy to access. I even looked into getting custom covers but the boys at Man-a-fre said there was nothing to really mount them to underneath. I don't wheel in my Cruiser and my wife needs the running boards to get in/out so sliders with cat protectors isn't an option I can do.

It sure did. I only got 135K out of my original cats. I did some sleuthing and found in my eBay purchase reviews, I purchased "OBDII Converters Front Magnaflow" but it was so long ago eBay doesn't list the date I purchased them (but it's been over 5 years for sure) and the seller isn't registered on ebay anymore so I can't find the exact product I purchased. If I remember correctly, it was 2 cats and the Y pipe.

I'm worried about people stealing my cats too since they are so easy to access. I even looked into getting custom covers but the boys at Man-a-fre said there was nothing to really mount them to underneath. I don't wheel in my Cruiser and my wife needs the running boards to get in/out so sliders with cat protectors isn't an option I can do.
Get the WKOR sliders that are flatter with treads to act as running boards. I got them at 10* because my son is disabled and we need something to step on to get in.

Not to be political, but i have a sinking feeling that these types of thefts will only get worse as time goes by. Since Russia is a big world wide exporter of platinum, and palladium used to make catalytic convertors. And has been placed under major sanctions preventing those exports. In the very near future due to this reduction in supply we will see a near vertical increase in the value of used catalytic converters on the recycling market, so expect more catalytic converter thefts.

Well, most states and cities that do not have any prosecutors that do anything about this problem :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

@man0fsteel one option that retains the running board setup but adds some cat protection are the Bump It Off Road step sliders. I've got a set of these and am pleased with the function, fit and finish and think that they may be enough to cause a cat thief to move to the next vehicle. You can see some photos of the cat protection here:

Site for these sliders:

Not to be political, but i have a sinking feeling that these types of thefts will only get worse as time goes by. Since Russia is a big world wide exporter of platinum, and palladium used to make catalytic convertors. And has been placed under major sanctions preventing those exports. In the very near future due to this reduction in supply we will see a near vertical increase in the value of used catalytic converters on the recycling market, so expect more catalytic converter thefts.
I thought most places were now requiring proof of ownership of the vehicle the cats came from for a sale to try to cut down on the thefts. Anyone know if this is the case?

Yea I know there will always be some sketchy places that take them but I thought there was some kind of federal or state mandate to at least make it a little harder for thieves to unload them.
Yes, many states do require that but as stated there is no shortage of crooks on the receiving end of these. People stealing them already have arrangements to off load them.

I thought most places were now requiring proof of ownership of the vehicle the cats came from for a sale to try to cut down on the thefts. Anyone know if this is the case?
It is, but the thieves don’t just take their load to the scrap yard. They hit areas and move on. It like a black market operation.

What exactly does someone do with a used cat? Take the precious metals out of it and make molds for their teeth? Asking for a friend.

What exactly does someone do with a used cat? Take the precious metals out of it and make molds for their teeth? Asking for a friend.
The current scrap market price for the precious metals used to make cats is only going one way right now, and that's UP in value. So that's exactly what they are doing with them, they reclaim those precious metals. Hop on you tube, and check out all the DAY LIGHT thefts caught on camera in California, they are having a huge problem right now with these thefts. Stuff like this is one of the big reason why i moved out of the city, I'm now living in the country and don't have to worry about this kind of crap to much.

I have a 94 and have considered cutting out my cats and selling them before someone else does... how dumb does this idea sound?

I have a 94 and have considered cutting out my cats and selling them before someone else does... how dumb does this idea sound?

And sell them for scrap yourself?

Last I checked >25 year old vehicles are exempt from smog checks in TX, so you could always have a shop weld in a straight pipe, now or if/when someone steals your cats. Not sure if your engine would start throwing codes although I am sure it has been discussed in the desmog threads.

Not sure if your engine would start throwing codes although I am sure it has been discussed in the desmog threads.
His 94 has both of his O2 sensors placed up stream of his cats, (unlike the 95-97 that has one O2 sensor before, and one after the cats) so removing both cats should not cause any codes to be thrown.

His 94 has both of his O2 sensors placed up stream of his cats, (unlike the 95-97 that has one O2 sensor before, and one after the cats) so removing both cats should not cause any codes to be thrown.
Just would make sense to make myself some money rather than some bum cutting them off and selling them?

Just would make sense to make myself some money rather than some bum cutting them off and selling them?
If i remember right in Texas, you have the legal right to use the 2ND amendment to protect not only yourself, but your property too. If that bum's not careful, he just might end up receiving a high speed death injection. As that old saying goes, bums who play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

If i remember right in Texas, you have the legal right to use the 2ND amendment to protect not only yourself, but your property too. If that bum's not careful, he just might end up receiving a high speed death injection. As that old saying goes, bums who play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
😂😂😂 amen

4h25ze24slv31.jpg
rgc0a6mwwd081.jpg
rfksk8fw10v71.jpg

My personal favorite:
6svvsna5vdx71.jpg

From what I've read, these are large operations and the cats are ultimately going into shipping containers and sent directly overseas.

I've started seeing articles about the thieves being armed with guns, so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom