Carolina Relic Run 2019 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got any more info you can share on this one? Me likey.
69 was a great year, where is the rust????

There is surface rust all over it, some pitting on Pas door where someone bondoed it. There is a tear, for lack of better terms on the driver side at the bottom near rear tire. Front fenders appear to have some bondo in them. Seats need to be recovered but all hardware is there. Top needs to be refurbished. It has not run in at least 12 years that I am aware of.

I bought it for myself but the reality is I have neither the time nor inclination to build it. I have too many other projects ahead of it. It is all there as far as I can see and the only non OEM part I see is the carb and air cleaner.

I needs work. It is also good bones for a starting point.

So, I got to the shelf, and I was fairly ok lined up. I tried climbing and no luck due to tire pressure and the fact that my tires were all wet. I engaged the front lockers trying to make it over the shelf and that exactly on my front went sideways. The more I think the more I believe engaging that front lockers was a mistake j set the circumstances. Anyways, I've definitely learned something, so it's all good...😁

Yea going through that puddle before getting to the rocks definitely didn't help you out! Hey you made it out without damaging your rig, and I know the memo is to only pick on you and not say good things about you.
But I was impressed with how calm you were after almost flipping and waiting for us to figure out a good line for you.

so with the line he took and the conditions would of it been better to go with a locked rear and open front on that one?

I would say that condition would have made his back end slide to put him more straight on with the climb. You live and you learn.
Even after almost flipping he didn't care to run cable to make sure it didn't get tippy like that again.

My understanding of the factors at play are as follows:

With the front locker engaged, both front wheels spin at the same rate. So in this case, that caused him to "corkscrew" over to the right quicker than the front not been locked.

With the front unlocked, the one front wheel without traction would've gotten the power, and the other tire wouldn't have been spinning, which *may* have kept him from sliding so much.

I am an intermediate wheeler at best, so if someone with more experience can join in and confirm or dispute my assessment above, that would be greatly appreciated. I certainly dont want to diseminate false information (this is the internet after all, the land of absolute truth!) Academic discussions and "armchair wheeling" is a beneficial tool, so I'm happy if we can all learn a bit from Mitch's almost accident.

so with the line he took and the conditions would of it been better to go with a locked rear and open front on that one?
That's how I started out. Rear locked front open. It just my tires didn't have enough grip to make it over the front edge.

My understanding of the factors at play are as follows:

With the front locker engaged, both front wheels spin at the same rate. So in this case, that caused him to "corkscrew" over to the right quicker than the front not been locked.

With the front unlocked, the one front wheel without traction would've gotten the power, and the other tire wouldn't have been spinning, which *may* have kept him from sliding so much.

I am an intermediate wheeler at best, so if someone with more experience can join in and confirm or dispute my assessment above, that would be greatly appreciated. I certainly dont want to diseminate false information (this is the internet after all, the land of absolute truth!) Academic discussions and "armchair wheeling" is a beneficial tool, so I'm happy if we can all learn a bit from Mitch's almost accident.
That's pretty much how it goes. I've red about a case when somebody on a G-wagon locked his front diff and turn the steering all the way sideways in order to pull away from a tree he was stuck against
In ideal situation, with the steering straight and no slippery condition you should be able to go straight ahead. Slightly off camber and with wet wheels you may end up like I did.

Can someone explain to the ignorant why locking the front would make it crab to the right?
I was slightly of camber tilted right. When I engaged the front the path of least resistance with wet tires was to slide my front sideways thant going uphill without any momentum going for me.

There's a lot of "See, what had happened was..." going on, combined with input from all ends of the spectrum of levels of experience.
The video from above
I know the real problem..not enough skinny pedal! :hillbilly:
That is actually a true statement.

Oh, I beg to differ Sir. 😁
I respectfully disagree... Ultimately, it was a strong "bump it" that got you up over the ledge after a couple "less enthusiastic" throttle bumps.
Once you were realigned, as in back off the slab entirely, and you again were stymied by the ledge, a short back-up and strong throttle bump lifted you over the ledge (could have been done open as well), where slow crawling would have resulted in the same lateral crab walk that created the initial "Oh Sh!t".

I would've taken what appears to be a much easier bypass to the right :)

That’s exactly what I did... I wimped out on just about every bypass I could on that trail! My blue and white 40 was just before... 😂😂😂

That’s exactly what I did... I wimped out on just about every bypass I could on that trail! My blue and white 40 was just before... 😂😂😂
I don't know man.. you took a couple hard paths in the rock scrambles that followed and I was amazed! Especially since your initial plan was to by pass
I'll also give it up to Lex for his ambitious spotting and convincing you to go the hard way :clap:

Gotta push you comfort level every once in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom