Builds Cape Town Troop Carrier CTTC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Congrats and snap on the grandchild... such a wonderful distraction.
The build is looking nice and spacious and open, awesome job. Looking forward to more pics.

Looking good.

I think we need to arrange a "show and tell" gathering in the Cape, where we can all spy on what everyone else is doing!
Good idea! Will let you know when we are coming down to Cape Town so we can arrange a Troopbraai!

Get them acquainted with the Cruiser as soon as possible. I can hardly get my grandson out of mine!

IMG_1792.jpeg

Oh, the anticipation! A young German couple just passed through Vancouver Island in their HZJ78 Troopy in the way to Tierra Del Fuego. So you're not the only jealous one! I'm humbly getting my steering gear box rebuilt for my BJ74
Do you remember if the guys name was Fabian? If so, ran into them in Baja. Nice people.

It took us almost a year to get this far, but thanks to lockdown, we finally finished the cabinets! I will only be able to make cushions and window treatments when we are “free” to shop for fabric etc. – AND when we have saved up some money again.

20200414_180741.jpg

20200414_181031.jpg

20200411_171044.jpg

There is nothing I would love to do more right now than to drive to Livingston, Zambia, to see Victoria Falls in full flood. But since that is absolutely impossible, we will have to camp in our own back yard for the time being. Stay safe and healthy!

Loving what you've done with the interior. In my opinion, it's the toughest part of the build and one that I've been going over and over in my head for the past 12 months.

Looks like you've made good use of isolation. Wish my Troopy was with me to do some stuff like this also but alas, taking the time to do some mechanical and fabrication modifications.

Stay safe!

Loving what you've done with the interior. In my opinion, it's the toughest part of the build and one that I've been going over and over in my head for the past 12 months.

Looks like you've made good use of isolation. Wish my Troopy was with me to do some stuff like this also but alas, taking the time to do some mechanical and fabrication modifications.

Stay safe!
Thank you! As you can see from earlier in this thread, this is our second attempt at building a setup. We only decided on this layout after camping in the vehicle for a long time, establishing exactly what we needed to take, how long we spend in the car itself, the manner in which we travel etc., etc. This will be different for everyone. I used to be an architectural technician, and I found that every client had unique needs and preferences. So even when I designed a townhouse complex with more than 100 perfectly similar houses, every client wanted me to make some little change to their specific house. I can only hope that this setup will be the one to work for us, because frankly I am just over woodwork, and ready to ENJOY SOME CAMPING!!!

Great workmanship guys, looks superb! Love the rounded end cabinets!

I might have missed it in earlier posts, but could you talk us through your design considerations on how you chose this unique layout?

Do you have a detailed photo of the 'inside' of the big rear door? Looks like an interesting solution. I just have a small opening and keep 'loosing' things I stuff there and getting stuck in the door mechanism :bang:

I might have missed it in earlier posts, but could you talk us through your design considerations on how you chose this unique layout?

Do you have a detailed photo of the 'inside' of the big rear door? Looks like an interesting solution. I just have a small opening and keep 'loosing' things I stuff there and getting stuck in the door mechanism :bang:
Thank you Paul! I found this picture on the internet years ago, but could not get any info on the car and can't remember where I found it. We just presumed it to be a Dutch or German Troopy, because it's left hand drive. We just loved that it was open and spacious, yet afforded enough cabinets for all the necessary "stuff", and it could also convert into bedspace down stairs if needed. It would be EPIC is you knew this car?!?! (Just look at the timber roof lining! 🤪)
20181205_144309.jpg

We used this for our inspiration, and it grew from there.

Here are 2 pics of the kitchen box on the big barn door.
FB_IMG_1557899422661.jpg

and
20190520 FB_IMG_1557899434772.jpg

Alu-Innovations in Cape Town builds this (called a Versabox) as a unit, and I'm sure they would ship it overseas. You will easily be able to fit it yourself. I hope this answers your question?

You have absolutely nailed it... so spacious and clean. Would love to see some design details.
flippen awesome!!!
I can paste some drawings to explain our design.

RHS.jpg

Box 1 contains the Engel freezer. These drawer fridges are very versatile because you can leave the compressor unit behind the drawer or move it to either side of the drawer, or locate it in a completely different area for up to 1,50 m away from the actual drawer. We turned the freezer's compressor unit at 90 deg's to the left of the drawer so that it now ventilates toward the front, behind the passenger seat.

Box 2 will contain the lithium iron battery, inverter, all components for the solar setup and a water purifier. We have not installed any of these yet.

Box 3 is just a shallow cubby for odds and ends. The bottom is about 2,0 cm higher than the wheel arch, so that we can run cables underneath to Box 5, and a water pipe behind Box 4 and up to the gullwing window where we will attach the 3,5 kW Speedheat shower head.

Box 4 will serve as the pantry, and I will still add some compartments inside when I start working out the contents of this box.

Box 5 will contain all pots, pans and kitchen utensils. The back of the lower half of this cupboard is open towards the wheel arch so that pan handles etc. can stick in there, and also for ventilation of the fridge next door.

RHS 2.jpg

Box 6 is for the porta-potti. We had to cut the "floor" out here, because the potti is 300mm high, and because we wanted to keep the top of our seating area at 300mm we had to lower the potti into the floor plank. We attached an aluminium tray to the floor, and then the potti on top of that, so that we could still have the 12 mm wood lid over.

Box 7 is where the fridge lives, and it is reinforced with aluminium angle iron, because we will use it as a step to climb to and from the "top floor".

LHS.jpg

Box 8 is just made up of 2 compartments for clothing, and will probably still get a shelf somewhere. The bottom plank hinges on the floor so that it opens up in front of the left hand side wheel arch. This is not a big space at all, but will be nice for storing shoes etc.

Box 9 will house spares, the jack and our Desert Fox chairs.

LHS 2.jpg

The plan is to make a table (or two smaller ones) with extendable legs which could be either 300 mm or 600 mm high. It will fit into the opening between the fridge and box 8, and when @ 300 mm high is will close up the sleeping platform for the odd occasion that we will have to sleep inside. When the legs are extended to 600 mm it can be used as a workstation inside, or as a normal table for use outside. It will slide in on it's side and will attach to box 8 with some kind of bracket or magnets. All this is still very far in the future though :)

Last edited:
Tjan
Thank you Paul! I found this picture on the internet years ago, but could not get any info on the car and can't remember where I found it. We just presumed it to be a Dutch or German Troopy, because it's left hand drive. We just loved that it was open and spacious, yet afforded enough cabinets for all the necessary "stuff", and it could also convert into bedspace down stairs if needed. It would be EPIC is you knew this car?!?! (Just look at the timber roof lining! 🤪)
View attachment 2274542

We used this for our inspiration, and it grew from there.

Here are 2 pics of the kitchen box on the big barn door.
View attachment 2274546

and
View attachment 2274551

Alu-Innovations in Cape Town builds this (called a Versabox) as a unit, and I'm sure they would ship it overseas. You will easily be able to fit it yourself. I hope this answers your question?

Thanks! Looks like a beautiful product, but Im just interested in the ‘insert’. Think I can fabricate something similar. ;)

The carpentry in that example you uploaded is next level, must be a professional yacht interior builder! Never seen it before, very swanky!

Great setup.

What are your plans for powering the induction cooker? Interested in running one also but all the ones I see require a lot of power.
The induction plate we installed uses a maximum of 1200W. I have the same kind of induction plate in my home kitchen. It has 6 power settings, and we seldom go over setting 4. The inverter we will be using will be between 2700W and 3500W, together with a 200 A/hr lithium iron battery system. The reason for the larger inverter is that we are planning for a new kind of water heater system for our shower, which will be using up to 3000W. The solar panel we have is a 440W 2,0m x 1,0m unit.

Hi Rodney!

We cut the old platform in half, welded in square tubing on the new edges, and covered them with carpet so that they will not squeek.

View attachment 2093674

Each platform got a second hinge.

View attachment 2093683

We added a small piece of aluminium angle in the middle of the bed platform for the two 'new' platforms to rest on.

View attachment 2093686

View attachment 2093693

I hope these are helping!
Alet
Hi Alet. Thanks again so much for this. I will likely have this done this week. Takes me a while to get around to things but I don't generally forget. Hope you are well.

Rodney.

Hi Alet. Thanks again so much for this. I will likely have this done this week. Takes me a while to get around to things but I don't generally forget. Hope you are well.

Rodney.
Good luck with the work! We are well, but VERY frustrated because we are not allowed to travel. We are still in lockdown, and even when some regulations are lifted on 1 June, we can not cross provincial borders. This means that I haven't seen my grandchild (or children) for 3 months. The Troopy is also feeling very neglected :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom