Capabilites of Stock 40 & Headers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If I restore my 40 to stock, rims and all, what kinda stuff could I tackle off road?
I don't plan to go rock crawling or anything, just a easy trail to our camping spot. A 1990 Ford Ranger with 4x4 takes it in stride with only a minor spot for potential driveshaft scraping that can be bypassed by driving a little on the side.
Whats the redline on the F155 motor?

Also, how are the experiences of the ManitAintFree 6 in 1 headers and 3 in 2 headers? Do they add any substantial horsepower? Does it decrease ground clearance? Also, I have the PTO winch, and I want to know if interfeer with the PTO shaft. Are there any other headers avalible for a 73' 40?

Ah, how hard is it to rebuild a carb?

If you're going for stock it's odd, with a little work they can get to say 75% of the spots you wanna go or at least I wanna go. Stock I would guess maybe 50%... I'm not impressed with my fairly stock rig, not much flex and I just don't consider it great offroad. With that said a rear locker in a stock rig if you could deal with an Aussie would get you going well. If you would rather have it not effect your day to day driving a stock 40 with a front locker I would consider to be fairly damn good.

Redline for the F155 is around 4000 RPM. Well, that's what it likes.

The MAF 6>1 headers are about the only headers that will work with the PTO winch driveshaft, and only if you get it just right. (Been there, done that.) Stock exhaust fits better and much easier, if you want the PTO setup. They will not improve your clearance over the stock setup.

I would say that headers add no more than 7% horsepower (I base this on Downey's catalog, where they discuss their testing of this) "but up at a useless 4500 RPM." Therefore, I would not get headers to gain horsepower, only because you can't find a stock exhaust manifold or think the sound of headers is fun.

One piece 6>1 MAF headers are harder than 2 piece headers or stock manifold to seal at the manifold gasket.

Your stock F155 setup will be very happy doing what you are asking of it in your post.

What makes you think more power will make your rig more capable off road? Are you mud bogging? Otherwise Lockers, gears, tires, tires and flex make a rig more capable. I drive my 40 over everything at 200rpm make maybe 20 hp, Top for my 155 is prolly around 100 HP these days.

Anyway I would say just get yourself a set of 33x9.5s and you will prolly get to about anywhere you want to go camping.

oh yeah, I meant Capabilited of a Stock 40, and Questions about headers, not toghter. Im not saying that the headers will help me or anything. Just wanted to stick two questions togther so I dont clog up the forums.

So, are the 6 in 1 headers worth it, or shall I just stay with a stock exhaust manifold?

stay with stock exhaust, and a stock fj40 wiill do anything you want it to. Its no mud bogger or rockclimber, but its one of the the best "off the shelf" 4x4's ever built. It will get you to your camping spot with no problems.

If you have functioning stock exhaust, definitely stick with it. You'll only fight exhaust leaks with the 6>1.

IDave said:
If you have functioning stock exhaust, definitely stick with it. You'll only fight exhaust leaks with the 6>1.

agreed

Hate mine, wish my stock manifold didn't break. :frown:

Another vote for stock exhaust.

Headers = more noise, more heat, more leaks, potential PTO interference, all for some power you might (or might not) notice

If you do go headers, know that some are better than others, and IMO the 6>1 are the worst. Not sure which ones are compatible with the PTO though.

FJ40s are pretty capable vehicles, I would spend time/money on repairs and tuning before upgrades. You may find you don't even need any upgrades for what you're using it for.

stock 40's

...are fun as hell to drive.

My first 40 was(still is) a 350 powered beast. Lots of fun, lots of breakage. But the one that brought a lot of smiles to my face was a bone stock '69 fj40, 3 on the tree,vacuum s*** 4wd. It was just fun as hell..why? not sure..it just was.

my fj45 is pretty much stock except for some crappy leaf springs (Mcoy/ironman) and 33x9.5's. And it wheels quite well for where I point it to go.

hope that helps.....

ok, so I'm prolly gonna stick with the stock manifold, and restore it to stock. Where would you buy a stock manifold?

Thanks for all your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom