Can't undo the front diff drain plug..fml. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tried every breaker bar I own and I just keep twisting the 10mm torx bits and plug still there. Any other ideas? Take it to the dealer and hope?

You could try welding (or having someone else weld) a nut to the cap.

Heat (within reason) and beat.
Get a small torch to heat the area, tap the plug with a wrench or hammer, try to remove. Repeat.
Don't over heat or over beat, obviously.

Edit: Is the plug stripped or just won't turn? If it won't turn, see above. If it's stripped, you'll need to weld.

Last edited:
A local shop pounded a large torx bit into the wallowed-out allen hole and got it to move for me. Next step would have been welding.. I'd bet even a muffler shop would do that for you.

If you don't already have it lexus makes a part for the IS series that replaces the allen hole with a 14mm bolt head. MUCH better part.

It’s stripped. Chisel it, or a BFH on a brass hammer that is against the plug. That should break the rust from the crush washer. then slam a larger bit in.

It’s not really stripped. I actually bent the torx bit but the plug is ok. It’s like someone tightened it with an impact or soenthing

Try the double hammer trick

As mentioned above, repeated heating from torch should work. And Kroil. If that fails, welding a nut is a solution, which a mechanic or muffler or body shop should be able to do.

I think I’d try an impact next. I think in this application you’re less likely to damage it with an impact. I’m in the fortunate position of having multiple impacts to choose from, so I’d work my way up, but I think a 3/8 impact might yield success. I haven’t done mine, are you sure you have exact the right bit? There are like three variations of torx and none are “10mm”. Is it a 10mm Allen?

For “mid size”, I’m partial to my 3/8 ingersoll air impact. If I’m concerned about over doing it, I start with a variable makita 18 volt

Yeah striking the brass hammer with a regular hammer. Brass will deform and shock the plug without damaging it. I’m assuming the crush washer has rusted/fused as they are prone to do

It’s probably worth picking up a replacement plug...

Also, maybe buy a PB Swiss or Snappy tool with a bit more leverage?

I had this issue. In the end I bought a cheap toaster welder and learned how to weld (poorly) and eventually got a good enough weld on a coupler nut to twist it out.
Getting a shop to do it is $50 cheaper, but now I have a hobby welder to play with for other stuff.

I am digging around for the part number that has a regular head on it instead of the hex key for replacement

^thanks for that, I will definitely pick one of those up. I will try the hammer route first and see what happens. Thanks gents

Yup should do the job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom