Can't undo the front diff drain plug..fml. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If that's the replacement plug I used it isn't available at toyota, Lexus only.

Don't feel all alone, this is frequently encountered. Make sure you torque correctly when reinstalling.

Would think you’d need a brass drift too?

yea so the hammer/heat thing didn't work and now I have a stripped plug... Guess now I need to try and find a shop to weld a nut onto it?

IMG_1945.JPG

Or a shop with an air chisel

Try vise grips on the perimeter. Heat with a heat gun prior to. I have also heated the entire plug a heat gun and then freeze it with a can of liquid air used to clean keyboards. To use the temp differential to bust the corrosion loose.

i think I am just going to have a shop do it. I don't want to mess with it.

Yep already have the new plug and washer. I already broke lose the filler bolt and toqued to 29ft lb

I’d be done messing with it and going to a shop. Consider removing your skids before going if you don’t want to risk them messing up any threads or losing any bolts.

Call around, maybe different in Canadia but not all shops are certified to weld. I tried all the above suggestions too, previous owner/shop had stripped out the plug while probably in the process of over-torquing. Took it to a nice guy I know (@RET2) and he welded an old torx bit (nut would work too but a bit is longer and probably easier to hold while welding) to it and it was off in no time flat. A 5 minute job.

Since you have to replace the plug anyway, just use a hammer and chisel. Place the chisel on the outer circumference of the nut and hit it so you're turning the nut counter clockwise. A shop will do the same thing - don't over think it. :)

If you're dead set on the chisel method let a reputable shop do it incase it goes south. That way if it hits the fan they have the issue not you.

Since you have to replace the plug anyway, just use a hammer and chisel. Place the chisel on the outer circumference of the nut and hit it so you're turning the nut counter clockwise. A shop will do the same thing - don't over think it. :)
Not as easy as you think. But hey OP give it a go and let us know how it turns out 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom