Can an alternator be made or bought water"proof".? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:confused: Im working my way up to installing a snorkel. Ive extended my axle breathers and looking for all possible water inlets. My distributor is shot (full of mud/water). TPI tells me they can replace it with one that is pretty much water proof?

What do I do about the alternator? Can it be protected from deep water crossins? One suggestion was to wire it to the electric fan and turn em both off before going under??? I welcome all insight!!! :confused:

the distributor was usually the last point if issue when I did water stuff....dielectric grease for all the plug wires and other electrical connections combined with a some silicone around the cap/dist contact area usually covered it pretty well....splash usually won't effect the dist, but pools in other places.

IMO, on the alternator, spend the bling for one from Autozone or some other lifetime warranty place, and plan to take in yearly....seriously, that's been the best long-term investment. I'd even spring for a GM-style and convertion any I6 mounts to install it....$100 up front, never pay it again, and pick a droid store that's common to the places you wheel.

the only way you'll turn "off" the alt is to remove the belt....

water is not a killer of alts, but the mud, sand and gunga in water is.

good point Pimp....rinse the alt after every trip with clean water, or even better, distilled water...same with the starter, since it's another non-grime item....

also, don't seal the motor itself up too terribly tight...it has to breathe....I had mine so sealed at one point that the only "breathe" point was the weakest seal...happened to be the timing cover seal for the balancer...filled the block...

changed that to run the breather into the glove box.....mucho better.

woody said:
good point Pimp....rinse the alt after every trip with clean water, or even better, distilled water...same with the starter, since it's another non-grime item....

also, don't seal the motor itself up too terribly tight...it has to breathe....I had mine so sealed at one point that the only "breathe" point was the weakest seal...happened to be the timing cover seal for the balancer...filled the block...

changed that to run the breather into the glove box.....mucho better.
and didn't replace the motor ;)

The lifetaimn warranty approach works well (if you don't mind abusing it this way...)

Water is not a problem for the alt. Sometimes it will stop charging for a short period when it is absolutely full (submerged) but it drains and works again shortly.
Silt and mud that the water carries into the alt and leave behind is the real problem. Flushing it all out after a run is a good thing. A good dousing with WD 40 ater the water can't hurt either. If (like myself and the guys I run with) you spend a lot of time crossing silty water, repeatedly for a couple/several days when you go out, you are going to see shortened alternator life. It's ust part of the game. :(

Mark...

The alt has to be open to stay cool enough - that thing on the pulley is a fan.

There IS a product that can help with connectors though. It's sold for rubberizing tool handles- some kind of rubber/vinyl that's liquid in the can but solidifies when painted on. I've got it in the local true value and seen one brand of it in the Harbor Frieght store. Comes in different colors too.

(if you don't mind abusing it this way...)

Maybe I missed something but what's wrong with paying for something then using what you paid for? They don't say not valid in things that cross water or don't get wet I don't think so it seems to me if you get a lifetime and it breaks in that timeframe there's no abuse in exchanging it. Maybe I just missed something though..

I guess it's in one's definitions of 'use', 'abuse' and/or 'misuse'.

The company that offers this doesn't anticipate that you will be replacing the alternator every few months for the next several years aftere paying for it once. Not due to any flaw in the alternator but due to your unusual emands on it. What you or I may consider normal use of our rigs is not what the average driver/customer considers normal and not the situation that they are anticipating when they offer this warranty. Are you doing violating any specified conditions when you use this warranty this way? Usually not. Like mentioned above "use, abuse, misuse" and so on are pretty vauge terms. Are you busting the spirit of it wide open? Yep.

Few parts stores will worry about it if you do a regular business with them and you don't push the warranty thing too far. BuT you're definitely taking advantage of a loophole.

Mark...

jdcombs said:
:confused: Im working my way up to installing a snorkel. Ive extended my axle breathers and looking for all possible water inlets. My distributor is shot (full of mud/water). TPI tells me they can replace it with one that is pretty much water proof?

What do I do about the alternator? Can it be protected from deep water crossins? One suggestion was to wire it to the electric fan and turn em both off before going under??? I welcome all insight!!! :confused:

I think this might be worth a try
http://www.yachtsofstuff.com/userPostings.asp?xID=yachtsofstuff&cexs=pro-tect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom